Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hostgator Sucks Please avoid them..:(

Hello Folks,

Here is the actual face of Hostagtor. Hostgator will come behind like a jackass while purchasing a product. But after purchasing a product that's it.. they will never bother to your queries.

First Issue I faced was server down for 3 times in just one month.

Second Issue was site loading speed, and hostgator requested me to use the default wordpress theme which helps in increasing the site load speed.

Third issue was they took ages to reply to my emails, and their chat service is one of the worst and for each and every conversation would happen for atleast 2 hours.

Fourth Issue I purchased a three year plan from them and cancelled the plan as requested for refund but there is not reply to my mails and till now there is no refund initiated.

So guys pls think once before going to hostgator.

Pls: can any one guide me what is the next step should I take I am not getting refund.

Hostgator is going down day by day since EIG acquired them. Nothing new, its happening since ages.
    They are slow in support, because their large setup or anything you can think.
    If your site speeds up a bit on default theme then you seriously need to check your themes. Buggy theme can also slow down a website/overload resources of account etc.

No billing teams works on weekends. Give them 24 more hours for refund. I hope they can issue a refund.
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

Are you still within their moneyback guarantee? They may refused your request if you are outside of their moneyback guarantee.

I suggest you to avoid EIG hosts in future. Your experience with HostGator should speak for itself.

The list of EIG hosts are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enduran...national_Group
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Only listening of degradation in quality since HG's acquisition by EIG, never heard anything good for a long time!

and one thing that make me hate is they still use fantastico than softaculous.since fantastico is outdate and not developed anymore

I think we need a sticky thread in this section titled: Have you had a bad experience with HostGator/iPage/Fatcow? Read this!

Everytime this kind of topic comes up, we get the same links to Wikipedia and EIG hosts.

This is a daily occurrence lately. I'm not exaggerating!
    EIG has really ruined Hostgator in the past 8+ months, after buying it in June 2012.
    It not just WHT, but all over the web.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by artetatu View Post
    and one thing that make me hate is they still use fantastico than softaculous.since fantastico is outdate and not developed anymore
    You cannot say Fantastico is outdated. But Yes, softaculuous is much better than fantastico. I also prefer softaculous.

HG will send you refund for unused period. I haven't heard any refund issue with HG. But yes they do take some time in refund process.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Servers View Post
    I think we need a sticky thread in this section titled: Have you had a bad experience with HostGator/iPage/Fatcow? Read this!

Everytime this kind of topic comes up, we get the same links to Wikipedia and EIG hosts.
    @bear
    I think its a good idea though
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

Their service can go down the drain, but people will still use them =) That's their power unfortunately.

Pls: can any one guide me what is the next step should I take I am not getting refund.
    Are you within their 45 day money back guarantee?

I have had HG hosting for a few years, some issues along the way but nothing major. Not sure I would recommend them to others but at the same time no reason not to from my own experience.

Hostgator has been going down hill day by day.I started using them 3 years ago and now they are going down day by day after aquired by EIG.I think it will be better to stay out of hostgator these days.There are many other better hosts out there

we also are using their and services but every thing ok, although they delay, but they are responsive. i suggest you to better get review your problem with them

Pintu and AHTN:

Are you still being hosted on The Planet? Or have you been migrated to Unifiedlayer? Hostgator is still good for the handful of clients that are still hosted on The Planet, but eventually everyone will be moved to Unifiedlayer, which is a slow service that is always down.

If you don't know what I am talking about, run a trace route to check what datacenter your site is on.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    EIG has really ruined Hostgator in the past 8+ months, after buying it in June 2012.
    Well...you and I know they sat on that for about a year before the chaos started. What always amuses me; the comments of people who had no idea (sold almost 2 years ago), or the comments with the tone of finding a lost puppy "ohhhh I'm sooooo sorry to hear...perhaps talking to support will help you. dear dear now"

Quote Originally Posted by Askforhost-AJ View Post
    Hostgator is going down day by day since EIG acquired them. Nothing new, its happening since ages.
    They are slow in support, because their large setup or anything you can think.
    If your site speeds up a bit on default theme then you seriously need to check your themes. Buggy theme can also slow down a website/overload resources of account etc.

No billing teams works on weekends. Give them 24 more hours for refund. I hope they can issue a refund.
    I had cancelled my account on Dec 6th, and kept a reminder mail on Dec 31st regarding the refund. and till now there is no reply from hostgator. Now Its time for me to keep a mail to the COO...

We have been saying this here on WHT for a long time.
    The thing is - someone asks for hosting and someone always jumps and says - HOSTGATOR! VERY GOOD! GO THERE!

Quote Originally Posted by kambone View Post
    The thing is - someone asks for hosting and someone always jumps and says - HOSTGATOR! VERY GOOD! GO THERE!
    Usually someone with 2 or 3 posts...never to be heard from again.

we already know that they sucks nowadays. i don't think you will get any refund.

