Question Using PayPal for both PayPal and Credit Card payments?

Hi Guys,
    I'm still trying to find my feet with everything, and I can't find a payment gateway that supports my country.
    2CheckOut does, but at 5.5% + $0.30 transaction fees, it seems a tad high.

I was wondering if I could simply use PayPal to process credit card payments as well, or should I keep looking for a payment gateway to add a second gateway apart form PayPal?

And will PayPal process a credit card payment without requesting the user to register a PayPal account first?

Thanks!

Yes, you can use PayPal to process card payments without your clients even needing to know it's being processed by PayPal. You'll be charged a $20/mo fee for this service.

Are you using a bespoke cart or something like magento/opencart?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom, View Post
    Yes, you can use PayPal to process card payments without your clients even needing to know it's being processed by PayPal. You'll be charged a $20/mo fee for this service.

I will be using WHMCS.
    But I just read having Paypal Pro means I would have to be PCI compliant, so I guess I'll just use the non Pro.
    But I don't want to give people a head ache with PayPal asking them to sign up first, so I'm not sure if I should try and find a second payment gateway for credit cards as well.

PayPal can do this, but you need to have Merchant account, if I'm right. I personally use 2checkout and they are fine with me so far. Their fee is a little bit higher, but they have secure system against fraud and have nice gui to review payments.
    BeltHosting.com Staff. Shared Web Hosting | Reseller Web Hosting | IRCD Hosting | psyBNC/sBNC/eggdrop/znc Hosting
    xShellz Linux Shell & IRCD Hosting.
    24/7 Live & Ticket Support

Quote Originally Posted by StefanHost View Post
    PayPal can do this, but you need to have Merchant account, if I'm right. I personally use 2checkout and they are fine with me so far. Their fee is a little bit higher, but they have secure system against fraud and have nice gui to review payments.
    2Co fraud review is worst, Erlier we had post here our experience about 2Co how we lost 2k USD due to their bad fraud review.
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Openvz SolusVm VPS DDOS Protected Canada & Romania
    Dedicated Servers And Satellite Dish Colocation with 1Gbps For IPTV
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Quote Originally Posted by LankapartnerHost View Post
    2Co fraud review is worst, Erlier we had post here our experience about 2Co how we lost 2k USD due to their bad fraud review.
    Well we haven't had any personal problems so far, however we do use MaxMind at WHMCS checkout page.
    BeltHosting.com Staff. Shared Web Hosting | Reseller Web Hosting | IRCD Hosting | psyBNC/sBNC/eggdrop/znc Hosting

We use PayPal and Stripe depending on the customer's choice. We utterly hate 2Checkout now.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Where are you located?

Many banks offer hosted payment gateways at very low rates.
    Andrew Wataszko - [email protected]
    Quartet Service Inc
    Cloud Services | Support Services | Technology Management Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Quartet-Andrew View Post
    Where are you located?

Many banks offer hosted payment gateways at very low rates.
    South Africa. I'll double check with my bank, but I couldn't find anything on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Woofles View Post
    South Africa. I'll double check with my bank, but I couldn't find anything on their site.
    Double check. If you have a business account with them, they most likely have an entire department that deals with e-commerce that can help you.

Paypal is a great gateway but it sucks having to deal with a company so far away. When you work with a local bank, its their butt on the line when it comes to dealing with the actual gateway provider as they own the relationship.
    Andrew Wataszko - [email protected]
    Quartet Service Inc
    Cloud Services | Support Services | Technology Management Programs

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    We use PayPal and Stripe depending on the customer's choice. We utterly hate 2Checkout now.
    Same here,and it's perfect !

About Paypal, is anybody sure that they don't show their name if you pay a pro account monthly ?

But customers still can dispute and claim ?

Thank you.

If you have business PayPal account, customers will see your company's name and yes, they can claim disputes and refunds.

I am really getting bored with these Paypal disputes for no reason, so no way that I will use their business pro BS account !

Lightbulb Re: Using PayPal for both PayPal and Credit Card payments?

Quote Originally Posted by Woofles View Post
    will PayPal process a credit card payment without requesting the user to register a PayPal account first?
    I think mostly it is not possible. I don't know. Hope you'll get the solution soon.

Ultimately what you need to provide is up to your customers and your business goals.

