Why are .co domains so expesive at resellers

Does anyone know why it all every reseller account I have looked at .co domains are $25+ per year, while I can go to a retail registrar such as godaddy or name.com and get a .co for ~$13 per year? Are the retail sites just taking a loss on .co's to make them more affordable or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan524 View Post
    Does anyone know why it all every reseller account I have looked at .co domains are $25+ per year, while I can go to a retail registrar such as godaddy or name.com and get a .co for ~$13 per year? Are the retail sites just taking a loss on .co's to make them more affordable or what?
    What a co incidence, I have renewed a .co domain from godaddy while I open this thread.

Anyhow, Godaddy and namecheap have a promo for .co registration but renewal are the normal. Check their websites for details.
    Modelwebhost.com
    [US/UK] Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMReseller | Softaculous | WHMCS | Dedicated IP | SSL
    We accept Paypal, 2checkout, Credit Cards, Payza, OKPAY and Bank payments

It's called a chain...

Godaddy and Name are Registrars.

Resellers are resellers.

Chain:

- Registry
    - Registrar (price + Icann fee)
    - Resellers (price + Icann fee + profit added by the registrar)
    - Sub resellers or Customers (all above + profit)
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

If your parent ICANN registrar is running promo, most probably you will also get some promo price. Like if you are a reseller of ResellerClub.com you will have to depend on ResellerClub to get promo price.

Different registrars runs different promo on different domains time-to-time. Godaddy do have lots of promo/coupons for first year registration.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    It's called a chain...

Godaddy and Name are Registrars.

Resellers are resellers.

Chain:

- Registry
    - Registrar (price + Icann fee)
    - Resellers (price + Icann fee + profit added by the registrar)
    - Sub resellers or Customers (all above + profit)
    First your example isn't quote right as I believe the Icann fee does not apply to the .co TLD.

Regardless I don't think you are understanding what I am referring to.

There are Retail Registrars like Godaddy and Name.com. Then their are Reseller/Wholesale registrars who provided reseller accounts, think enom, Wild West Domains, Resller club, ect. Since they are direct registrars they don't pay any more for the .co than Godaddy or Name.com do.

Case and point at enom, my .co price is $27.95, now I am not on their lowest plan, but the lowest I have seen one of thee reseller registrars was $25.50. Meanwhile at Name.com (who's parent company also owns enom BTW) I just was able to register a .co for $12.99.
    Last edited by Ryan524; 01-11-2014 at 05:32 PM.

First your example isn't quote right as I believe the Icann fee does not apply to the .co TLD.

Regardless I don't think you are understanding what I am referring to.

There are Retail Registrars like Godaddy and Name.com. Then their are Reseller/Wholesale registrars who provided reseller accounts, think enom, Wild West Domains, Resller club, ect. Since they are direct registrars they don't pay any more for the .co than Godaddy or Name.com do.

Case and point at enom, my .co price is $27.95, now I am not on their lowest plan, but the lowest I have seen one of thee reseller registrars was $25.50. Meanwhile at Name.com (who's parent company also owns enom BTW) I just was able to register a .co for $12.99.
    I don't understand what you mean by Retail registers and Reseller registrars, they all registrars, except some sell direct to customers, and others do both. ResellerClub owned by Directi owns BigRock, ResellerClub and more and they do both. But different brands for differnet target markets, but they are the same company.

The Icann fee applies to every domain on the net, which is why they are in control of it, however the fee is about 18c per.

And as for Name.com, it is a Accredited Registrar... They miss out the middle man...

Full list of Accredited registrars: http://www.icann.org/registrar-repor...ited-list.html

Yes you are a reseller, so You pay $27.95 (That's including the Icann fee, price for the .co from the registry and the profit from the registrar).

This is a old blog post from Icann, it will enlighten you a bit: http://www.icann.org/en/news/announc...09jul07-en.htm

Registrars and ICANN have negotiated a reduction in the transaction fees paid for each domain name registration.