Change Host or get VPS ?

Hi All,

I need some help, I have a few site I have running on a shared resellers hosting package, My sites seam slow a lot of people have told me this load time is 6s some time can take ages and make a huge jump.

I have 2 magento sites 1 with 200 products other just 20, a wordpress site a lot of plugins and a joomla site basic with some domains for just emails.

it cant be the sites as its the same load time with all and I've spent a good sum of money paying people to speed them up thinking its the sites.

Ive been told the shared server is no were near the load limit.

Server spec
    i7 3.5Ghz
    16GB RAM
    SATA3 Drives
    1Gbps Connectivity

I get a good deal and the team is good.

Do I need to Change Host or get VPS or if you have any other advice.

Please help me

Are these slow downs consistent (coming at around the same time on a regular basis)? It could be that is when jobs are running (for example: backups).

They aren't hosting you on a server-class machine. That is a desktop system. While that doesn't mean the system can't host web sites, it won't hold the same load as a server-class machine.

One thing that will slow the server down, based on the load, is the SATA3 drives. SAS or SSD are preferred for a server.

It could just be that server with the provider, or the provider itself. You could see about moving to another one of their servers but if all of their servers are similar you may not find a performance improvement.

You may want to look for a difference shared hosting provider or if you are ready to take the plunge then a Cloud VPS Server (recommended as it will provide redundancy that a typical VPS does not).
    Tim Benoit

It is all about control

In a shared web hosting environment you don't have a lot of control over the environment. With a VPS you get a bit more and have the ability to look at OS level performance. The next step is dedicated hosting which for the money maybe a better solution

For VPS go with www vipnode net
    For Dedicated use www hivelocity net

Quote Originally Posted by tbenoit View Post
    Are these slow downs consistent (coming at around the same time on a regular basis)? It could be that is when jobs are running (for example: backups).

They aren't hosting you on a server-class machine. That is a desktop system. While that doesn't mean the system can't host web sites, it won't hold the same load as a server-class machine.

One thing that will slow the server down, based on the load, is the SATA3 drives. SAS or SSD are preferred for a server.

It could just be that server with the provider, or the provider itself. You could see about moving to another one of their servers but if all of their servers are similar you may not find a performance improvement.

You may want to look for a difference shared hosting provider or if you are ready to take the plunge then a Cloud VPS Server (recommended as it will provide redundancy that a typical VPS does not).
    That is a desktop system.
    >> I thought that was the case

I think its the same with all there hosting. they have moved me once already.

it can be any time, day or night,but it does geta lot slower on backups, best load time ive got so far has been 4.6s

I would move to another host but i dont want to keep moving about,

Quote Originally Posted by alsobrsp View Post
    In a shared web hosting environment you don't have a lot of control over the environment. With a VPS you get a bit more and have the ability to look at OS level performance. The next step is dedicated hosting which for the money maybe a better solution
    I dont think i need dedicated hosting

Quote Originally Posted by king-x View Post
    That is a desktop system.
    >> I thought that was the case

I think its the same with all there hosting. they have moved me once already.

it can be any time, day or night,but it does geta lot slower on backups, best load time ive got so far has been 4.6s

I would move to another host but i dont want to keep moving about,
    If they have moved you to a different server and performance has not improved then I can think of a couple of possible situations:

1) Their servers are not able to keep up with the resource demands of your sites.

2) Your applications may really need to be tuned (I know you said you have already paid for that but it is a possibility). One thing that comes to mind is maybe the database queries are not using indexes everywhere needed, which will increase database response times and server load as when a query is some looking for a specific record on a non-indexed field the database does a full table scan.
    Tim Benoit

My sites seam slow a lot of people have told me this
    'seems slow' doesn't really define a problem ...

Without investigating the performance issues it's impossible to guess whether it's overloading at the host, poor code, or some other issue - therefore any advice about changing host, changing hosting type or anything else is not going to help you.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by tbenoit View Post
    If they have moved you to a different server and performance has not improved then I can think of a couple of possible situations:

1) Their servers are not able to keep up with the resource demands of your sites.