If your customers aren't demanding a second option or you are small still, stick with PayPal solely (I wouldn't get into the 2Co mess).

If you are worried about potential customers not loving the option, you can install Google Analytics through your checkout process to see which page is causing potential clients to bounce. If you are seeing higher then normal bounces on the payment method page, you could look at additional options. Keep in mind many times the payment page has a higher then normal bounce rate because people have to finally have to enter their information.
    Synersis Media | Boutique Technology Marketing Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Tom, View Post

Isn't this PayPal Pro account available to businesses of just US and UK? OP is based in South Africa.

I don't know why companies just use PayPal for CC & PayPal ?

Quote Originally Posted by LankapartnerHost View Post
    I would not accept 2co or paypal for such amount.

well i most to say dont do all in one basket Paypal is paypal and credit card go for another merchant.

we accepting credit cards only on our website but we have 2 merchant accounts from 2 different banks/companies we have the primary that we use and we have a backup one from braintree in case we not doing braintree as primary because the fees to high oh and dont go with braintree and think everything is ok because its sub company of paypal

Quote Originally Posted by doserverscom View Post
    dont go with braintree and think everything is ok because its sub company of paypal
    I always thought they were associated with Wells Fargo Bank, not PayPal.
    There's no such thing as an unmanaged server - It's actually self-managed. Worth remembering next time you're looking for someone to complain to.
    DATA VALUATION SERVICE: Your data's value is linked directly to your backup strategy. If YOU don't have your own backups then YOU value your data at ZERO. So why should anyone else care when you lose it?

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    I always thought they were associated with Wells Fargo Bank, not PayPal.
    Well i know Paypal bought them few days ago i called paypal about merchant account and they told me braintree its paypal company

If your audience is from South Africa, go for a local payment gateway like NetCash, Payza or PayGate. If you've a ZA merchant account, these payment gateway will also accept debit cards issued from your local banks. Apart from this, they will also support net banking for your clients. You cannot have all these capabilities from PAYPAL or 2CO.

If you're going for PAYPAL exclusively, there should be not any issue accepting credit card payments. However, we've observed so many clients willing to pay through credit cards but they don't want to go by PAYPAL channel.

If you have a PayPal merchant account, in your settings you may indicate to accept credit card payments without the client having to have a PayPal account. It is still advisable to have an additional payment method. We use to use Google but things changed there drastically so we went with Stripe. (We did try Braintree for a while because it was recommended by Google, but never again)
    "To see is to see a better way, to perceive any problem clearly is to begin to create its solution. All we need is the wisdom and patience to keep looking and the love to hold what we see up to the light of understanding." ---Laurence Boldt
    F.D.W. Hosting Co.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumVPS View Post
    If your audience is from South Africa, go for a local payment gateway like NetCash, Payza or PayGate.
    I heard Payza lost their CC processing again and may relaunch for a 3rd time under a new name - be aware!
    Performance Card Service, Ltd
    ***Global Payments Experts***
    www.performancecardservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by doserverscom View Post
    Well i know Paypal bought them few days ago i called paypal about merchant account and they told me braintree its paypal company
    This is correct, a friend of mine works for Braintree - he confirmed that Paypal bought them out back in November.

Quote Originally Posted by ninak View Post
    If you have a PayPal merchant account, in your settings you may indicate to accept credit card payments without the client having to have a PayPal account. It is still advisable to have an additional payment method. We use to use Google but things changed there drastically so we went with Stripe. (We did try Braintree for a while because it was recommended by Google, but never again)

Settings ot not Paypal often prefers to push people to opem an account...

Get a real merchant account from an actual bank and setup Authorize.Net. If you can't get approved for an actual merchant account, should you really be running a business?

Quote Originally Posted by Fixago View Post
    Get a real merchant account from an actual bank and setup Authorize.Net. If you can't get approved for an actual merchant account, should you really be running a business?

I hear what your saying and agree that an account connected to a gateway like authnet is ideal.. but sometimes its not an option. This is not always because a merchant has bad credit or is on TMF. Sometimes is just the card associations pressuring banks to no longer support certain business types or method of sales. Just because a guy running a clean business can no longer get approval from a large PSP/MSP, doesn't always mean he should shut it down. Sometimes building history with a 'lesser' processor can assist in the future in applying to a more mainstream option.

Moral of the story: don't give up!