Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you think of DigitalOcean?

Hey

I saw some ads of digitalocean about their offer which are really attractive!

I saw their offer on the homepage which is here www.digitalocean.com or the first one in this table https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing

so what do you think of this features and offer ( the 5$ one) compared to BlueHost or GoDaddy standard shared hosting offers and not VPS or Dedicated? and in general, what do you think about this company?

Thanks

They aren't bad at all I've seem some reviews here and there and usually I see people recommend them to others. I would presume they are better than blue host and host gator .. Try contacting them with some questions that you may want to ask then and see if they can suite your needs and wants.

I use one of their packages currently for hosting a small private forum, site loads practically instantly, not had any problems. Their Support is pretty fast too. I'd definitely recommend them!

Quote Originally Posted by Isa Al View Post
    Hey

I saw some ads of digitalocean about their offer which are really attractive!

I saw their offer on the homepage which is here www.digitalocean.com or the first one in this table https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing

so what do you think of this features and offer ( the 5$ one) compared to BlueHost or GoDaddy standard shared hosting offers and not VPS or Dedicated? and in general, what do you think about this company?

Thanks
    Thats $5 vps hosting it does not include any features of standard shared hosting. You can't really compare it to shared hosting. But digitalocean overall seems like a reliable provider and running a solid ship with a targeted niche

How about comparing DO with other unmanaged cloud VPS?

DO is very good at its price. I have tried few VPS, and their performance is great at the price they are offering.

But I think its good for personal use only. If you are planning to re-sell or sell shared/reseller hosting on DO vps, then its not good. You should also have basic knowledge of Linux server management, as it is completely un-managed.

The only drawback of DO is, every VPS is limited to single IP. There is no provision to purchase extra IP.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

see article:

http://vps2.me/digital-ocean-vps-vs-ramnode-vps/

Digitalocean. I'm using for testing.

the only thing I dislike is the download speed.

with ramnode, I have a good download speed.

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitoX View Post
    see article:

You are comparing a 100Mbps port to a 1000Mbps port. Big difference between the two.

The entire "cloud" thing is misleading BS.
    By their definition, "cloud" simply means "online".
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

DigitalOcean advertises that they are cheaper and faster than Amazon AWS so I'm sure their VPS are pretty fast. They also sometimes email clients with $5 promo codes so you can try out their services for free. I love their Backup & Snapshot feature.

see article:

It would be interesting to see an updated comparison since things have changed quite a bit since September.
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

DO is an interesting provider. certainly a lot of hype. personally, I didnt like that their VMs are limited to a single IP. Im not sure about any sort of LAN network (which may or may not matter to people). Also, customers have no ability to resize a VM without changing IPs and I think a migration. So, pretty cool company, idea and offering - but, the limitations in scaling and limitations in IPs per VM makes it difficult to use for many common use cases. I mean hosting 2 sites with dedicated IPs, means you need to manage 2 VMs instead of 1 with 2 IPs. Growth is difficult as downtime is significant with any resize - and bursting is near impossible

but, for what they offer and if their offering fits your use case - seems like good value for sure
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHostBox View Post
    They also sometimes email clients with $5 promo codes so you can try out their services for free. I love their Backup & Snapshot feature.
    You can easily find $10 DO coupon using Google search. But you need to first pay minimum $5 to get your account activated. So, basically you can try 3 months for $5 Thats a great deal for testing purpose

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    The entire "cloud" thing is misleading BS.
    By their definition, "cloud" simply means "online".
    Hahah yeah, it's pretty funny. That's why we're not even mentioning cloud once we launch our new service... even though it's probably more of a cloud than any of these other services.
    Loop Internet
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet and Colocation
    99.999% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Digital Ocean strikes me as being very comparable to Linode. They're clearly both targeting developers above all else, and they offer good tools to facilitate provisioning and management. They're very different animals to most other VPS providers because of the emphasis on these tools.

With that said, Digital Ocean is significantly behind Linode. It lacks the ability to do things that are trivial with Linode, such as move IPs around, manage images, and recover from disasters. They've also had some slightly worrying 'growing pain' issues recently that make me reluctant to use them for anything serious yet, such as not securely wiping data after de-provisioning a VPS — allowing the next customer to access it if they know how.

One big difference between the two is that Digital Ocean has a clear emphasis on providing fast IO performance by universally utilising SDDs, whereas Linode emphasises fast CPU performance by universally providing 8 CPU cores (which I've put to the test on numerous nodes and you really can use up to about 800% CPU without host complaint — they consistently excel in this area). Depending on your application, either one could be a much better choice.

In terms of pricing, Digital Ocean is cheap. It's arguably too cheap, and makes me worry about their redundancy and capacity in case of problems. I suspect that Digital Ocean is cramming a lot of servers onto a single machine to keep things so affordable.

