Anyone Else Join T-Mobile Recently?

Last year I would have laughed if I told my future me that I would join T-Mobile. However, John Legere (the new CEO since 2012) has turned T-Mobile around in my opinion! T-Mobile is going to be at CES 2014 in a couple days to announce their Uncarrier 4.0 plan. I can't wait to see what it is! Rumors are that they will start offering to pay your cancellation fee to come on over to them.

I live in the Twin Cities (the great cold state of Minnesota) and T-mobile launched LTE I think in the summer of 2013. As any new carrier launches LTE, the speeds are fast. I'm sure they will dissipate over time, but I can easily get 30 - 40 Mbps down in my suburb city of Eagan, Minnesota.

So my question to you, with all the changes T-Mobile made in 2013, have you thought about switching or did you switch?

I've already know what 1 response I'm going to hear "T-Mobile isn't in my area, or they are still only 2G coverage." However, if you're like me and you don't leave your coverage area 99% of the time and T-Mobile is in your area, then they have REALLY changed DRASTICALLY over the past year! I would look into them if they do have LTE in your area.

I have 4 smartphones on my T-Mobile plan and our bill is $120/month with a 15% Progressive discount. THAT'S CHEAP!! Here's a break down:

1. All 4 phones get unlimited text and data
    2. Phones 1 and 2 get 2.5GB of data each
    3. phones 3 and 4 get 500MB of data each. (my parents phones and they are over 50 yrs. old. This is more than enough for them.)

Keep in mind, T-Mobile is still offering unlimited data with 2.5GB of hotspot as well. This is only an extra $10/month. Sprint is the only other carrier that offers unlimited data, but everyone knows with Sprint you can't over over 1Mbps. LoL in the Twin Cities everyone complains so bad about them. That's another story though.

I'm going on vacation next week to the Caribbean and I will also get FREE DATA! Yes, it's only 2G data, but it will be enough to start uploading a few pictures to Facebook and check my e-mails. Text messages are also free, and phone calls are ONLY $0.20/minute!! All other carriers charge about $1.49/minute.
    Last edited by NerdsHosted; 01-06-2014 at 01:05 AM.

Still relatively expensive. I've actually just downgraded to $8 a month contract, for "unlimited" hotstap and 3g data seeing I only used 600mb last month (and that was with roaming the country on various trips - usually about 200mb), but only the first 500mb 3g at full speed, after that it is then throttled to 128kbps (about gprs+ speed). Unlimited text messaging is an easy proposition nowadays, it is kind of like post office offering free morse code service (in face of WhatsApp, Line, Facebook chat, Skype, viber, weechat, google hangouts/chat/talk).

Amazed at how expensive mobile phone service is in US, granted my example is on the other extreme though.
    MattF - Since the start..

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    Still relatively expensive. I've actually just downgraded to $8 a month contract, for "unlimited" hotstap and 3g data seeing I only used 600mb last month (and that was with roaming the country on various trips - usually about 200mb), but only the first 500mb 3g at full speed, after that it is then throttled to 128kbps (about gprs+ speed). Unlimited text messaging is an easy proposition nowadays, it is kind of like post office offering free morse code service (in face of WhatsApp, Line, Facebook chat, Skype, viber, weechat, google hangouts/chat/talk).

Amazed at how expensive mobile phone service is in US, granted my example is on the other extreme though.
    $120/month (or $30 per phone) is VERY cheap here in the U.S. Verizon and AT&T customers could only dream for this.

If you're on Verizon or AT&T with 2 phones, you typically pay about $150+. And that's just to start with the minimum data packages.

You pay $8/month and you get 500MB of data and then the rest is throttled? Do you get unlimited talk and text? The 500MB is on par with T-Mobile.

Basically when I added on the 3rd and the 4th phone, they only cost $10/month and get 500MB data included. After 500MB, the data is throttled down just like yours.
    Last edited by NerdsHosted; 01-06-2014 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeksHosted View Post
    $120/month (or $30 per phone) is VERY cheap here in the U.S. Verizon and AT&T customers could only dream for this.

If you're on Verizon or AT&T with 2 phones, you typically pay about $150+. And that's just to start with the minimum data packages.

So I'm confused... you pay $8/month and you get how much data? Do you get unlimited talk and text?
    Sorry I should of made it clearer.. I mentioned US$ as a point of comparison but failed to mention this is in Thailand. And looking at xe.com it is actually closer to $10 with all the sales tax included.

I pay 299thb (us$9) per month for "unlimited" 3g (first 500mb on 3g not-throttled, wifi not throttled) and truemove wifi hotspots (everywhere here), voice and sms are excluded but reasonable rates per minute. I send only a handful of SMS a month, voice calls that I do make locally generally add another dollar or two.

But in comparison to the UK (a more modest comparison point) it is still expensive, you're paying all that per month with no handset subsidies?

Tmobile UK:
    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/sim-only/plans/
    MattF - Since the start..

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post

But in comparison to the UK (a more modest comparison point) it is still expensive, you're paying all that per month with no handset subsidies?

Tmobile UK:
    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/sim-only/plans/
    I've never looked at T-Mobiles plans in other countries before!

I would need their unlimited plan which 28 (converted to U.S. that is $45.) On T-Mobile.com an unlimited plan is $70 for just 1 line. Quite a big difference. However, I'm not sure how T-Mobiles network is in the U.K. (LTE, etc.)