How to calculate costs?

Hello,

When you have a site and dont know what kind of hostingtype top choose what is best advice you can give. Why i ask this :

Well, I am gonna set up a website but i dont know how many visitors i am going to have. So imagine i take a package of 50dollar/month hosting...how far will i get with such package?

Another reason why i ask this is because i need to know how much to ask my clients...just trying to secure myself if to much bandwith etc will come at my bill. I have the idea but am total noob in hosting and all those things...

If i ask people to pay for example 1$ a month but through different circumstances it maybe will cost me 10$ for each client. Thats something i really dont wanna.

Tips are welcome.

How far you will get with a $50 package depends on many factors, including:

1) The resources provided with that package
    2) What the web site will be doing (type of content, databases, file serving, etc)

One way to work this is to ease into it. Buy a smaller package/VPS/Cloud Server and grow it as your resource utilization warrants.
    Tim Benoit

A good site with the same use would be something like bandcamp.com
    I cant belief this runs on a 50$ budget. Or is it?

I wouldn't know how busy that site is nor the full technology behind operating the site. Depending on usage it could be hosted on a simple shared hosting plan.

I would recommend easing into the hosting architecture. Maybe start with Shared Hosting and move to a Cloud Server when your site's resource usage deems it necessary (when it starts performing poorly and/or your shared hosting provider notifies you that your site is using too many resources).
    Tim Benoit

Quote Originally Posted by sparkling View Post
    A good site with the same use would be something like bandcamp.com
    I cant belief this runs on a 50$ budget. Or is it?
    A site like bandcamp.com costs a bit more than $50 to run. They are more likely in the thousands. They most likely take a cut of each sale to recover costs. They store a lot of data and move a lot of media around. Keep in mind its the resources they use that brings the cost up, not the actual idea of the site.

Your question is a loaded one....

What type of content will you be hosting? Let's keep it simple. Lets say you have a single page that is 100KB with 1000 visitors. Very little bandwidth is required for such setup. However, if you are hosting a website with 1GB media files, its a totally different story.

I'm guessing you are starting some type of service website and you plan to charge your customers to cover your cost. For starters, you need to figure out:
    1. How many new customers will you bring on per day/month/year. You are going to be guessing on this one. Make a good estimate. You are not going to go from 0 to 10000 in one day.
    2. How much disk space the "average" user will use. Remember, its the average user. Some will use less, some more.
    3. How much bandwidth on average" each user will use. Once you have the above, you can get this number pretty easily.

Once you have a clear idea of the above, from there you can find a package that fits your requirements.
    Andrew Wataszko - [email protected]
    Quartet Service Inc
    Cloud Services | Support Services | Technology Management Programs

To decrease space. Is there a place where you can store pictures (in a quality way) for free like youtube?

Why? The site will upload pictures. When a picture is 1mb and they upload 5 its 5mb. So i need to figure out a way to get the pictures people upload to make them as little as possible (in a guality way) off course.

Thx
    Last edited by sparkling; 01-05-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkling View Post
    To decrease space. Is there a place where you can store pictures (in a quality way) for free like youtube?

Why? The site will upload pictures. When a picture is 1mb and they upload 5 its 5mb. So i need to figure out a way to get the pictures people upload to make them as little as possible (in a guality way) off course.

Thx
    Are you trying to start a web hosting service or are you simply talking about a particular website you are trying to build?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

What type of hosting is in fact needed for a site as bandcamp.com? It creates seperate accounts for people, you can put pictures on the site...

Any tips are very welcome...

or other good example is magnatune.com

It seems like you need some type of media content management system.

http://mediadrop.net
    http://www.razuna.org
    Andrew Wataszko - [email protected]
    Quartet Service Inc
    Cloud Services | Support Services | Technology Management Programs

It's unclear whether you simply need to host your own site or you are considering to start a business as a reseller, but I am assuming that the latter is what you are up to.

It's very hard to know what type of hosting you may need. Consider that different hosts may give you different packages for the same price, so while host number 1 may allow you 10 clients with 100 visits per day each for $50, host number 2 may let you have 20 clients with 30 visitors per day.

If I were in your shoes I would look for a package that would allow me to upgrade easily and start with the smallest package available. That way you will save money too. When you or your clients will have maxed out your resources, your host will notify you and you will be given an option to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Burlo View Post
    It's unclear whether you simply need to host your own site or you are considering to start a business as a reseller, but I am assuming that the latter is what you are up to.

It's very hard to know what type of hosting you may need. Consider that different hosts may give you different packages for the same price, so while host number 1 may allow you 10 clients with 100 visits per day each for $50, host number 2 may let you have 20 clients with 30 visitors per day.

If I were in your shoes I would look for a package that would allow me to upgrade easily and start with the smallest package available. That way you will save money too. When you or your clients will have maxed out your resources, your host will notify you and you will be given an option to upgrade.
    Totally agree.

For a new website my limit is $5/m, later you can upgrade your package or move to a vps or dedicated.
    Want cheap Facebook Likes or RDP(Remote Desktop 1Gbps)? PM
    or search for my threads in the Advertising Forums
    Demo available for both services

Why not buy a reseller package initially? In this you will be allowed to create custom accounts for your clients and you can charge them accordingly. This would cost you somewhere around $12-$18/month. The limit can be on certain resource like hard disk space and all. Well, that if you grow well I am sure you can afford to expand it. Take an example like you are charged $20/month and given around 50GB of space. So ideally you can divide 50/20 = 2.5/GB/month. So suppose you give 2GB of space to you client so you can charge him around $5. Remember this is just an example and not the actual rates. For details you can directly contact the provider's sales team and I am sure they will guide you in a better way.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

Ok I got you!
    I read all the posts and i believe I managed to understand what you need.
    You are building a website, where you would like your users to be able to register and upload media (music or pictures or whatever the niche). Than share and interact and so on. Like bandcamp.

Chances are - it will take you time to get the site as to what you want it to be. It will take time for people to start signing-up and interacting with the website. It will take time to get a number of users high enough that you will need special powerful hosting.

What you should do now is start with a standard shared hosting account ($3-$5 a month) and upgrade it when the time comes. Most good providers allow that. In fact, you should be able to do it by yourself from your control panel.

So - start small, see how it works for you and expand your hosting as you grow.

Good luck!

Ok. thanks. What is in this case a good price/value hosting provider?