Do I announce that I'm a reseller?

I host several websites already for people I've designed websites for, so I thought I would begin to offer this service to others as well, even if I have not designed their websites.

I have a reseller account with my host. As I set up the website for my hosting service, to what extent do I need to mention that I am a reseller for my host? Front and center? In the footer? Tucked away in the terms of service? Not at all? What do people do?

Not At All
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Openvz SolusVm VPS DDOS Protected Canada & Romania
    Dedicated Servers And Satellite Dish Colocation with 1Gbps For IPTV
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

You're by no means obligated to. However, the subject could come up some day. If it does, just be honest about the various companies you work with to ultimately deliver their website to them. Otherwise, you can generally remain as confidential as you feel you need to. Good luck
    | John Edel Jetfire Networks L.L.C. Trusted Hosting Solutions
    | Consistent, Reliable, Stable OpenVZ & KVM Virtual Private Servers
    | SpamWall AV & Full SMTP Filtering
    Now an SSLStore Titanium Partner!

You don't need to let anyone know that you are a reseller, there are loads of resellers on this forum that you wouldn't even know realise. The question will come up and if it does then just be honest don't claim to own hundreds of servers.

That is completely legitimate business. You have no obligation to announce that to your clients. However, if they do ask you, you should answer honestly. You can always start your own hosting company and spread your business
    BeltHosting.com Staff. Shared Web Hosting | Reseller Web Hosting | IRCD Hosting | psyBNC/sBNC/eggdrop/znc Hosting
    xShellz Linux Shell & IRCD Hosting.
    24/7 Live & Ticket Support

Quote Originally Posted by jetfirenetworks View Post
    You're by no means obligated to. However, the subject could come up some day. If it does, just be honest about the various companies you work with to ultimately deliver their website to them. Otherwise, you can generally remain as confidential as you feel you need to. Good luck
    Correct.

There are some on WHT who go Full Rabid (tm) at the mention of resellers, but as long as you're providing good service to your paying customers, you're set.

We've made no secret of the fact that we started out with an InnoHosting reseller account, and eventually moved onto our own hardware. That really helped us learn the ropes of the business while someone else did the heavy technical lifting. Now that we have our own colo gear we still occasionally resell dedicated servers from two other providers. The margins are smaller, but it saves a ton on capex (to say nothing of spare parts) that we can otherwise put back into growing our business.

But above all else, don't lie. If someone asks if you're a reseller, you should, IMHO, tell them. You have nothing to hide.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

I personally wouldn't mention it.
    Nividium
    Affordable, Reliable & High Performance Web Hosting Since 2011
    Google PageSpeed | Softaculous | SSD Drives | 24/7/365 Technical Support | Instant Activation

No need to mention it but just be true with what you put in the website and if ask, tell the truth.

Nothing to be ashamed of as a reseller.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

I agree. If asked, always be honest. But your Web site should really tell a narrative that connects with your customers more than anything else - and focus on that.

If you are a consultant/Web designer who deals with a small but close knit group of clients, they are buying "you" more than they are buying servers or technology. They want to know that you understand their needs and they can trust you to help them achieve their goals. They care a lot more about that than some vendors you may utilize to accomplish what you do for them.

I don't think that diluting your brand by mentioning who you are a reseller for will really achieve anything. If they ask whether you are a reseller, explain that yes you are - and actually that's a good thing for them - because it doesn't make sense for you to spend the time managing infrastructure when instead you can deliver the same end result to them at a lower cost with an army of IT folks behind the scenes 24x7 with your Web host making sure that everything is running properly. You'd rather spend your time helping them out with their Web design and coming with ideas to market and improve their online presence... that's time much better spent on your part - and more valuable to them as well.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

You don't have to necessary have to go and put on your website that you are a reseller of another company. Yes it would be nice to let your clients and viewers know that your on a reliable reseller but having this on your site may just scare people away.

Some will come to you can may ask you what type of equipment you have or they may just cone out and ask if your a reseller or not. When this happens don't lie to them be real and if your services you provide are actually truly good then you shouldn't have to worry about telling them the truth. You just need to explain to them they are in good hands and the companies you work with are reliable and top notch providers. Explain to them you have a good business plan structure .

There's no need to mention on your website that you're a re seller. But like the others said if someone asks you if you're a re seller then I would be honest with them.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

As stated above, No need to mention. Just be honest when they ask that

Best advice I could offer you is that while you are reselling, make sure your shared plans are priced below what your provider is offering (somewhat provides an incentive of sticking with your hosting instead of going with your upstream).
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Best advice I could offer you is that while you are reselling, make sure your shared plans are priced below what your provider is offering (somewhat provides an incentive of sticking with your hosting instead of going with your upstream).
    This is true. Another thing that will keep your clients from going upstream would be providing an unprecedented level of support, checking up on their websites proactively, and providing the type of "above and beyond" services that most larger web hosts are simply unable to do--that's because they're usually too busy to take on smaller tasks like this. But it's the small stuff like this that will win over your client for good.

I also agree with what everyone is saying. You don't really have to come out and say it at all, however if someone does ask you, you should explain to them and give them all the information. This type of question might come up or you may never be asked about this, but just be ready to answer all the questions that customer might have for you.
    They call me the bread baker

Hi!
    Like what other people have said, you CERTAINLY don't have to. In my opinion I would not. it makes you look smaller and some may think your service will be affected. Generally reseller packages limit what you can do, so potential customers may feel you don't have control over their hosting packages.

If any of your client ask then you need to tell the truth . Web design companies focus on design not on SysAdmin stuff or managing the servers.