Questions About Personal Proxy

I'm looking to setup a proxy server for person use. I'm the only one accessing it and I'll only need one IP. I have other accounts with Stable Host so I'm going to stick with them and setup a VPS. It's asking what OS I want, I'm horrible with Linux, the only flavor I've ever been comfortable with Ubuntu. However almost all the Linux servers I've ever seen are CentOS. Should I stick with CentOS or does using Ubuntu change anything that would affect what I'm trying to do?

Also again very Linux illiterate, I'm thinking of using Squid to setup this proxy server, is that a good choice and if not what's going to be easiest to setup and maintain?

So you want to set up a web biased proxy for your personal use? Well squid is great to use for this. When it comes down to operating systems it's biased on your peanuts. I usually like going with Centos because it's everywhere bad most servers are equipped with it. Either operating system you choose I think you'll be good.

Have you consider doing VPN instead of proxy? It may be better on your behalf.

Squid is definitely a great option for this and is simple to set up. If you're comfortable with Ubuntu, use it. Don't just use CentOS because everyone else does.
    WonderProxy can help your team do localization testing from around the globe. With more than 200 locations there's no excuse for not testing your website.
    The Where's It Up? API can help multiply your monitoring infrastructure. You can request pings, traceroutes, DNS checks, and HTTP checks from all across the WonderProxy network.

If you are looking for a Web Based proxy you can use Glype Proxy. Gkype is a PHP based application. It will support for any OS.

The reason I'm setting up this proxy is because I took work that has me living abroad. I used to live in the US, and I'm finding things like Hulu, Pandora, Netflix, Amazon instant, basically anything that involves media sharing, even if it's paid or legal in the states, they don't do over here. There's a couple different services that "unblock" this or that. But I'm will to pay the $15 a month to setup my own proxy server on a VPS.

My BIGGEST concern is speed. I want to be able to push 25MB and not worry about my bandwidth getting choked out. From my research a private proxy is the way to go. On a 1-10 scale I'm a 7.5 on tech savyness, I just get really intimidated at the command line, hence why I've never been a fan of Linux. If anyone has any advice that would be most appreciated.

For streaming, you're probably going to want to look at VPN software, not an HTTP proxy like Squid. We use OpenSwan for ours, and I believe OpenVPN is another popular offering.
    WonderProxy can help your team do localization testing from around the globe. With more than 200 locations there's no excuse for not testing your website.
    The Where's It Up? API can help multiply your monitoring infrastructure. You can request pings, traceroutes, DNS checks, and HTTP checks from all across the WonderProxy network.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle42 View Post
    For streaming, you're probably going to want to look at VPN software, not an HTTP proxy like Squid. We use OpenSwan for ours, and I believe OpenVPN is another popular offering.
    Can you give me a high level explanation on the difference between on how a VPN would work to help me access my media vs a HTTP proxy?

An HTTP proxy tunnels individual connections or requests, and software must be written to be compatible with them. For instance your browser provides you options to specify what host/port/username/password to use when using a proxy. Flash/Silverlight and other plugins sometimes do not use the browser's settings and will try to connect directly to the source.

A VPN is configured at the OS level (probably Windows in your case), and is a tunnel over which all of your traffic goes; applications do not need to know about the tunnel, and they cannot bypass it.

I guess maybe my understanding is wrong, to bypass the block, I was going to install a Squid on a VPS. Then, this is where it gets hazy, but somewhere on my router I change the DNS settings from the given IP to the IP I setup on my VPS with my proxy, then the traffic is just routed through that IP so that it appears to be coming from somewhere else, is that right?

If so, then can I do the same with a VPN? For some reason with a VPN I remember you needing a username and a password. If I've got DD-WRT on my router, is there an area to plug all that information in?

Thanks for helping a noobile like myself, I am just really out of my depth on this.

I've heard of that setup before, but I'm not familiar with it. From what I've heard, that should work with just a basic Squid setup.

if you install squid it will work and if you setup tinyproxy it will work too with no problem about me i would buy an openvpn account better than buying a vps to install things myself in openvpn you don't have to install ddwrt to use your account you can install the client on your pc and it will work ok now the company i strongly suggest to buy the openvpn account from : https://www.privatetunnel.com
    why ? because they are the same people who programed the openvpn software and they offer you many locations us , nl , uk , ca ,swiss
    and you may try the service before buy for free they give 100 mb for free