VPS hosting in the states ?

Hello Everybody,

I am currently looking into getting a fully managed VPS located in the united states, reason being i will be using amazon s3 oregon region as bucket for storage so i wanna have them both close together as possible.

My desired specs for VPS are 4 cores, 4GBRam and 1.25TB bandwidth. As i am going to use amazon S3 for storage it makes sense that i get the bare minimum storage with my hosting plan to save myself some money.

Of course the most important thing is a VPS host that is reliable.

So far Site5 is at the top of my list, does anybody know if they are a good and reliable company ?

Would anybody be able to make any recommendations ? i've had a look at a few already which i will not name, but they were quite pricey and plans were not very flexible in terms of offering an abundance of storage that i don't need. I did see another VPS hosted in the states which offered custom plans, however i read a lot of bad reviews on them so i it kind of got me to stay away.

Would appreciate anybody who can help me pick my perfect host, thanks =]

Few questions for you first that I think will clear things up for others:

1. Anywhere in the states, or do you have a region in mind?

2. Most VPS's come with automatic backup included in their plans, so are you looking for additional on vps storage or offsite storage (off the VPS)?

3. If reliability is a big factor I would recommend you steering towards VPS's using XEN or KVM. Not that OpenVZ is not reliable, its just tends to be less reliable of the three due to it being harder for the provider to control what clients do on their VPS and effects of it towards others on their nodes.

4. What is your budget for all of this?

5. Are you going to want a control panel like cPanel as well?
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Hi, i have gone over your questions and answered the best that i could given my limited knowledge in this field, if i am a little amateurish i apologise, but i'd rather be humble than pretend i know everything.

Also, i appreciate your reply =]

Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
    Few questions for you first that I think will clear things up for others:

1. Anywhere in the states, or do you have a region in mind? Well this sprouts another question, i am looking to have amazon S3 bucket at their Oregon region just because its a little cheaper than in California, so if it would make a massive difference to have a fully managed VPS host close by, then i would say the preferred region would be Oregon or any of the surrounding states, but if it won't make a massive difference to have a host, lets say over the other side of the country for example, then i guess the primary concern at that point would be to have a good host and region wont be a massive concern.

2. Most VPS's come with automatic backup included in their plans, so are you looking for additional on vps storage or offsite storage (off the VPS)? i will have a lot of users posting images on the website so i will need storage. I have noticed storage on S3 is a lot cheaper than storage with the hosting plans i have looked at i will have backups on S3 too. Is this a stupid thing to do ?

3. If reliability is a big factor I would recommend you steering towards VPS's using XEN or KVM. Not that OpenVZ is not reliable, its just tends to be less reliable of the three due to it being harder for the provider to control what clients do on their VPS and effects of it towards others on their nodes. hmm, i am still very amateurish so i am not sure what XEN, KVM or OpenVZ is. *correction* i've just done a little reading and believe i will go for XEN VPS.

4. What is your budget for all of this? i'd like to spend $150 or less a month for the Fully managed VPS alone not including S3

5. Are you going to want a control panel like cPanel as well? Yes definitely
    Last edited by lemmiwink5; 01-08-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemmiwink5 View Post
    Hi, i have gone over your questions and answered the best that i could given my limited knowledge in this field, if i am a little amateurish i apologise, but i'd rather be humble than pretend i know everything.

Also, i appreciate your reply =]
    Nvm, I am seeing the answers within my questions. I am sure others will jump in and spark their recommendations and ideas but here are mine:

1. Thats a fair answer, even if you atleast got your VPS somewhere on the west coast I think your latency and speeds between the two servers would still be very good and wont notice any issues with slow backup speeds or restores as you would if the VPS was in a different country or maybe east coast.

2. So you're going to keep your images hosted separately? How much space do you plan on consuming?

3. Thats a good choice, XEN is very reliable if the provider managers their servers well.

4. Well your budget alone is enough for a decent dedicated server so for a VPS I think you wont have any issues finding a provider within your budget.

What I would suggest from here is go to the offers section of this forum and scout around. See who the big names people are talking about for good service, make up a list of 3-5 prospects and then shoot them all an identical pre-sales email and get to know each one and see which ones you like working with best. Then Google their name a bit and see what you can get for reviews. At that point you should have a pretty good idea of who will work best for you.
    Last edited by SolaDrive - John; 01-08-2014 at 06:58 PM.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
    Am I blind? I am not seeing the answers?
    Yeah my bad i didn't explain. I added them into the quote =\, i shouldn't have done that. But it looks like this

" 1. your question: and i answer right after"

Would you like me to remove them from your quote and put it into a new reply ?

Talking

1. Anywhere in the states, or do you have a region in mind? Well this sprouts another question, i am looking to have amazon S3 bucket at their Oregon region just because its a little cheaper than in California, so if it would make a massive difference to have a fully managed VPS host close by, then i would say the preferred region would be Oregon or any of the surrounding states, but if it won't make a massive difference to have a host, lets say over the other side of the country for example, then i guess the primary concern at that point would be to have a good host and region wont be a massive concern.

2. Most VPS's come with automatic backup included in their plans, so are you looking for additional on vps storage or offsite storage (off the VPS)? i will have a lot of users posting images on the website so i will need storage. I have noticed storage on S3 is a lot cheaper than storage with the hosting plans i have looked at i will have backups on S3 too. Is this a stupid thing to do ?

3. If reliability is a big factor I would recommend you steering towards VPS's using XEN or KVM. Not that OpenVZ is not reliable, its just tends to be less reliable of the three due to it being harder for the provider to control what clients do on their VPS and effects of it towards others on their nodes. hmm, i am still very amateurish so i am not sure what XEN, KVM or OpenVZ is. *correction* i've just done a little reading and believe i will go for XEN VPS.

4. What is your budget for all of this? i'd like to spend $150 or less a month for the Fully managed VPS alone not including S3

5. Are you going to want a control panel like cPanel as well? Yes definitely

There you go, i hope this is better