I've been with Dreamhost since 2005. I run a very small web site talking about an HOA. Through out the years, I've used this site as a place to put important files, my own version of carbonite if you will. I've uploaded my pictures and music files. This was never an issue, until this week.

Now I get an e-mail listing a bunch of my directories saying they need to be removed, in a matter of days. I responded to the message. They wrote back saying they'll work with me.

In the 1st e-mail they sent me, they mentioned cloud storage they have. What a coincidence. It's 4 cents per gig per month. For me, this would be about $20 a month, because I have 500 gigs in their server right now.

--------------------
With the exception of DreamHost Dedicated Server products, the customer agrees to make use of DreamHost Web Hosting servers primarily for the purpose of hosting a website, and associated email functions. Data uploaded must be primarily for this purpose. DreamHost Web Hosting servers are not intended as a data backup or archiving service. DreamHost Web Hosting reserves the right to negotiate additional charges with the Customer and/or the discontinuation of the backups/archives at their discretion.

Again, let me know a specific time frame and I'll work with you on that.
As for a limit - there is no minimum nor maximum limit so long as your
content violates our policies.

---------------------------------------
So they never said anything for 9 years, now they introduce cloud storage, and suddenly I'm getting a nasty e-mail from an admin telling me to blow away all my data.

It took me months to upload all my important data, and I'm sure the TOS didn't say anything about this back in 2005 when they were bragging about "Unlimited" data.

So to all reading this, if you're using your web host as a place to back up important files that are not linked, that day is over. You'll have to link all your files to a web page, which could be a loop hole.

When I mentioned this, the admin said give me examples and I'll see what I can do. I'm totally bummed about this.