Changing Plesk hostname stops email working

I administer a VPS that runs Plesk 11 and is on a CentOS box.

When my hosting provider installed Plesk, I did the initial config, and left the hostname as "localhost.localdomain" because my provider said it didn't matter.

Now, that is causing my server's IP to be listed at Spamhaus, because Spamhaus doesn't like mail servers that identify themselves as "localhost.localdomain".

I want to change the hostname to a spare domain I have set up on the server, but every time I change it (on Plesk's Server Settings page), SMTP stops working and I have to change it back.

I am not a Linux or Telnet expert though I know my way round DNS. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Someone may need to correct me, but I think you have to leave the localhost entries. There are services on the server that dont need to go on the net to get information, they just point right back to the server. I think you have to setup a way to resolve those addresses by editing /etc/resolv.conf. You would want to add an entry for each FQDN (fully qualified domain name, ex mail.example.com) that will resolve to your server. Plesk may have a GUI that can be used to make the changes from the browser, this would be preferable). If you have to edit the file, you would want to SSH into the server, sudo yum install nano (if you havent already), nano /etc/resolv.conf (no e). Then follow the format you see there. You can google editing centos resolv.conf for guides if you need any pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by helix247 View Post
    Someone may need to correct me, but I think you have to leave the localhost entries. There are services on the server that dont need to go on the net to get information, they just point right back to the server. I think you have to setup a way to resolve those addresses by editing /etc/resolv.conf. You would want to add an entry for each FQDN (fully qualified domain name, ex mail.example.com) that will resolve to your server. Plesk may have a GUI that can be used to make the changes from the browser, this would be preferable). If you have to edit the file, you would want to SSH into the server, sudo yum install nano (if you havent already), nano /etc/resolv.conf (no e). Then follow the format you see there. You can google editing centos resolv.conf for guides if you need any pointers.
    I believe you're thinking of /etc/hosts, not /etc/resolv.conf. resolv.conf tell the server where the nameservers are, while the hosts file contains local DNS entries that override the nameserver entries.

Smells more like an issue with the MTA (postfix?) than with the hostname, though the two may be related. See if there's a way to change the mail server settings in Plesk for the SMTP banner, not just the hostname maybe. I haven't used Plesk in years so I don't know what's available on the current version.

Thanks for the replies, both of which helped me learn more about this issue. In the end, I changed the value for 'myhostname' at the end of the /etc/postfix/main.cf from 'localhost.localdomain' to 'mail.DOMAIN.net', and this appears to have solved the mail problem.

I suggest that you contact Steven from Rack911.com and get a quote from him to get the issue fixed for you.