Good cheap cPanel alternative

Im looking for a good cheep cPanel alternative, which allows multi account like cpanel so i can have each site on a different account and extra features like cpanel Need to be easy to use like cpanel.

I know there's a few free ones, but I dont know if there any good i have no info and most look like there made in 1990,
    I also know of Webuzo but its only a single user system

the only other paid one I know of is pleks

please advise.
    Last edited by king-x; 01-10-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Give webmin a look I believe it's free.

do you know of any demos ? ive been on the website but it looks like the product is basic and dated,

You can try interworx, if you have a vps you can get a license from 7-10 dollars

Quote Originally Posted by king-x View Post
    do you know of any demos ? ive been on the website but it looks like the product is basic and dated,
    I believe they update it it's just not as shiny as Cpanel

thanks for the to options, Is there any live demos ?
    as for interworks do the offer a trial like cpanel ? I dont want to pay just to try it.

Take a look on kloxo, I know few people using it without issue
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Openvz SolusVm VPS DDOS Protected Canada & Romania
    Dedicated Servers And Satellite Dish Colocation with 1Gbps For IPTV
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Quote Originally Posted by LankapartnerHost View Post
    Take a look on kloxo, I know few people using it without issue
    Ive looked at it but the demo does not work, I've seen a few people posting that its no longer supported or updated.

I have a server with kloxo I use it for only one site and I have issues with it. I would not personally recommend it. I only went for it because I did nto want to pay for a control panel for only one site but I wanted the user interface So I id not have to do it all by ssh command.

here is a link for a two week trial license for interworx

http://www.interworx.com/interworx-demos/

license cart has screenshots of the interworx panel

http://licensecart.com/interworx

That may help you with an idea of how it looks and works

Why not use DirectAdmin? with a nice theme you can get it look like cpanel and is not that expensive.
    DDOS Protected - SSD KVM VDS & Storage KVM VDS.
    http://rackhost.co

Quote Originally Posted by TheRackSx View Post
    Why not use DirectAdmin? with a nice theme you can get it look like cpanel and is not that expensive.
    from the images on there site it looks a bit dated, and cpanel is cheap from the prices ive seen.

Why not give a look at DirectAdmin ? Fonctionality very similar to cPanel and it cost 299$ for a lifetime licence.

Quote Originally Posted by webalternative View Post
    Why not give a look at DirectAdmin ? Fonctionality very similar to cPanel and it cost 299$ for a lifetime licence.
    the cost for VPS Is more then cPanel

Did you look at interworx? And what is the monthly price your looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by sjr2004 View Post
    Did you look at interworx? And what is the monthly price your looking for?
    I have looked at interworx and it looks good, I have tried the demo and it seams ok, I will need to get use to the backup system (no simple way to reupload database like in cpanel)and the filemanage, zip extra take messing about not as easy as cpanel over all its the best ive found so far.

I was wanted to try pleks.

Has anyone got any info on Webmin

Webmin is ok, to me it felt a bit harder to use than kloxo. (Comparison of free control panel) try this link to use a web min demo http://www.webmin.com/demo.html

Or if that doesn't work try

http://www.webmin.com/udemo.html

Here is a YouTube video of webmin panel. If that may help http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=86z7QqTZj_U
    Last edited by ALN2015; 01-11-2014 at 08:27 AM.

I would give kloxo a go but the last time it was updated was 2011/11/13

I found this if anyone else need more info
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...control_panels

Quote Originally Posted by sjr2004 View Post
    Webmin is ok, to me it felt a bit harder to use than kloxo.
    Virtualmin is more suitable than Webmin on its own for this purpose.

There is also kloxo-mr which I believe is a bit better than kloxo itself although I forget the exact differences

Quote Originally Posted by Nickfost View Post
    Give webmin a look I believe it's free.
    The product he would look at is virtualmin, not webmin.

Webmin is geared at single server admin use or server administration.

Virtualmin is designed for giving shared services or hosting to third party users. Its based in webmin, but virtualmin is more like cPanel.

Different use. If he wants something that provides services to users, then virtualmin is what he needs to look at.

Its a great product by the way. Both products are actually excellent. Simple and straigh to the point but at the same time very powerful.

What I like the most of this products as opposed to cPanel or Plesk, is that they donīt install or modify anything in the OS. It leaves Linux and services intact. This means Apache, OS updates, etc, all are completely unmodified.

This is the best if you want the best compatibility with other softwares and avoid problems of control panels installing their own strange stuff that requires their own strange things to do things.

I would advise users to actually get the paid license to support the product. Its cheap and a great product. Granted its not as easy as cPanel in terms of click and point, but then again if you plan to run a hosting business you are supposed to know the basic of computers. I did found it to have more features than any other product in terms of advanced functions which is the plus of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamson View Post
    Virtualmin is more suitable than Webmin on its own for this purpose.
    is there a demo

is there a demo
    Yes,
    http://virtualmin.com/demo

You can look up all the information on their website or just Google it.

Also, the product is amazingly easy to install. It requires ONE, just ONE single command in your server and thats it. So I would advise you to actually install it if you want to test it.

Thanks, also kloxo-mr Is there a demo ?
    also whats the support and updates like ?

Virtualmin. This is the name. I have posted a tutorial here. Look at my posts.

Im not host or know most most of the basic so at the moment the lead is interworx, with cpanel no2.

I know people keep telling me I don't need a paid panel for personal use, I should just learn or use webmin but that takes time and a lot of patience.

I need something simple to use so there's no too many issues, it needs to be easy for personal use to run my new business sites on.

I can learn bits as i go but it wont be instant.

I hope this help

and thanks for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by HostFill View Post
    Virtualmin. This is the name. I have posted a tutorial here. Look at my posts.

The only downside to it is the look for me, it may be able do a lot but it looks dated with a lot of text, with someone like me who has been using cpanel its confusing.

Im not host or know most most of the basic so at the moment the lead is interworx, with cpanel no2.

I know people keep telling me I don't need a paid panel for personal use, I should just learn or use webmin but that takes time and a lot of patience.

I need something simple to use so there's no too many issues, it needs to be easy for personal use to run my new business sites on.

I can learn bits as i go but it wont be instant.

I hope this help

and thanks for all the help
    Then go with cPanel. If you just want something that works, pay for it. The good thing about cPanel is their support which is excellent. So if you donīt have time or energy learning or testing anything, then just take the greens out of the pocket and pay a software from a commercial company that will give you the support you need.

Just a side note, even with cPanel you are supposed to know something about servers. If you donīt, then donīt expect any software to magically run a business for you. Its a tool, but it will not to do the work for you. You will still need to invest some time and energy on your own part regardless of which software you choose.

A control panel is like a shovel, it will help you, but it will not dig the hole for you.

The only downside to it is the look for me, it may be able do a lot but it looks dated with a lot of text, with someone like me who has been using cpanel its confusing.
    Because looks mean nothing in software. You can change the looks and have it designed like you want, this is more or less true for any control panel today.

What is the point of a good looking interface without the features? Virtualmin has the features, the looks, you can build it. Also not sure what you donīt like about it. Its very clean and simple, exactly what an administrator needs, go straight to the point in doing what he needs to do. What is complicated about it? The words? Sure, because you are supposed to know what Apache, or MySQL, or Cron, etc means. Its a tool to manage a server. You need to know the basics and Virtualmin or Webmin will actually let you learn allot about Linux and servers this way.

You are not buying a design here, looks mean nothing in terms of a control panel but the GUI design should. People that buy a control panel by looks usually have 0 clue of what they want or their customers needs. If we go that route, then cPanel is not the best one looking either. There are even better looking control panels. But do you want the control panel for you or your customers?

I assume you want a cluttered interface with tons of flashy bottoms and 100 colors then that lets you sale faster, correct?

If you know how to use cPanel and you keep mentioning over and over again, why donīt you just use that? Just stick to what you know, in particular because it seems you have made your mind already. You said you donīt have time to learn something new, in that case the logic choice for you is to go with something you already understand because any new software will require some time and learning before you know the insides in and out.
    Last edited by nibb; 01-11-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    Then go with cPanel. If you just want something that works, pay for it. The good thing about cPanel is their support which is excellent. So if you donīt have time or energy learning or testing anything, then just take the greens out of the pocket and pay a software from a commercial company that will give you the support you need.

Just a side note, even with cPanel you are supposed to know something about servers. If you donīt, then donīt expect any software to magically run a business for you. Its a tool, but it will not to do the work for you. You will still need to invest some time and energy on your own part regardless of which software you choose.

Because looks mean nothing in software. You can change the looks and have it designed like you want, this is more or less true for any control panel. What is the point of a good looking interface without the features? Virtualmin has the features, the looks, you can build it. Also not sure what you donīt like about it. Its very clean and simple, exactly what an administrator needs, go straight to the point in doing what he needs to do.

You are not buying a website here, looks mean nothing in terms of a control panel but the GUI design should. People that buy a control panel by looks usually have 0 clue of what they want or their customers need. If we go that route, then cPanel is not the best one looking either.

I assume you want a cluttered interface with tons of flashy bottoms and 100 colors then.
    I'm not buying to sell hosting, Its for my own use for my websites.

I'm not buying to sell hosting, Its for my own use for my websites.
    Why do you need a hosting control panel them? If you are not giving third party access to the server to other people, just install something like webmin to manage your websites in your own server.

For your own websites - then VestaCP is hwere I go to these days.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

zpanel and/or virtualmin.
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

If your using it just for yourself try webmin. Or get a vps with cpanel included.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

I prefer to use interworx. It's straight forward to use. Menus in the back end such as:
    Hosting Features (including email configuration and management, domain management, FTP management, MySQL add databases/ users with a couple clicks and PhpMyAdmin access, Htaccess configuration and a link to set up simple scripts)
    Administration (User Account management, Log review, View Recent Visitors, and Mail filtering options)
    Statistics (gives you bandwidth history and much more information)
    File Manager (well pretty self-explanatory)
    Preferences (set up subscriptions and preferences)

I also recommend ISPmanager.
    This software has alternatives to whmcs, dns only, Virtualization Platforms and more.

see characteristics.

BILLmanager - Hosting billing system
    ISPmanager - Hosting control panel
    DCImanager - Solution for infrastructure management
    DNSmanager - DNS management system
    IPmanager - IP management system
    VMmanager - Solution for virtualization management
    VEmanager - Virtual environments (containers) control panel

ISPmanager 5 - Operating systems support.

FreeBSD
    Centos
    Debian
    Windows

Notice. Through a reseller, can be found ISPmanager lite for 5 dollars.
    Last edited by Postbox; 01-24-2014 at 11:54 PM.

I honestly believe that no good cheap cPanel alternative exists. Talented developers write good software, and they expect to be compensated accordingly. By paying for cPanel, you're helping talented developers.

None of the other software has the incredible backend panel (WHM) that cPanel does. cPanel also does a great job with security, and with the amount of hacking attempts that they receive it is amazing the the control panel remains secure due to its widespread nature. Furthermore, I don't think you could expect any cheap or free team to be able to provide such quick bug updates.

So I say: suck it up and buy a cPanel license, because nothing else even comes close to it. You'll be glad you did.

I'm with @RRWH on VestaCP. I've been testing it off and on for about three months now, and last week I migrated a WordPress instance to it. As long as you're capable of handling manual DB creation and management, as well as general admin/security practices, you should be fine. It's pretty lightweight. It's still fairly new, though I was impressed with some of the little niceties they throw into a Vanilla install. Their default LAMP stack configuration was impressive (but a little obtrusive too). The way it interfaces with BIND leaves something to be desired. Great little interface if you don't mind getting your hands dirty sometimes.
    RRWH - did we both find the same bug where the NS records don't get built properly outside of ns1 and ns2 prefixes, and BIND crashes on the first reload? Easy fix with the zonefile creation script, but I've been too busy to get the bug to them. Might get to that this weekend...

Frankly it's still on my warning list when I'm asked about it though. Just don't know yet for sure. I don't believe it has been examined, and probably won't unless it becomes really popular.

Also surprisingly I've seen more interest in Webuzo. At present I'm doing some work with Interworx, and, looking past all the shiny, it seems pretty solid. No glaring issues generally speaking. Did find a fatality with cPanel migrations larger than about 10GB. This makes sense since even cPanel argues with it's own large backups as it is. Nothing a little rsync won't fix, and if it turns out to be Interworx, that pretty much seals its fate for me at least. That's a lot of freaking data to move in manually.

Edit: I mentioned something in December about reading that installing VestaCP shuts off iptables from functioning. I think it says it during the install. I don't know if they meant permanently or not, but in my situation I had no trouble firewalling the VPS instance I'm running it on.
    Last edited by Technolojesus; 01-24-2014 at 11:23 PM.
    | John Edel • Jetfire Networks L.L.C. • Trusted Hosting Solutions
    | Consistent, Reliable, Stable OpenVZ & KVM Virtual Private Servers
    | SpamWall AV & Full SMTP Filtering •
    Now an SSLStore Titanium Partner!

For production use, you need something secure and stable. You have only 2 options:

Virtualmin:
    Automated install script will do the job for you and you have CSF Firewall plugin -> It's GREAT.

ISPconfig:
    Good panel, but you need to install all the programs one by one with your hands and it's not compatible with CSF Firewall.
    You will need to learn how to use a new firewall and fail2ban.

Don't waste your time by trying other panels. Trust me!
    Last edited by HostFill; 01-25-2014 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AcclaimedHost Alan View Post
    I honestly believe that no good cheap cPanel alternative exists. Talented developers write good software, and they expect to be compensated accordingly. By paying for cPanel, you're helping talented developers.

None of the other software has the incredible backend panel (WHM) that cPanel does. cPanel also does a great job with security, and with the amount of hacking attempts that they receive it is amazing the the control panel remains secure due to its widespread nature. Furthermore, I don't think you could expect any cheap or free team to be able to provide such quick bug updates.

So I say: suck it up and buy a cPanel license, because nothing else even comes close to it. You'll be glad you did.
    Wrong info.

Webmin + Virtualmin + Usermin can do much more than cPanel.
    Maybe 100 times more!