Whats the point of a swip?

Hi, I just did a swip with my ISP. Just 2 or 3 days ago. I was told that a swip changes ownership of an isp but you need a minimum of a block of /29 to be able to do a swip. I was told the purpose of this is to put your company name as the owner of that ip block. This shows up as a IP whois lookup. It makes you look more professional.

So, after I did a swip. I notice my business info plus my personal information was released by my ISP. So, now the public will know my business location plus where I live. However, still going thru all that. They label me as a customer rather then a hosting provider.

Also, the servers I own shows to the public belonging to my ISP when in reality they don't own my servers. I am running and maintaining my own servers. Is it too early for me to tell if this will be public?

How can I set the reverse ip info to show as if I am a hosting provider?

SWIP just adds additional contact information to the IP address. It will always show who owns the IPs (ISP) but also shows the customer information as well.

Some people get them done to look more professional, some people do it so abuse reports get directed to them and not the ISP, and some people do it because of business requirements.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Quote Originally Posted by ZKuJoe View Post
    SWIP just adds additional contact information to the IP address. It will always show who owns the IPs (ISP) but also shows the customer information as well.

Some people get them done to look more professional, some people do it so abuse reports get directed to them and not the ISP, and some people do it because of business requirements.
    So, then how do you get to the ISP level?

What is needed to get my Business name to be considered the ISP?

Would I directly have to buy a block of IP addresses?

To my knowledge, you would need to get your IPs directly from your RIR (ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, LACNIC, or AfriNIC) as an ISP and not an end user.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Quote Originally Posted by hockey97 View Post
    So, then how do you get to the ISP level?
    You'd need to deal directly with your RIR and have your own block.

But you're several years too late - IPv4 has 'run out' !
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by astutiumRob View Post

How much would that cost for just the minimum amount?

To the best of my knowledge you would need to purchase a block that somebody currently owns, and not directly from ARIN/RIPE/etc. In the event you can't find somebody selling anything smaller than a /24, and it's rare to do so, be prepared to pay up to 5 digits for the block.

Quote Originally Posted by astutiumRob View Post

Not all RIRs are out of IPv4. ARIN in North America still has allocations available but that doesn't really matter in this case I assume because I don't think the OP will meet requirements.

For ARIN (North American) requirements, you have to have a minimum of /23 in use (512 IP Addresses) and show you are about to multihome (route through more than one provider in one location). So not everyone is eligible to get an ISP allocation. The fees are listed on ARIN, if I remember correctly about $500 for the ASN and $500 for the minimum IP block, then recurring yearly fees.