It's worth bearing in mind that whereas Linode explicitly defines contention numbers (~40 in the case of the 1GB plan machines), Digital Ocean actively avoids doing so even when directly asked. And even though it says '1 core', '2 cores', etc on the site, that's only CPU access. The question is how much CPU can you actually use as servers fill up, and this really comes down to the company's philosophy concerning how they load their servers. Linode has proven its long-term commitment to performance thus far, and regularly overhauls its hardware and plans.
    Last edited by Ryan Williams; 01-07-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Just my 2c. -> DO is more likely for advanced users not for people looking for $5 all-in-one hosting solution.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Quote Originally Posted by WebHostDog View Post
    Just my 2c. -> DO is more likely for advanced users not for people looking for $5 all-in-one hosting solution.
    I completely agree with you
    Even if you have cPanel, you need to use DO DNS.
    Also, its tough to configure email. DO recommends to use Google email service.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHostBox View Post
    DigitalOcean advertises that they are cheaper and faster than Amazon AWS so I'm sure their VPS are pretty fast. They also sometimes email clients with $5 promo codes so you can try out their services for free. I love their Backup & Snapshot feature.
    I agree, I like the function Snapshot & Backup of digitalocean. I would like to see this function in vps kvm ramnode

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    Digital Ocean strikes me as being very comparable to Linode. They're clearly both targeting developers above all else, and they offer good tools to facilitate provisioning and management. They're very different animals to most other VPS providers because of the emphasis on these tools.

With that said, Digital Ocean is significantly behind Linode. It lacks the ability to do things that are trivial with Linode, such as move IPs around, manage images, and recover from disasters. They've also had some slightly worrying 'growing pain' issues recently that make me reluctant to use them for anything serious yet, such as not securely wiping data after de-provisioning a VPS — allowing the next customer to access it if they know how.

One big difference between the two is that Digital Ocean has a clear emphasis on providing fast IO performance by universally utilising SDDs, whereas Linode emphasises fast CPU performance by universally providing 8 CPU cores (which I've put to the test on numerous nodes and you really can use up to about 800% CPU without host complaint — they consistently excel in this area). Depending on your application, either one could be a much better choice.

In terms of pricing, Digital Ocean is cheap. It's arguably too cheap, and makes me worry about their redundancy and capacity in case of problems. I suspect that Digital Ocean is cramming a lot of servers onto a single machine to keep things so affordable.

It's worth bearing in mind that whereas Linode explicitly defines contention numbers (~40 in the case of the 1GB plan machines), Digital Ocean actively avoids doing so even when directly asked. And even though it says '1 core', '2 cores', etc on the site, that's only CPU access. The question is how much CPU can you actually use as servers fill up, and this really comes down to the company's philosophy concerning how they load their servers. Linode has proven its long-term commitment to performance thus far, and regularly overhauls its hardware and plans.
    I have wondered about this quite a bit. what features do linode/do provide which you feel are really important to developers and not typically available from other providers?
    I agree, I like the function Snapshot & Backup of digitalocean. I would like to see this function in vps kvm ramnode
    is there something special about the snapshot/template feature over at DO? or is it like any other snapshot feature? (sorry, not trying to start trouble, just honestly curious)
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Saw this thread earlier but have never used SO so couldn't comment, but I just stumbled across this on Reddit

http://vpsexperience.wordpress.com/2...t-a-blog-post/

Quite an interesting read
    Some useful tutorials for VPSes...
    Set up an unmanaged Linux VPS to host websites
    (avoid having to pay for cPanel)
    Install a GUI on a Linux VPS with RDP (cheap alternative to paying for a Windows license if you need a basic remote workstation)

They seem to be a pretty solid, popular provider, especially at their price point. As a business-person, I would be a little bit concerned at the longevity and profit within the business model, especially with the scarcity of IPs. The biggest issue cheap unmanaged providers tend to have is with things like DDoS and other abuse type isues, which can impact other customers (things like entire IP ranges being listed on blacklists, for example), so they'll need a robust method for dealing with that.

They definitely have a good PR machine going though.

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    I have wondered about this quite a bit. what features do linode/do provide which you feel are really important to developers and not typically available from other providers?
    I guess everyone has different needs, but for me personally I find the efficiency with which I can create, resize, and rebuild servers very high thanks to a great UI and consistently fast speed. There's a great choice of operating system distributions, and the ability to swap disk images, clone them, etc is useful. The Finnix recovery mode has been invaluable to me a few times too, being able to set up a load balance with ease is good, and I spend a lot of time using the relatively recent Longvew feature (seriously good stuff). The superb performance on top of all this is just the icing on the cake really.

I think it's less about the features on paper though, and just putting everything into practice in an elegant and straightforward way. The amount of hosting providers that I've found myself losing patience with because of bad UI is quite high. If you're a 'set and forget' type of guy then maybe this isn't such an issue, but when you're spending a lot of time messing around with something it needs to be right. Unfettered access to everything I need is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Looie View Post
    Saw this thread earlier but have never used SO so couldn't comment, but I just stumbled across this on Reddit

http://vpsexperience.wordpress.com/2...t-a-blog-post/

Quite an interesting read
    Indeed it is.

Google's 20-something Travis Collins sound like an a-hole. And the fact that DigitalOcean threaten its customers that spoke about the NPR story, and the Google employee mouthing off online about it sarcastically, is quite revealing. In other words, DigitalOcean is another immature company that businesses should avoid, according to this.

That what I get from it. Just another reason for me to avoid DigitalOcean.

Last edited by kpmedia; 01-08-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Indeed it is.

Google's 20-something Travis Collins sound like an a-hole. And the fact that DigitalOcean threaten its customers that spoke about the NPR story, and the Google employee mouthing off online about it sarcastically, is quite revealing. In other words, DigitalOcean is another immature company that businesses should avoid, according to this.

I was wondering how long it would take for that to get here form Reddit.

Indeed it is.

Read some of it....need more time to read the rest....but from the 3rd paragraph, it seems the writer took Travis's responses and used it against him without prior knowledge...which invalidates everything after the fact.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast