Threaded View

Xen questions - PV/HVM differences

So I've been doing my research long enough now, that my eyes are pretty much just closing as I type this.

I have 3 (2 quad core, 16GB RAM) vSphere hosts at home, that host VM's which serve as my Active Directory, DHCP, and DNS servers. I have very extensive knowledge with virtualization, to the point of my VCP5-DCV. I am a complete VMware nerd, and could regurgitate everything about CPU scheduling, OR memory management. I actually knew about CPU/RAM hot-plug, while my professor was saying "Oh, you can't do it in vSphere, but Hyper-V you can." I told him you can, he turned red and said "You learn something new everyday!" He manages servers in close to all 50 states, and has a cluster of 1.51TB of RAM...and he didn't know about hot-plug.

I know people have preference for KVM, Xen PV/HVM, OpenVZ - etc. I can't decide on which to use as a VPS host hypervisor (I need the VPS for myself, but I have a few other people messaging me with interest of purchase).

So I have dedicated a vSphere machine to testing platforms. I have Proxmox, which I enjoy...OpenVZ is nice, not due to being able to oversell, but being able to have low overhead and save RAM usage for other VMs'. Basically like vSphere ballooning and transparent page sharing. I enjoy the burstable RAM feature as well. But, I feel as if I want dedicated virtual machines -- not something sharing.

So honestly, I need to first see what works for me, before doing anything.

Anyhow, I'm slightly confused about Xen... OpenVZ is nice, and it would be nice to have (I am not going to 'oversell' 48GB of RAM, with 3 VMs) but I would actually enjoy dedicated resources for my project/VPS. And, in the future, yes -- I could utilize a Windows VPS - which is why I am stuck. I could download all of the VM's (I have a Gigabit VPN to the datacenter, unlimited transfer, and 75Mbps up/down speed at home) and install something new, etc, but I want something to be permanent for now.

So my question, is Xen PV just like OpenVZ? And can I have best of both worlds, by utilizing HVM and PV (if it is like OpenVZ)? I will use SolusVM, just because it is half the price of what I put in my car of gas to endlessly drive around town, a day.

I Wish to get helpful responses, and it would mean a lot to me! Again, I did my research, so this is my final step and hopefully I don't get assaulted for creating a new thread.

EDIT:
    Now looking at another thread, KVM is straight faster than anything else - but I won't be able to use OpenVZ like containers, right?
    Last edited by rowebil; 01-04-2014 at 07:58 AM.