Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are responsive websites here to stay?

I have been seeing some responsive websites popping up - when you load a site up on a pc, it looks normal, but when on a phone, the navigation menu ends up being a drop down. Do you all think they are going to be the norm? It seems to me as though that they may not, since more and more phones now can view websites just as pc's can these days.

I think you will see more responsive site around, lots of people view sites on mobile and I think it's nice if the site is easy to navigate on mobile.
    Unhappy with your current host? Take at look at The Pro Host
    Daily Backups|Guaranteed 99% uptime|Friendly support
    What else do you need?

More and more users are using Phones and Tablets to access the web. It is always better if it is convenient for your audience to go through your site.
    Brijesh Kothari - President Softaculous | AMPPS | Loginizer
    Softaculous - Best and Fastest Auto Installer and WordPress Manager
    Webuzo - Multi User Control Panel
    AMPPS - Local development stack for Windows and Mac

Responsive websites works on most mobile devices (Phones/Tablet) and all desktops. Even though a non-responsive website may look good on mobile devices there are lots of disadvantages.

One disadvantage is the user having to pinch and zoom to read text.

Another major disadvantage is the main navigation menu not working on mobile devices.

If you website use flash it may not work on mobile devices.

Many users use mobile phones to check out and even pay on website. Responsive website are de-facto now. 17% of cell phone owners do most of their online browsing on their phone, rather than a computer or other device.

Stats: http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2...-Findings.aspx
    BeltHosting.com Staff. Shared Web Hosting | Reseller Web Hosting | IRCD Hosting | psyBNC/sBNC/eggdrop/znc Hosting
    xShellz Linux Shell & IRCD Hosting.
    24/7 Live & Ticket Support

Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    I have been seeing some responsive websites popping up - when you load a site up on a pc, it looks normal, but when on a phone, the navigation menu ends up being a drop down. Do you all think they are going to be the norm? It seems to me as though that they may not, since more and more phones now can view websites just as pc's can these days.
    Sure you can view a standard website on your phone but a) it normally take too much bandwidth and b) the scale is too small. At the end of the day, its more about being accessible than it is about being technically feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pro Host View Post
    I think you will see more responsive site around, lots of people view sites on mobile and I think it's nice if the site is easy to navigate on mobile.
    Adding on to my point, all you need to do is add a full site button for the people which don't like the mobile sites
    Unhappy with your current host? Take at look at The Pro Host
    Daily Backups|Guaranteed 99% uptime|Friendly support
    What else do you need?

As most people using mobile devices for browsing,I think resposive sites are going to have more roles in future.More and more sites will come up with responsive coding

Yes, i think so. Its easier than using a small menu.

They can, and a lot of people will have a phone with a better resolution than their laptop/monitor.

Still, it's a smaller screen and very different to viewing it on a big screen. Mobile versions of websites should be designed with small screens in mind
    Some useful tutorials for VPSes...
    Set up an unmanaged Linux VPS to host websites
    (avoid having to pay for cPanel)
    Install a GUI on a Linux VPS with RDP (cheap alternative to paying for a Windows license if you need a basic remote workstation)

Responsive is here to stay. The technology is so simple in principle: just a different style settings for the mobile browsers. Although it's proven to be a bit painful to use in practice, the tools and best practices are going to develop rapidly.

In my opinion it's the right way to approach mobile for most websites. If the use cases for mobile site are complex, then you might want to consider a "proper" mobile site.

The reason they do this is because the screen is small not because phones can´t render the website correctly, so even if your mobile phone renders the full website fine, just like the desktop version, you are not going to use it like that. Users are going to pinch and zoom in to read since the screen is small.

You use websites differently in a small screen, you want users to avoid to zoom in and out all the time, which would be annoying, so they try to adapt the wide to fit in, users just have to do one thing then, which is scroll. And people like to scroll, both in phones and desktops.

Quote Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post
    Responsive is here to stay. The technology is so simple in principle: just a different style settings for the mobile browsers. Although it's proven to be a bit painful to use in practice, the tools and best practices are going to develop rapidly.

In my opinion it's the right way to approach mobile for most websites. If the use cases for mobile site are complex, then you might want to consider a "proper" mobile site.
    Sure, but it also means more development costs. Its not for everyone for sure if you want to keep things simple. Also not everyone wants the mobile website to be the same as the desktop one and someone developing a specific mobile website is going to probably have a better GUI for phones than someone just adapting the same website.

The problem comes that every single element you add now to the desktop will have to also be tested in the mobile screen. Updates could be slower. I assume if is the case, the company will usually create a very specific mobile version, frame it and put it as an app for Android, iPhone, etc.

I´m actually against this. Imagine if every website you visit on your mobile phone requires you to install an app. I prefer if all those apps that are nothing but just a mobile version would be available from the browser as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    The problem comes that every single element you add now to the desktop will have to also be tested in the mobile screen. Updates could be slower.
    If that's the case, I'd say the original developer has seriously messed up the site. Normal content doesn't usually need to be tested. Heck, that's one of the most important reasons why we use content management systems in the first place! If you're implementing completely new layouts or something like that you need to browser test those regardless.

Sorry, I don't understand the bit about apps at all. WHT has an app, but it's not a widespread phenomenon. Or is it?

I suspect the tools and techniques for responsive design will get better over time. Just look at Javascript, and where it's today.

Quote Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post
    If that's the case, I'd say the original developer has seriously messed up the site. Normal content doesn't usually need to be tested. Heck, that's one of the most important reasons why we use content management systems in the first place! If you're implementing completely new layouts or something like that you need to browser test those regardless.

Sorry, I don't understand the bit about apps at all. WHT has an app, but it's not a widespread phenomenon. Or is it?

I suspect the tools and techniques for responsive design will get better over time. Just look at Javascript, and where it's today.
    A very small small company usually does not has as developer, its the owner developing his own site. My point is that some personal individuals will not be able to keep up with having to test every new content they add to be fit in mobile as well in desktop. A developer? Sure, he will test everything, browsers, resolution, etc.

When you create new pages and add stuff to a website, you will make sure that things fit and looks nice in different versions because responsive designs may put images or tablet or other stuff in some position that is not desirable, so while it may look nice in the desktop it could be awful once you start to resize the browser and things start to collide with each other.

About apps, I mentioned this because there is the trend now to just put HTML apps inside some Android app and send it to the
    Google Play store. Allot of them are just a simple shortcut or icon to the company website, and others are nothing but a mobile website that runs inside the phone app. This means it does not actually do absolutely anything on the phone, the same apps could just run in the mobile browser since its just pure CSS, JS, HTML5, etc, it does not query any hardware features or phone features. Most app could run from the phone browser without the need to be an app. Reasons some do this, is because it will give them traffic from the store.

So what I tried to say is if every company that has a mobile version does this, you will end up installing an app just to visit their mobile page. I don´t see the need to have a phone app just to visit the mobile version of a website.

A very small small company usually does not has as developer, its the owner developing his own site. My point is that some personal individuals will not be able to keep up with having to test every new content they add to be fit in mobile as well in desktop. A developer? Sure, he will test everything, browsers, resolution, etc.
    And my point is that if your content needs to be tested again and again, there's a serious problem with your site. You're doing it wrong, or your technology vendor or developer was doing it wrong.

You shouldn't be able to thrown anything at a site, but publish articles in a consistent way that you've defined before creating the site. You may not be able to use weird image sizes wherever you want, but that's something you'd want to avoid in any case.

The scenario sounds very weird to me, and I just can't see why it would be a problem. Nobody's coding individual HTML pages from the ground up in this day and age. Template systems have nearly solved this issue before someone even came up with the actual technology that we call responsive design.

So what I tried to say is if every company that has a mobile version does this, you will end up installing an app just to visit their mobile page. I don´t see the need to have a phone app just to visit the mobile version of a website.
    Well, that's got nothing to do with responsive design. Actually it's the opposite, and the way you describe it just a lousy marketing gimmick. There are very few scenarios where I'd use a "native" mobile app to visit a site.
    Last edited by nettiapina; 01-13-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Yes very much.Since the usage of smartphones have increased a lot mobile responsive website is an efficient way to promote your websites at a global platform

Responsive sites are definitely here to stay.

Unless you have specific requirements, it definitely beats having to need a mobile + regular versions of your site, versus 1 responsive site.

An interesting article which would claim the opposite: http://sixrevisions.com/mobile/respo...ot-the-future/

Responsive web design definitely becoming popular, and important, but just because it works now doesn't mean we won't come up with better methods in the future.
    www.EasiestWebHosting.com - Keep it Simple.
    ● Web Hosting Should Be Easy! No technical jargon, no problems, no frustration.
    ● Low-cost high-quality shared hosting packages, optimized for small projects and WordPress blogs.

Well, the truth remains that responsive website will be more useful for mobile users. The only thing that one should be cautious when making a website responsive is to check what the website looks on mobile phone.

I encounter one scenario where the navigation was totally out when I view the site on a mobile device. So better check carefully every feature of a site when making it responsive.

As has been mentioned, the number of people browsing the Internet on non-PC devices is on the rise, so making sure they're as comfortable as possible is of utmost importance. Responsive design is currently the solution to that.

The question is, if not responsive sites, then what? What could better handle an influx of traffic browsing via small-screened devices than a site which automatically adjusts to those devices?

I don't think there is a better option, so I believe responsive design is here to stay.

I think responsive design is the future with the huge range of different devices out now. Some are visually very impressive until you try to navigate them but there's always going to be good and bad ways of doing it. I've read numerous times it's the recommended way of creating a mobile website by google, so if you want to create a mobile specific site it's the way to go. It can be a pain to test your site on different devices but not necessarily any more time consuming than creating and testing a dedicated mobile site.
    || Host3 UK Web Hosting
    || cPanel Web Hosting

We have implemented it in our new design and clients told us that they're happy with the responsive design. So, yes it really is a part of your site that you should have with the new generation of visitors (with that I mean mobile devices).
    ★★★★★
    HostSlim - Premium Managed Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated & Premium Hosting - Premium Network - 1.6Tbps DDoS Protection Available - OWN DATACENTER NETHERLANDS
    Resell Whitelabel Dedicated Servers - Twitter: @HostSlim - www.HostSlim.eu - Facebook: @HostSlimBV

Which CMS is best at creating simple responsive site

Creating new sites for existing companies. What simpler CMS software make creating pages for desktop and mobile easiest? Sites are simple 10 page informational sites, main page, about company, contact page, blog, bio, projects, small forum, user login in page, etc. Previously used concrete5 but open to all ideas as all 5 sites need upgrading with mobil users in mind.

what we do

we design for full size monitor ( 19" or larger ) FIRST- then we have no restrictions as to what layout style or features we use - THEN design mobile version with larger text | stripped down vertical menu and few images unless its a cart of course- then add browser sniffer code that will direct smaller device users to mobile version

This is the best way to do it- developers, get your price- don't lowball to get the deal- then do it right TWO websites instead of one responsive but limited one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast