Unhappy I'm sick of the shared hosting issues with every single hosting. Help me with VPS

OK.

I have been with GoDaddy, HostGator and even A2 Hosting.

GoDaddy was... Garbage when it comes to hosting.

HostGator was great for 2 years, then they started to fail. (Their support is unbeatable.)

A2 Hosting is the one I have right now. I moved to them last 3 months from HostGator. They have unlimited everything on SSD on their shared hosting plans. The first month with them my websites have been very fast, but not stable. Now, their response time is very high and I hate it.

3 years ago I found that spending more than 10$ on hosting is crazy, but I', going to spend 50$ after I thought about it for a while... It's a right investment for me, because most my time I manage these websites, in order to make some profit and do what I love. I want to focus on writing, not monitoring if my website is slow or down!

Most of the famous writers and bloggers that I read via my RSS Reader trust Media Temple for years and I haven't see any of their websites to be down or slow at all. And I really find Media Temple is quite unique in a sea of hosting; they're quite polished and care about design and other details. By the way, they updated their design today and hosting plans too with SSD database and other stuff.)

I do know that they're a bit pricey compared to other hosting companies (maybe 5$-10$ extra with every plan?). And I know that GoDaddy bought them, but I don't believe they're going to change soon.

So, I'm thinking to get the DV Managed (which is what they use; bloggers I follow, after I asked bunch of them.) It's 50$ a month with 1GB Ram, 30GB Storage, and 1TB Bandwidth.

Again, compared to some other hosting companies, they might give twice the ram or the storage. But I'm pretty sure you will find them failing in another thing like the uptime or the speed...etc. (A Small Orange for example. They have an excellent deal with their Cloud VPS, but they don't promise you with 99.999% uptime. You won't find the record on their website too, you must ask them via email. The answer is: 99.7% which bad for a big website.)

I have 4 personal and fancy websites and one main website which I have with it 80k pageviews a month and I spend most of the time on it.

One issue: Media Temple don't have free migration and they move any website to them for 150$ which is crazy... Is it easy to move my websites myself, especially that they don't use cPanel?

What do you think? What do you suggest? Should I move from shared hosting to Media Temple's VPS DV Managed?
    Last edited by Flfol; 01-07-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flfol View Post
    A2 Hosting is the one I have right now. I moved to them last 3 months from HostGator. They have unlimited everything on SSD on their shared hosting plans. The first month with them my websites have been very fast, but not stable. Now, their response time is very high and I hate it.
    Hi flfol,

Terribly sorry to hear about your troubles with our hosting - I'd like to help you. Could you PM me your contact info? I'd like to look into your account and see what's going on. You shouldn't be running into issues like you have expressed here and I would like to get to the bottom of it for you.

Thanks,
    Andy Melichar
    A2 Hosting
    ▌▌ Andy Melichar | amelichar@a2hosting.com
    ▌▌ A2 Hosting - FAST WordPress Hosting
    ▌▌ Toll Free (USA/Canada): 1-888-546-8946 | International: +1 734-222-4678
    ▌▌ Celebrating 10 Years of Hosting

Perhaps you should stop looking at hosts that offer "unlimited" everything? The problems you describe tend to go hand in hand with so called "unlimited everything" hosts.

On the other hand, you haven't given any details about your websites other than "slow".

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    Perhaps you should stop looking at hosts that offer "unlimited" everything? The problems you describe tend to go hand in hand with so called "unlimited everything" hosts.
    This is a terrible stereotype. A limited host can also offer crappy service.

On the other hand, you haven't given any details about your websites other than "slow".
    Slow, high response time, and frequent down time.

MediaTemple is now a Godaddy brand. It was acquired by Godaddy few months ago.

There are many good managed VPS providers who offer free migration. I will suggest you to check VPS offer section and short list few provider. Then search for their reviews on WHT and Google.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

Slow, high response time, and frequent down time.
    I meant the site(s) themselves. What types of sites are they? Wordpress, Joomla, basic html etc..

I recommend FreshRoastHosting not had any issues with them and love the personal support. Unlimited providers seem to overload their servers, however only a few of them don't and some are on WHT but it depends where you look.

i think wiredtree provide free migration contact them

I meant the site(s) themselves. What types of sites are they? Wordpress, Joomla, basic html etc..
    WordPress.

I don't think the issues from my end.

I have all fancy technologies for speeding the website installed and when I was with HostGator everything was fast and smooth... But they're not like before now.

It's not from my websites; I uploaded a simple HTML page on a plain domain and guess what? Same issues.

I want a host that I could guarantee.

WordPress.

I don't think the issues from my end.

I have all fancy technologies for speeding the website installed and when I was with HostGator everything was fast and smooth... But they're not like before now.

It's not from my websites; I uploaded a simple HTML page on a plain domain and guess what? Same issues.

I think the best option here would be to compose a list of possible new hosts, then starting asking them questions and perhaps take a test drive. Most offer money back policies in the first few weeks.

Have you spoken with the support departments with any of the hosts you're having problems with? Were they able to give you any insight on what the problems might be?

Take a look at FutureHosting and KnownHost!

Hello, Not sure exactly what you need but DigitalOcean has been excellent for the past 9 or so months.
    [----------------------------------------------------------]
    ...tildeverse...

Quote Originally Posted by RetroDigital View Post
    Hello, Not sure exactly what you need but DigitalOcean has been excellent for the past 9 or so months.
    I would love to use them, but sadly they don't offer managed VPS. I have no idea how to manage a server at all.

There are a lot of good hosts, but unfortunately there's triple the amount of bad hosts of which a lot of them advertise in the designated places on these forums. The best way to get around having to rely on someone else is to have your own VPS or Dedicated Server and get a cPanel license. As the old saying goes "If you want something done right, do it yourself!"

I think you have been in a combination of poor circumstances with each of your hosting provider and this may have dipped your confidence in shared hosting. However it shouldn't warrant a necessity to hop over to a VPS environment when your websites should be well managed on shared hosting according to your initial post.

You just need to find the correct provider. Message their Sales department, let them know about your situation and have them assure you of an improvement in the situation. Most providers will help you to transfer your websites for free.
    HostWithLove.com - World Class Hosting Personalized - 9 Locations Across 4 Continents
    Fully Managed Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel/WHM | CloudLinux | JetBackup | LiteSpeed | MariaDB | SpamExperts Outbound Filtering
    Locations: Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, Quebec, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Singapore and Sydney

There are a lot of great managed VPS hosts out there. From experience I can recommend futurehosting and soladrive. Should come in close to your budget.

Hope that helps
    Three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population

If you want designer friendly hosting look at the Site5 cloud plans, also have a look at SiteGround - similar name different mob. Or you could look at A Small Orange. I know EIG bought them but I am using them (VPS) and everything just works.
    HostComparator.com
    VPS and Dedicated Server Comparison
    The web hosts your mother wouldn't tell you about.

Always hear really good things about Futurehosting, and they look to have a sale on right now (managed)
    Some useful tutorials for VPSes...
    Set up an unmanaged Linux VPS to host websites
    (avoid having to pay for cPanel)
    Install a GUI on a Linux VPS with RDP (cheap alternative to paying for a Windows license if you need a basic remote workstation)

Your probably best looking either through the VPs offer forum, there is much better deals/providers to had. You will probably want more than 1gb of ram if you have some fairly busy sites, doesn't take much for php/mysql and the OS to use this memory.

If not a provider like digital ocean which I have used in the past with great results and a third party managed provider would probably fit your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
    Take a look at FutureHosting and KnownHost!
    Thanks for the recommendation XTremo!

Andy of A2 Hosting contacted me last couple of days and admitted the issues with the server that I was on.

He moved my whole account and websites to another server and my websites are back like before; fast and reliable.

I hope they remain like this without running into any issues.

Andy of A2 Hosting contacted me last couple of days and admitted the issues with the server that I was on.

He moved my whole account and websites to another server and my websites are back like before; fast and reliable.

I hope they remain like this without running into any issues.
    Glad to hear things are back to normal with your sites. We've also implemented a fix on the server you were previously hosted on, which resolved the issues we had been experiencing with it. Thanks for sticking with us and let me know if I can do anything for you!

-Andy
    ▌▌ Andy Melichar | amelichar@a2hosting.com
    ▌▌ A2 Hosting - FAST WordPress Hosting
    ▌▌ Toll Free (USA/Canada): 1-888-546-8946 | International: +1 734-222-4678
    ▌▌ Celebrating 10 Years of Hosting

funny how you lot recommend hosts since you don't know whatspecs this guys websites require.

Again, if the guy has heavy traffic or cpu load or memory load, ALL shared host would be useless to him and he will encounter same problem over and over again