WiredTree VPS outage

Dear all,
    I have a VPS1000 with WiredTree for over a year now since Aug. 2011.

Today the node server was down for over 13 hours, reason: RAID fail.

They said that they have begun a Bare Metal Restore on the new server build.

Would anyone tell me... Normally, how long will the Bare Metal Restore to be completed? Is the 13+ hours of outage normal?

Thanks in advance.

You are correct, unfortunately one of VPS nodes suffered a complete failure. Our apologies for the outage. This will be covered under our SLA of course. The restore is nearly completed and the server will be back online here shortly. It is an unfortunate failure - I can count on one hand the number of times we've had an array just completely fail like this since we have been in business. This is exactly the reason we keep backups though. Again, our apologies for the failure, we're working hard to get everything back online as soon as possible and you should be up shortly.

The node my VPS is on was down as well for a considerable amount of time as well. Zac, that backup you referred to was from December 29th - just about a week old.

I did just receive an offer to attempt to restore recovered files with the potential of corrupted data. I think I'll pass and restart the weekly and incrementals up until a day before the failure.

Due to R1soft issues we had to use an older backup to get the server online initially which caused a restoration delay. However a few hours ago we did eventually manage to recover the old node to a state where we can get data off it from the time it crashed and emailed all clients on the node offering to restore the current data for them. There hasn't been any reports of corruption from the recent backups, we wanted to mentioned the possibility. Again, very sorry for the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredTree Zac View Post
    Due to R1soft issues we had to use an older backup to get the server online initially which caused a restoration delay. However a few hours ago we did eventually manage to recover the old node to a state where we can get data off it from the time it crashed and emailed all clients on the node offering to restore the current data for them. There hasn't been any reports of corruption from the recent backups, we wanted to mentioned the possibility. Again, very sorry for the issues.
    Hope I don't get into trouble for this since I'm not a WiredTree customer, but I just wanted to say - that's service right there. So many places would have just thrown in the towel and let everyone deal with a week old backup. Nice to hear you went the extra mile. +1 in my book.

--Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ObjectZone View Post
    Hope I don't get into trouble for this since I'm not a WiredTree customer, but I just wanted to say - that's service right there. So many places would have just thrown in the towel and let everyone deal with a week old backup. Nice to hear you went the extra mile. +1 in my book.

--Chris
    Yep, outages happen. Its not "if", it's "when". How the company handles it is what makes the difference between a professional company and an amateur.