We are looking to setup new VPS nodes with Hyper-V -
96GB DDR3 RAM
8 x 2TB WD RE4
2 x 160GB Intel 3500 DC SSD
RAID card with BBU and Cachecade
2U chassis with 8 / 10 hotswap
Motherboard with IPMI
If we go for supermicro, what is recommended for the chassis, motherboard and raid card ?
1. 2x E5-2640v2 (2.0Ghz 8-core) would save you US$600+ over E5-2650v2 (2.6Ghz 8-core). clock speed usually not a pressing factor on a VPS node.
2. 2TB WD RE (WD2000FYYZ; 6G/s SATA-III) over RE4 (WD2003FYYS; 3G/s, SATA-II). cost is about the same between the two
3. S3500 SSD has pretty poor write-endurance level, and RAID card would write a lot to SSD caching drives every day (perhaps several folds of SSD capacity!) so that it would be wise to use S3700 SSD as cachecade caching drive(s)
4. LSI MegaRAID 9271-8iCC (cachecade bundled) plus LSICVM01 cachevault is highly recommended
5. SC826BE16-R920LPB would be a good choice for you: http://www.supermicro.com/products/c...E16-R920LP.cfm
link 1st SAS channel on 9271-8iCC to the 12-bay SAS-II expansion backplane, then connect 2nd SAS channel to the 2x caching SSD drives which are to be installed in optional 2x 2.5" hot-swap bays at rear panel
6. server board: X9DRI-F (2x GbE) or X9DRE-LN4F (4x GbE)