2) Your applications may really need to be tuned (I know you said you have already paid for that but it is a possibility). One thing that comes to mind is maybe the database queries are not using indexes everywhere needed, which will increase database response times and server load as when a query is some looking for a specific record on a non-indexed field the database does a full table scan.

I am running a magento site which is heave site anyway,
    I am 90% the host because, there own site runs slow, when they moved me there was slight improvements, but not a great deal,

as you have said before They aren't hosting you on a server-class machine. but are selling re-sellers packages on it

indexes everywhere needed
    >> how do i check if this is done,

Quote Originally Posted by astutiumRob View Post
    'seems slow' doesn't really define a problem ...

Without investigating the performance issues it's impossible to guess whether it's overloading at the host, poor code, or some other issue - therefore any advice about changing host, changing hosting type or anything else is not going to help you.
    How can we check ?

the host has been good but its a finger pointing game at the moment, the developers ive hired are pointing at the host and the host is pointing at the sites, ( all sites have been devloped by different people )

at the moment im getting between 5 & 6 sec load time on all my sites and theres.
    if it was just the sites and not hosting they should not all be the same

I am running a magento site which is heave site anyway,
    I am 90% the host because, there own site runs slow, when they moved me there was slight improvements, but not a great deal,

as you have said before They aren't hosting you on a server-class machine. but are selling re-sellers packages on it

indexes everywhere needed
    >> how do i check if this is done,
    That is something that needs to be checked within your site code (specifically the database queries) and your databases (verifying indexes are setup on all of the appropriate columns). Your developers can verify this for you, though it may take some time to complete depending on the code.
    Tim Benoit

Quote Originally Posted by alsobrsp View Post
    For VPS go with www vipnode net
    For Dedicated use www hivelocity net
    Please be sure to report to the mods a domain names you have with each of these providers.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

I don't think it would hurt to start looking at VPS providers. With cPanel/WHM or even Directadmin installed it will make managing a VPS so much easier.

Check the VPS offering areas out and do your homework before you pick a provider .
    Budget Hosting www.hostkoi.com
    Budget Servers www.dediserverhost.com
    HKWS Group: HostKoi - DediServerHost

How can we check ?

the host has been good but its a finger pointing game at the moment, the developers ive hired are pointing at the host and the host is pointing at the sites, ( all sites have been devloped by different people )

at the moment im getting between 5 & 6 sec load time on all my sites and theres.
    This looks like there is some configuration tuning required on the stack. Probably someone who has no idea on how to tune the MySQL and Apache (or whatever web server is running) configs.

As the host what tuning they have done to the MySQL configs.

It is trivially easy to go to phpmyadmin, click on variables, put "connection" in the filter box, make a note of the value. Then take a look at the "key buffer size". If this has never been tuned, then connections will most likely be 500 and Key Buffer size will be ridiculously small.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Depends on your ISP/connectivity, their connectivity, and a whole host of other factors - a traceroute might help ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

What about using pingdoom tools and google speed test and tell us the results, i think your sites need to be tunnig.
    Want cheap Facebook Likes or RDP(Remote Desktop 1Gbps)? PM
    or search for my threads in the Advertising Forums
    Demo available for both services

some of the things you guys are asking are going over my head, too much tech speak, instructions may help.

Some useful tutorials for VPSes...
    Set up an unmanaged Linux VPS to host websites
    (avoid having to pay for cPanel)
    Install a GUI on a Linux VPS with RDP (cheap alternative to paying for a Windows license if you need a basic remote workstation)

I Think the focus has shited a bit.

I think the sites ok im getting 89% on gtmatrix, but its still comes down to move to a new host question is should i get resellers package or VPS,

As most of you think a resellers package will be able to handle magento.

Ive looked at https://www.digitalocean.com for VPS
    and kualo.co.uk for resellers