KVM Panel for personal use?

I want to slice up a single server to 2-3-4-5 VPSes
    for personal use, testing and raping them.

I can live with console tools but I would like to test a few panels for getting graphs, bandwidth, utilization easier and of course experience .

So I saw this:
    http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Management_Tools

Anyone having any experiences with any panel from those which are:
    GPL/Apache licence, Having web UI, still Active and preferably working on EL systems like Redhat/Centos/CL ?

To be more specific, anyone knows / has experience with:
    Eucalyptus, Convirt, oVirt, op5, cloudstack / openstack, Foreman ?

I was considering using just cloudmin but I just need a second thought

Just to clarify again, this is just for learning, digging them and for personal use not commercial.

I wish I could try them all to have a better opinion but I got only 2 hands

http://www.webmin.com/cinstall-kvm.html

This will fit your needs.
    Fast Affordable Professional Virtual Private Servers
    No situation is too much of a handful for us. Let us give you a helping hand with this: FAPVPS Special Offers

for kvm , why not use Proxmox ? is free KVM Virtualization including web administration.
    DDOS Protected - SSD KVM VDS & Storage KVM VDS.
    http://rackhost.co

Quote Originally Posted by TheRackSx View Post
    for kvm , why not use Proxmox ? is free KVM Virtualization including web administration.
    +1 Proxmox and be done.

I've recently tested Openstack and was not impressed. It felt immature, with a lot of refactoring which resulted in outdated documentation and default configuration that points to paths that no longer exist. I think it has great potential though, especially if you have several hosts in several different data centers. It is overly complex for a single machine though.

Eucalyptus has moved more and more of the features to non-open source, and I had a lot of problems when I evaluated it but that evaluation was about two years ago so they could be better now.

I've used (or rather tried to use) the commercial version of Convirture. It was the standard vm management tool at work for about a year. It could easily take 20 minutes to create a new virtual machine because the UI stopped working and you had to logout and login again. Our QA guys (who handle most of our vm creation) really hated it.

op5 is a great monitoring system, but it does not support vm management so it is not the right tool for this job.

I have just used Proxmox briefly, but it looked good and I have heard it recommended a lot of times. It would be my first choice if I was to evaluate a web UI.

Most people seem to use virt-manager, and that's what I am using for kvm environments. It requires X though, which can be really slow (my primary datacenter is 50ms away). A good web-based UI would be great.

[disclaimer: I work for op5]

I am currently considering feathur (SIC) A fairly new web interface to libvirt.

Proxmox is OK, but there are a lot of things that it makes quite difficult to do so it is certainly not the be-all and end-all. Proxmox is great if you can live within their default way of doing a lot of things.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by RRWH View Post
    I am currently considering feathur (SIC) A fairly new web interface to libvirt.

Proxmox is OK, but there are a lot of things that it makes quite difficult to do so it is certainly not the be-all and end-all. Proxmox is great if you can live within their default way of doing a lot of things.
    If you do not mind I would like more details on what you find Proxmox makes more difficult or otherwise where you find their default system a bother.

We use it heavily for dedicated server clients and for private cloud deployments and receive a lot of good feedback from our clients.

I am curious what we are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by leckley View Post
    If you do not mind I would like more details on what you find Proxmox makes more difficult or otherwise where you find their default system a bother.

We use it heavily for dedicated server clients and for private cloud deployments and receive a lot of good feedback from our clients.

I am curious what we are missing.
    With Proxmox, it is their way or the hard way!

Ok, with something that is supposedly a mature platform, the simple task of installation is very limited. Heck, it is Version 3 and still no native support for SW raid, and last time I looked, it doesn't give you much flexibility.

Yes, of course you can go and do it afterwards.... but hey, "Enterprise ready" - hardly. There are also quite a few other minor annoyances - and yes, you can get around them eventually, but you shouldn't need to.

The web interface, not too bad.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes

With Proxmox, it is their way or the hard way!

Ok, with something that is supposedly a mature platform, the simple task of installation is very limited. Heck, it is Version 3 and still no native support for SW raid, and last time I looked, it doesn't give you much flexibility.

Yes, of course you can go and do it afterwards.... but hey, "Enterprise ready" - hardly. There are also quite a few other minor annoyances - and yes, you can get around them eventually, but you shouldn't need to.

The web interface, not too bad.
    Honestly, if that is your largest gripe I would say they are doing damn well for a product that is free or costs next to nothing if you opt for a support package.

VMWare, XenServer, Hyper-V, etc. are all enterprise platforms and none of which support software RAID as 99% of all true enterprise deployments will use real raid cards.

As to the other annoyances I would still like to know what those are if you could provide some real feedback...

@chrismfz apologies for going off-track a bit and de-railing your question

Hey, if it works for you good luck, but No, Proxmox doesn't work for me - as I have to fight it all the way to get it where I want to be. Yes, It has been a couple of years since I have given Proxmox a serious look, things might have changed, but based on your comment, I guess not enough for me to look again.

Lets do a direct comparison to say a Box running OpenVZ and say OVZ web panel - which is similar to the Proxmox from a web interface POV (Albeit OVS only) and compare.

Proxmox - install their Distro - which as I have noted, makes it quite hard (not impossible, just a lot more effort) to get everything the way you want it. (well, the way I want it). Lets face it Proxmox is built on Debain, but it is Proxmox and not Debian - they have their way of doing things.

If you even take a minute or so and look at their own doco, it literally says install, log into gui to manage VM's. Now, If someone thinks that is ALL that is required to manage a node! They try to "dumb down" the whole Administration - which is both good and bad - Admin and Operate should be very different things, and if someone simply installs a Node they literally have no idea how it works or how to get it working should the GUI do something "weird".

OVZ - pick the distro of your choice, build it how you like, then within a few minutes convert it to OVZ, Install the Web Panel, done. No going back trying to do the simple things the hard way post-install.

Installing "on top" of a distro allows me the flexibility to set up the node how I want to rather than conforming to the way someone else has decided how I MUST have the Disk partitioned, yes, it uses LVM so I can change it afterwards with some additional effort.

I guess what it comes down to, is that I do not like the OS/distro getting in the way of how I like to do things, and that means Proxmox is not a good fit for me. Yes, it is popular, It might work for you, but you asked my opinion!

Yes, I do now that The OP was asking about KVM specifically, but as with anything, there is more than 1 way to do it, and really all I am saying is while a lot of people find Proxmox OK, it is certainly not the only way or maybe not even the best way.

@chrismfz
    Installing "on top" of a distro allows me the flexibility to set up the node how I want to rather than conforming to the way someone else has decided how I MUST have the Disk partitioned, yes, it uses LVM so I can change it afterwards with some additional effort.
    Indeed I mention that on the start.

I was searching something on top of a distro, and having in mind using an EL distro like centos/cl/sl/rh.

I believe it's easier to control (when having in mind the OS as an OS first and secondly the panel/system on top of it).

I don't mind using the console as I said, I just "need" something with better sauce on top of it.

Now playing with Cloudmin, I'll start with something else after that. Building experience (and raping the home server)

@chrismfz apologies for going off-track a bit and de-railing your question

Hey, if it works for you good luck, but No, Proxmox doesn't work for me - as I have to fight it all the way to get it where I want to be. Yes, It has been a couple of years since I have given Proxmox a serious look, things might have changed, but based on your comment, I guess not enough for me to look again.

Lets do a direct comparison to say a Box running OpenVZ and say OVZ web panel - which is similar to the Proxmox from a web interface POV (Albeit OVS only) and compare.

Proxmox - install their Distro - which as I have noted, makes it quite hard (not impossible, just a lot more effort) to get everything the way you want it. (well, the way I want it). Lets face it Proxmox is built on Debain, but it is Proxmox and not Debian - they have their way of doing things.

If you even take a minute or so and look at their own doco, it literally says install, log into gui to manage VM's. Now, If someone thinks that is ALL that is required to manage a node! They try to "dumb down" the whole Administration - which is both good and bad - Admin and Operate should be very different things, and if someone simply installs a Node they literally have no idea how it works or how to get it working should the GUI do something "weird".

OVZ - pick the distro of your choice, build it how you like, then within a few minutes convert it to OVZ, Install the Web Panel, done. No going back trying to do the simple things the hard way post-install.

I guess what it comes down to, is that I do not like the OS/distro getting in the way of how I like to do things, and that means Proxmox is not a good fit for me. Yes, it is popular, It might work for you, but you asked my opinion!

Yes, I do now that The OP was asking about KVM specifically, but as with anything, there is more than 1 way to do it, and really all I am saying is while a lot of people find Proxmox OK, it is certainly not the only way or maybe not even the best way.
    You can easily install Proxmox directly on top of Debian

i think is real good Proxmox
    CloudFastservers.com|Cloud VPS Openstack KVM |Cloud VPS Windows
    █ Cloud VPS and Hosting |24/7/365 Support
    █ Data center and servers location: USA Florida, Europe Netherland
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.