I would suggest you to read their policy document once about the refund policies and shifting to other service provider is always one best option when you feel that the response is too slow from them. Check with other host providers and choose a medium size company for your requirements where you can directly contact a technical person for the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    Usually someone with 2 or 3 posts...never to be heard from again.
    Lots of site admins and mods have noticed this for several years now. It pre-dates the EIG mess, but it still goes on. It looks suspiciously like a spma-based PR campaign, and 99.9% of the people that write these claims are from India, Philippines, etc.

Hostgator was very flawed pre EIG.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

When I too ask about hosting, most of the people had mentioned go for hg. My first server was hg too. Seems like hg is not a company to be recommended.
    The coder.

And all of us non-EIG companies are happy to pickup the fallout
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post
    And all of us non-EIG companies are happy to pickup the fallout
    That is quite smartly said
    || Tecsys Solutions LLC | Outperforming the Performers!! ||
    || Outsourced Server Management and Technical Support Solutions ||
    || Now Offering Secure Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers specially setup for Hosting Providers ||
    || https://www.24x7TechnicalSupport.net ||

I'm not from China, India, or the Philippines, and HostGator has worked fine for me. They've even helped me with things like connecting to the Facebook API or debugging my scripts when I was stuck a couple times. You have to remember how large the company is, and how many customers, and the fact they had a support willing to help me is pretty amazing. I'm glad they're starting to fail though, in my opinion they were getting too powerful/dominant.

Another HostGator Horror Story - with facts...

Everyone has been talking about how their overall support and quality has been dropping since they were purchased... Here is a fact based example.

We have 2 reseller servers with them, about 140 accounts. In the last 3 months, since they migrated to their 'newer & better' server, we have had 4 WordPress sites dropped offline with out prior notice. We get an email that the site has used more resources than allowed and had to be dropped. We are instructed to just 'fix it'. To do this, you need to provide your IP address so they can give you access to work on the site.

For this last incident, we emailed them at 4pm with the IP address. As of 1240am, almost 9 hours later, still no response.

Keep in mind, this is for a live client site. I have no issue with a server team keeping the server running fine and dropping a site if needed. But....

NO Prior Warning. You can't tell me a server can't be configured to send out a warning email well before the shut off. Plus, 8+ hours and no response to the ticket? Awesome customer service.

My Original Email:
    -----Original Message-----
    From: WebMaster @ XXXXXXXXXXX [mailto:webmaster@***********]
    Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 4:05 PM
    To: [email protected]'
    Subject: RE: A new ticket has been created for you: 26934515

My IP is: 174.XX.XX.154 Please enable it so we can bring the site back online.

My Chat Transcript at

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:35 AM
    To: [email protected]***********
    Subject: HostGator.com Support Chat Transcript

[Initial Question]:
    (11:12 pm) [System] Customer has entered chat and is waiting for an agent.
    (11:15 pm) [Joel T.] Welcome to HostGator Live Support. My name is Joel T. How may I assist you today?
    (11:16 pm) [Robert H]: I'd like an update on those two tickets please.
    (11:17 pm) [Joel T.] I am checking on these. For security purposes, I will need to verify your identity by having you provide your account's billing credentials in the popup that will soon follow this message. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
    (11:17 pm) [Robert H]: ik
    (11:17 pm) [Robert H]: ok
    (11:18 pm) [Joel T.] Thank you. I am checking on those ticket for you still.
    (11:23 pm) [Joel T.] Alright, the tickets were still waiting to be looked over. Sorry for the delays on that. I have gotten them escalated for you so they will be answered quickly. Do you have any questions for me about this or any other issues you need assistance with in the meantime?
    (11:24 pm) [Robert H]: No other question. I just don't understand how you can completely drop a site with out warning and then take over 8 hours to address the ticket and the information needed so we can bring the site back online.
    (11:25 pm) [Robert H]: Especially considering all that was needed was to add my IP address to the access file, which I know does not take 8 hours.
    (11:26 pm) [Joel T.] My apologies for any trouble that this has been. We only do this if we have to for the stability of the server and the other users on the server.
    (11:27 pm) [Robert H]: Can you tell me why a warning email isnt' sent out at 80% or 90%? You terms say you limit CPU usage to 25%, there's a big jump from 25 to 100 where you shut us offline.
    (11:28 pm) [Robert H]: So now, we get to sit and wonder when the next site is going to get shut off by surprise.
    (11:29 pm) [Joel T.] Sorry, Robert. We do not mean to make it a surprise; it just happens with the CPU usage gets high. There is not always good warning.
    (11:31 pm) [Robert H]: We've had this happen to 3 additional sites in the last 3 months, all of them without any previous warnings. That is a great way to keep customers. Just another example of HostGator Awesomeness. Have a great evening.
    (11:32 pm) [System] Chat closed by customer request.

Quote Originally Posted by mannadesignwork View Post
    NO Prior Warning. You can't tell me a server can't be configured to send out a warning email well before the shut off. Plus, 8+ hours and no response to the ticket? Awesome customer service.

When dealing with EIG owned hosts, this is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by mannadesignwork View Post
    We have 2 reseller servers with them, about 140 accounts. In the last 3 months, since they migrated to their 'newer & better' server, we have had 4 WordPress sites dropped offline with out prior notice. We get an email that the site has used more resources than allowed and had to be dropped. We are instructed to just 'fix it'. To do this, you need to provide your IP address so they can give you access to work on the site.

HG reseller accounts starting going downhill from a few years ago. There's only so much a server can handle...and reseller accounts are on the same servers as shared accounts.

With 140 accounts, you could possibly start looking into a managed VPS. WiredTree is good for managed. If your your not ready for a vps, take a look through the Resellers offers section (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130).

1. Make a list of resellers that fit your needs
    2. Search for reviews on here
    3. Contact them and ask if they will migrate your accounts

I know migrations and nameservers won't be fun, but better to deal with all of that now during so you can be in a better position in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    I know migrations and nameservers won't be fun, but better to deal with all of that now during so you can be in a better position in the long run.
    mannadesignwork -- HG uses cPanel, along with many reliable VPS providers. Although multiple migrations won't exactly be an enjoyable process, many of these VPS hosts will offer managed migration services and.. cPanel to cPanel transfers are a lot less messy than other migration scenarios.

This is a daily occurrence lately.
    Indeed, there is a new thread everytime I open WHT.

I guess branding is more important then quality.
    JixHost | U.S.A. based hosting & support for 8+ years. | Powerful, reliable network.
    JixHost.com | Instant Activation | Trusted by over 115,000 clients served globally.
    █ Cloud VPS | Alpha Reseller | Master Reseller | Reseller | BBB Rated "A+".
    █ 24/7/365 Help desk support | Recurring Affiliate Program available.

reseller servers? do you mean reseller accounts? or do you resell their VPS?

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Red face Have to agree with the bad Hostgator comments here

Was using Hostgator for over 5 years with good service. Then recentlly in November 2013 received an email from hostgator saying my account was being upgraded onto brand new more powerful servers... Been having nothing but problems since then. Sites being absurdely slow, sites going up then down, what a mess. The weird thing is a site gets slower and slower until it hits a point were the site doesn't load, then all of a sudden its fast again. This happens over and over. Have called hostgator numerous times and they keep saying it's a plug-in or the site is running fine. I turned the plug-in off that they had mentioned and no change. I even went into my site and compressed pictures, css files, js files with no change same problem.

Was wondering if anyone new of a good reseller service that is not a part of the "hostgator family" ? More concerned about good service than cost...

Thanx

Hello,

Please read this email urgently and in its entirety as it contains very important information regarding your HostGator account on sauberc9.websitewelcome.com. This email is informative only and no changes will be required on your part.

Your account is being upgraded onto brand new, more powerful hardware which will include the latest versions of cPanel and CentOS.
    We plan to facilitate this upgrade as quickly and seamlessly as possible. Ensuring your total satisfaction with this maintenance is our primary objective. We will keep you updated via e-mail throughout. The upgrade process itself will result in an exact copy of your account being moved to new hardware, and will ensure that the freshest possible, up-to-the-minute data is retained.

*** These name servers will be automatically pointed to the new server upon completion of the migration. At this time there is no further action required on your part. ***

Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

Quote Originally Posted by I-M Law View Post
    Was using Hostgator for over 5 years with good service. Then recentlly in November 2013 received an email from hostgator saying my account was being upgraded onto brand new more powerful servers...
    Yep, it's a lie.
    You were migrated to another state, onto slower equipment.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by Stevensst View Post
    Their service can go down the drain, but people will still use them =) That's their power unfortunately.
    But for how long, I have seen Internet companies come and go over the many years I have been online. I have witnessed the growth in hostgator but now I'm seeing it fall down as fast.
    hosting is ongoing

I found hostgator was sweet when I was hosting all my sites & clients sites with them.. Definitely one of the better 'big player' hosting companies out there, especially for their support..

I was using HostGator for a few months for web hosting and had no problems. I moved from them due to me needing a more powerful dedicated server solution. However I do have to say that their support response time was a bit slow.

It really sucks because I hate to see such a great company suffer like this. But it doesn't surprise me! It all comes down to the attitude of the management, and it's very easy to destroy a company's culture and stop them caring about the customer. I've still been getting good response from the live chat when I had an issue. (They confirmed it was an issue, and opened a ticket for me, I got an email the next day that it was fixed, and it still works.)

For resellers, I don't recommend them simply because it's incredibly limited. You're better off to go with a smaller but established company, around a year or two old, who has lots of space on their server and wont care how much you use because they have no other clients to fill it up yet. Expect to switch companies on average every 3-7 years until you find a really good one.

Quote Originally Posted by azoundria View Post
    You're better off to go with a smaller but established company, around a year or two old, who has lots of space on their server and wont care how much you use because they have no other clients to fill it up yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast