Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Hat, Inc Aquires CentOS

Red Hat, Inc has announced that it has acquired CentOS.

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/ce...ry/020100.html

http://www.redhat.com/about/news/pre...os-join-forces

CentOS also has updated their website, http://www.centos.org/

Should be interesting to see what everyone's reaction to this news is since CentOS is heavily used in the web hosting industry.
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

will be interesting to see how this plays out and if it affects Centos in the medium to long term.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

It does seem like a strange move for RH as I can't see how they are going to generate any noticeable revenue from this.
    █ Manuel Tuthill
    www.regdotter.com Cheap domain names

█ www.AvenueHost.com Quality Shared, Reseller and VPS hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelT View Post
    It does seem like a strange move for RH as I can't see how they are going to generate any noticeable revenue from this.
    Support or/and Management ?

Cutting off features telling "hey want that ? Upgrade!"

I personally hope not... RHEL 7 is already a big or better, HUGE change, I hope they don't make it worse

I have a few worries about this. I hope they don't do what they do with Fedora and push the updates as fast as they can (instead of leaving them and making sure they're stable first). I'd also like to see how this is going to affect CloudLinux.
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software

Yeah Centos is based off RedHat so it got to be improvements by the minute, however we use CloudLinux and agree with Nick they did muck Fedora up. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by CBH-Nick View Post
    I'd also like to see how this is going to affect CloudLinux.
    Probably no difference.

Igor and the guys at CloudLinux are awesome, whatever happens as a result of this (CentOS) acquisition will likely be a non issue to the product itself.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

I suspect (at least for now) they will lay low and keep things going business as usual. We'll know the full extent of 'changes' once RHEL7 rolls out, My guess is they will either severely delay or cripple the CentOS version in effort to force people to pay for RHEL. Think of what happened with Ksplice... everything is 'fine' for existing users but anyone new needs to buy their OS.
    Last edited by FastServ; 01-07-2014 at 08:17 PM.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

I used to love Fedora until they killed that. I love CentOS as a server OS.
    I would love to use use RHEL if I had the cash! But then again, feature wise.. whats the point, I fix my own issues..

So..

What is Redhats angle here?

Surely if they mess it up too much someone will just create a new "CentOS" based on the open source side of RHEL ?

Plz dont break it! I beg!
    I dont wanna use Ubuntu server
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelT View Post
    Actually, If you look at the bigger picture, there is quite a few possibilities, but here is one that would not surprise me in the short to medium term.

Look at CPanel - it used to be supported on several OS's, now - well the list is short!

http://cpanel.net/cpanel-whm/system-requirements/

With RHEL controlling the Dominant OS for CPanel, there might be a play by RHEL for CPanel - and to me, it actually makes sense.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

I think if RH wanted cPanel they would walk up and take it they could raise more than enough funds without bother.
    █ Manuel Tuthill
    www.regdotter.com Cheap domain names

█ www.AvenueHost.com Quality Shared, Reseller and VPS hosting.

While i understand some worries, i find acquired a big word ; there have been published several guarantees and it does not seem that Red Hat is owning CentOS now (which would be the case in an acquisition) although i can imagine some questionsmarks by some of the CentOS team being working at Red Hat. Its hard to say NO to your boss
    ŧ cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    ŧ
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    While i understand some worries, i find acquired a big word ; there have been published several guarantees and it does not seem that Red Hat is owning CentOS now (which would be the case in an acquisition) although i can imagine some questionsmarks by some of the CentOS team being working at Red Hat. Its hard to say NO to your boss
    From what I understand. They have essentially brought the CentOS guys into their nest.
    They will be working solely on it in a more professional way.

To me, Im hoping this means when new releases of RHEL come out, we should hopefully see the same with CentOS rather than the month after month wait.
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

Yeah, there goes the neighborhood.
    Redhat had their chance, and screwed up horribly
    CentOS came along and offered a (somewhat) reasonable alternative to RHEL.
    Now, there's basically going to end up being no alternative. It'll end up being RHEL or Fedora . CentOS is pretty much done for now

There's still Scientific Linux, as a RHEL alternative.
    Custom Open-Source Software Solutions
    dtady@cpan.org - Python/Django | Perl | Java | Linux | Amazon AWS | DevOps | Docker

Quote Originally Posted by cygnusd View Post
    There's still Scientific Linux, as a RHEL alternative.
    I don't think everyone on a forum driven at hosting websites is interested in a operating system that is developed by the European Organization for Nuclear Research and made for science labs (like Scientific Linux).
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software

I don't think everyone on a forum driven at hosting websites is interested in a operating system that is developed by the European Organization for Nuclear Research and made for science labs (like Scientific Linux).
    I don't think you know the fact that Scientific Linux is a viable RHEL-compatible alternative.
    You can, more or less, use the same packages and yum repositories between RHEL, CentOS, and SL. In the past/recent years, SL releases are more up-to-date with RHEL releases (especially security updates) than with CentOS.
    Custom Open-Source Software Solutions
    dtady@cpan.org - Python/Django | Perl | Java | Linux | Amazon AWS | DevOps | Docker

Quote Originally Posted by cygnusd View Post
    I don't think you know the fact that Scientific Linux is a viable RHEL-compatible alternative.
    You can, more or less, use the same packages and yum repositories between RHEL, CentOS, and SL. In the past/recent years, SL releases are more up-to-date with RHEL releases (especially security updates) than with CentOS.
    SL is designed for desktop use. CentOS is designed more for server use (although it can be used for desktop use as well). SL comes with GNOME installed by default, CentOS can be installed with or without a GUI. The RAM usage is different in SL and CentOS. SL is not fully compatible with most web hosting control panels (cPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin). I'm not trying to say SL or CentOS is better, they just serve different purposes.
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software

I hope you guys realize that:

1. RHEL, CentOS, SL, etc... are all basically just a stabilized version of Fedora.
    2. CentOS, SL, etc... are all RHEL (and in turn Fedora) sans the branding with some minor tweaks to a few packages in order to comply with licensing. Also SL is "worse" than CentOS (in terms of suitability as a general purpose OS) in that it prioritizes (re)building packages that are important for CERN.

So this changes nothing. If anything it helps RHEL achieve better turn around with users "starting out" with a "free (as in beer) version of RHEL" having reached a level where paid support is required or wanted...

CentOS was a mess. It's governing structure was and its future was uncertain. If anything, this is good news for CentOS as a project. As for CentOS as an OS - well, it's RHEL sans the branding, mkay?

I do agree with some posts above, that this might be just one step toward acquisition of cPanel.

CentOS was almost about to give up a few years ago. Project was going to die and I am surprised how they continued...
    Maybe RHEL buying them is a way of saving one of the biggest server OSs based on RH out there.
    Host.al
    .al domains
    Cheap offers for many ccTLDs

I have a few worries about this. I hope they don't do what they do with Fedora and push the updates as fast as they can (instead of leaving them and making sure they're stable first). I'd also like to see how this is going to affect CloudLinux.
    Lets hope not and to be honest I donīt think they will. This will just kill the CentOS products, the "no updates" pay for "updates" catch did not played well for other companies either, like Oracle Linux, if memory servers me right they include updates now for free as well.

The reason is simple. Who in their right mind would use a product that is unsafe? If they decide to give priority to security updates and patches for a paid CentOS or RHEL, all they will see is a brand decrease on CentOS, it will be known as "insecure" and hacked worldwide. Users will just move to something else in one minute.

RHEL realizes the reason people use CentOS is because its free. Would you kill that advantage or try to gain on it? I think they will try to sell extras on it, like support or manage, and to be honest that could even work as if you want official support for lets say your CentOS box, you have gazillion companies to choose, but none official. The CentOS project has promised for years a paid support option and as far as I know it never came.

Most users will not use that option but if you have the option of having commercial support from a big company, in case you ever need it, its nice to know its there, and some users could probably use if for some servers.

To be completely honest I would use RHEL if it was not so damn pricey. If I could choose between CentOS and RHEL I would go with the last one if my pocket could afford it for every server.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Probably no difference.

Igor and the guys at CloudLinux are awesome, whatever happens as a result of this (CentOS) acquisition will likely be a non issue to the product itself.
    Lets hope not, but from where are they getting their updates and packages? From CentOS? If so, they will be affected by any move to it. If they are partnering with RHEL and getting them from they, that is another story, but anything that affects CentOS will affected CloudLinux as well since its basically just that with some patches and extras.

On a side note, I donīt know how I feel about this. One part of me feels happy, RHEL, I like that company and I love their products, I would replace CentOS in a minute for RHEL if it was affordable, but for hosting in general its not. The OS costs to much, and CentOS is free, with all costs providers have, iīm not sure they would pay another extra costs for the OS. If this is their move they will just move to Ubuntu or just something else and CentOS will slowly die.

I think RHEL had move business and income and use thanks to CentOS than if CentOS did not existed. RHEL market would be very small if it was not for all those CentOS machines. If they will try to make a "RHEL" paid better product and "CentOS" cheap worst product, move, I donīt think hosting companies in general will jump in because nobody wants to be a second class citizen.

If they are going to lets users upgrade to RHEL from CentOS or sell support for CentOS or something similar, this could even work. One of the things that I disliked about CentOS is that RHEL has security patches first, so if they are going to give priority to that as well, they are going to get even more CentOS market.

Lets not forget Linux products grow and die in a second. Ubuntu is very popular, they cannot afford to lose users to Ubuntu and just like Fedora died in a minute, so can CentOS.

Lets hope they donīt do the mistakes Oracle did and talking about that. If RHEL pulls a bad move on CentOS, then people can go to Oracle Linux, I think even updates are free now. There are plenty of options, so lets see what RHEL does. Improve on what they have, or try to milk the projects and users into revenue and kill the product that way.

Reminds me of when MySQL was "acquired" by Oracle a few years ago.

Despite many predictions of gloom and doom and an impending death of mysql, everything with MySQL seems to have continued with no problems...
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    Lets hope not, but from where are they getting their updates and packages? From CentOS? If so, they will be affected by any move to it. If they are partnering with RHEL and getting them from they, that is another story, but anything that affects CentOS will affected CloudLinux as well since its basically just that with some patches and extras.
    We are getting our source packages from RHEL, and lately RHEL made it a bit more difficult. Their first step pushing kernel updates as single tarball instead of series of patches the way they did before. This made it harder to pick up individual patches.
    With RHEL 7 they have created another difficulty related to multilib (32bit binaries/libraries on 64 bit system). RHEL 7 beta is available only as 64bit OS, and to build 32bit packages for multi-lib -- we need all 32bit packages. Yet, because RHEL is not distributing 32bit version of OS -- it is much harder to bootstrap those 32bit multilib packages. Not something insurmountable -- more like a nuisance. Yet, it is interesting trend.
    To be honest -- from CL perspective, we are not worried too much. I believe in another 2-3 years we will be able to use generic kernels, and in that case we can even piggy back on CentOS/RHEL distirbutions by simply providing additional repo, as well as kernel/apache modules and set of tools/libraries.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc
    http://www.cloudlinux.com
    CloudLinux -- The OS that can make your Shared Hosting stable

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Reminds me of when MySQL was "acquired" by Oracle a few years ago.

Despite many predictions of gloom and doom and an impending death of mysql, everything with MySQL seems to have continued with no problems...
    Not "everything", why do you think everyone is making the switch from MySQL to MariaDB? MariaDB was started because Oracle acquired MySQL and the developers didn't like how Oracle was changing the direction of MySQL (like adding paid versions and stalling the development of the community edition).
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software

everyone
    Everyone? Care to back that up with some numbers?

And from what I've heard - just to toss another dwarf hearsay into the thread - "many" are having issues with MariaDB not really behaving the same as MySQL...

Not that I'm defending Oracle, I couldn't care less since we're primarily a PostgreSQL shop, and are running MySQL only for some third party legacy apps...

I'm just irked when when absolutes are being used like that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast