Best brand of ethernet cable..

I need to wire up a new rack and was wondering if anyone had any brands that they prefer or like to stay away from when it comes to cable.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

monoprice.com works well.

Lately I've been preferring the 'made in usa' variants of 1000ft Cat5e spools from blackbox.com
    Tranquil Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by JonL View Post
    Gets my vote as well
    Best Regards,

Mark

I ended up getting Monoprice at Amazon.. $86/1000ft for Yellow. Wanted blue, but I'm not paying $20 more for a different color. lol

Edit: haha, after I bought it, it went up to $108
    Last edited by Encrypted; 01-12-2014 at 12:32 AM.
    NEPA Fiber

Good choice as well, but never had any problems with any other brands yet.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

Quote Originally Posted by Encrypted View Post
    I ended up getting Monoprice at Amazon.. $86/1000ft for Yellow. Wanted blue, but I'm not paying $20 more for a different color. lol

Edit: haha, after I bought it, it went up to $108
    Did it ship yet? I bought a spool for a dev rack on 31DEC13 that is still 'tendered to ups' and they sent a replacement on 08JAN13 with the same status.
    VIPNode - a TeamRSS, LLC Company
    Reinventing Hosting - www.VIPNode.net

General Cable, Coleman Cable (not a huge fan of how their cable pays out of the box however), and Superior Essex are all brands that I've worked with that are good quality. I'd be really careful buying cheap unbranded cable as you don't know the quality of the cable. It could be copper clad aluminum cable which may not work correctly & certify. Be on the lookout for counterfeit cable too.

http://www.cablinginstall.com/articl...ting-ugly.html

I use them and I love how many different colors of cables they stock. Also they have pretty good deals on spindles of ethernet cable and connectors for cheap if you want to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by VIPNode-Nick View Post
    Did it ship yet? I bought a spool for a dev rack on 31DEC13 that is still 'tendered to ups' and they sent a replacement on 08JAN13 with the same status.
    Not yet, I probably should have bought it directly from Monoprice.com because I bought something else from them last night anyway.
    NEPA Fiber

Another +1 for Monoprice.com, never had any issues.

Monoprice or CablesAndKits are my choices.
    Preetam Jinka

Isomerous - High performance web services for business and individuals.
    Bitcable Colocation, KVMs, cPanel hosting, Oracle expertise, and more.

One question, you say wire up a rack. Does that mean from wall jacks to a patch panel, or from a rackmounted switch to other rackmounted devices (servers, network infrastructure, etc)?

If wall jacks to patch panel, then yes bulk box of [solid core] cable is the way to go. If rackmounted equipment only, then you should be buying factory made patch cables. Not only will it save time, it will save potential errors from poorly hand terminated cables. Look for stranded patch cables as they will bend the best without breaking or kinking.

I buy factory made patch cables from deepsurplus. Not sure if they are the best, but I have not had a bad cable yet. They also throw in a bag of Skittles with each order

I purchase from MonoPrice and DeepSurplus. Primarily MonoPrice, but if I need a special cable (longer or special connectors), I go with DeepSurplus. Some of their pre-molded patch cables seem to be very similar (manufactured in the same factory).
    Jason Canady
    Unlimited Net, LLC • AS11990
    Responsive, Reliable, Secure
    Dedicated Server Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by jzukerman View Post
    If wall jacks to patch panel, then yes bulk box of [solid core] cable is the way to go. If rackmounted equipment only, then you should be buying factory made patch cables. Not only will it save time, it will save potential errors from poorly hand terminated cables. Look for stranded patch cables as they will bend the best without breaking or kinking.
    It will also cost twice as much and leave an unorganized mess in the back of the rack. It's much cleaner when you cut the cable to size.
    NEPA Fiber

It will also cost twice as much and leave an unorganized mess in the back of the rack. It's much cleaner when you cut the cable to size.
    A lot of that depends on your equipment refresh cycle.

Cutting everything to length looks great for the equipment on day 1, but if you ever change your rack layout (say going from 1U boxes to blade server chassis) you end up having to re-cut and re-terminate many/most of those connections again. You do that enough times, and you've exceeded the cost of just buying manufactured patch cables in the first place.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Do you know how long it would take to manually wire every rack?
    Doing a neat, tidy, and aesthetically pleasing wiring job with pre-made cables takes a long time to begin with... there's no way to feasibly create cabling for every rack if you are doing any sort of volume... also having nice wiring usually depends on having all the equipment in place right off the bat, not adding servers in piece meal as they are sold.

I'm not a fan of the Monoprice cable, as it's stiffer than stranded cable should be and has lots of little kinks in it. Functionally, I haven't had any problems with it, but cosmetically it isn't as nice to look at, and it just doesn't instill as much confidence coming out of a box as opposed to high quality cable off a spool.

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    Do you know how long it would take to manually wire every rack?
    No more than a day's work, assuming 40 servers with public + private + KVMoIP, for 120 cables / 240 ends. Someone good at crimping can do it in half a day.

Doing a neat, tidy, and aesthetically pleasing wiring job with pre-made cables takes a long time to begin with... there's no way to feasibly create cabling for every rack if you are doing any sort of volume...
    There's nothing inherently difficult to scale with cabling. You just need to have the manpower to do it. I'm not sure how the numbers work out between the cost savings in cable vs the labour costs spent, but it would be a small portion of overall operating costs either way. Given the nature of the DC tech role, and having sufficient staffing for peak times, there tends to be some idle time for the techs anyway, so that negates a lot of the labour time/costs.

also having nice wiring usually depends on having all the equipment in place right off the bat, not adding servers in piece meal as they are sold.
    Depends on your rack layouts. For dedicated servers, we typically have particular rack configurations, with certain parts of the rack designated for certain types of servers. It can be challenging for shared colo though, but the same applies for crimping vs pre-made in that case.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami