Getting a Public Review from Customers

Hello WHT,

Over the past few years of operation, we are quite confident that we have at least few hundreds of satisfied customers, but even then, no matter how hard we tried to please them, only a very few people (less than 1% of the satisfied customers) leaving a public review about us.

We did a few research on competitors and some of them are using a somewhat gray tactic, which is rewarding customers that leave reviews on their blog or any public forum with money or service credits.

What do the communities takes from this?

There are a few other considerations for doing this as well, will Google & other search engines penalize those companies since this might be considered an indirect way to buy link?

I'd not provide advise on improving communications with customers as this is a very serious thing and even if I know something, I know it about our own company. It is true that many of these who get a lot of reviews (especially cheap shared hosting providers) desperately use any kind of tricks and tactics to "get reviewed".

However, you're company is definitely not one of those! I believe that you'd not enter into the "Reviews War" and continue doing what you are doing best - managed vps and dedicated - and this will pay off. Whoever of your customers want's to review your company, that would be a bonus! It is better to focus on sales and to grow your business that way.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Hi HostColor, I agree with your advise wholeheartedly, we definitely won't go down that road and do any of those cheap tactics to get reviewed and we will keep doing our best to provide our customers with best services as always, that won't change

Continuing the discussion, are there any completely white, honest way to encourage customers for providing reviews?

(especially cheap shared hosting providers)
    You might be surprised to know that there are (or at least there is 1 that I know of) big boys in the industries who did this is as well, not just the "cheap, everything-unlimited shared hosting" providers.

This is one of the worst things you can possibly do. When people find out what's been happening (which they will), you will look like a fool and loose signups. Of course I'm not stating you or anyone in this thread does that, just mentioning this since I feel it's important.

We personally don't encourage/endorse reviews at all. I'm frankly not worried if we don't get good reviews. Keeping existing customers happy has and always will remain our number 1 priority.

My best advice to anyone with such a question would be to continue providing good services, with helpful and accurate support - you don't need ~5 minute email/ticket response times, high quality support is much better in my view. People will make reviews overtime. Answer a ticket well, answer it once. Answer it badly, answer it twice or more.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxIntense View Post
    which is rewarding customers that leave reviews on their blog or any public forum with money or service credits

Getting reviews from customers is no different then finding an amazing date to hit all those Hosting Con parties with. You just have to ask. No gimmicks, No tricks. Provide a great service, be personable and ask.

While I wouldn't focus having my customers who I asked to post on WHT because of the competition many hosting directories will provide a competitor free zone link or you could use something like Shopper Approved.
    Synersis Media | Boutique Technology Marketing Agency

What you said BoxIntense is a bribe. You are literally giving money to someone, who will write nice things about you. That is surely not the way to go. We get a lot of new orders from our existing clients, or if they run out of cash, we see them back with us in a couple of months. So I would really focus on your service quality, more than some reviews on the internet. If customer is really satisfied, he/she will certainly leave some review on the internet.
    BeltHosting.com Staff. Shared Web Hosting | Reseller Web Hosting | IRCD Hosting | psyBNC/sBNC/eggdrop/znc Hosting
    xShellz Linux Shell & IRCD Hosting.
    24/7 Live & Ticket Support

Quote Originally Posted by BoxIntense View Post

Continuing the discussion, are there any completely white, honest way to encourage customers for providing reviews?
    Only one natural way as I see it - just make sure your customers are happy. Its not such a rare occasion for a customer to express gratitude and delight with the quality service he found. Sometimes they even ask about ways to praise a certain representative of service. In this natural conversation you can always mention a certain review site or the company's own Feedback/Review page as a mean for doing that. Happy campers are always more willing to spare a couple of minutes to share their delight
    www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
    Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.

@BoxIntense

There is no such thing as grey tactic so long as you deliver what you promised. In this extremely competitive environment, your fellow competitors are the last advisers you need.

Obviously you need to advertise, advertise and advertise more and if paying satisfied customers will help you out, then do it. Potential customers need to know your brand.

Many customers blogs out there write bias reviews but they do disclose their affiliation - so nothing is false and fake. It will only become false and fake if and only if - again - you do not delivers what was promised in those advertisements to your new customers.

Bottom line is, everything is OK so long as you do not deceive anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    I'd not provide advise on improving communications with customers as this is a very serious thing and even if I know something, I know it about our own company. It is true that many of these who get a lot of reviews (especially cheap shared hosting providers) desperately use any kind of tricks and tactics to "get reviewed".

However, you're company is definitely not one of those! I believe that you'd not enter into the "Reviews War" and continue doing what you are doing best - managed vps and dedicated - and this will pay off. Whoever of your customers want's to review your company, that would be a bonus! It is better to focus on sales and to grow your business that way.
    Cannot agree more. Normally review wars are paid reviews and you cannot fight them. May be more than 90% of the review sites are hosting affiliates trying to make good chunk of money.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

We generally have a very good relationship with our customers. Each customer is assigned an account manager. We are a full managed service provider but we do have a lot of web hosting customers only and they are treated the same. Keeping a good channel of communication open makes it really easy to ask customers for feedback. We generally have a template with a few questions like "What service/product has helped your organization the most?". If you weed out all the problems with normal support, only the good points will come out in these feedback sessions.
    Andrew Wataszko - [email protected]
    Quartet Service Inc
    Cloud Services | Support Services | Technology Management Programs

Many web hosts do this today and it's the only way of them getting good reviews. You can try this out it may work and some of your clients may go with it and write you a review. You can offer them things like coupons or deals for their next due invoice it's up to you how to market and control your company and the way they preform tasks .

You might considering another approach and simply make an online review part of the business process. Perhaps after a new customer sign ups or after an invoice is paid or some other customer interaction "event", have an easy to fill out form setup for them to fill out and post a review. Something along those lines. I.e. make it a very easy, no brainer process for someone to post a review and incorporate into the "flow" of whatever else they are doing with you at the time.

And let them know that you would greatly appreciate if they would just take a quick minute to do it. That your business is dependent on positive word of mouth and that it makes a difference. I do think you want to avoid doing something that really smells like outright "bribery" - eventually it will backfire and reduce the credibility of even the most legitimate reviews that customers post. Just my two cents.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

I don't think there's anything wrong with directing clients to review portals, but definitely not providing incentive or actually asking the client to write a review.

For me, if they want to write a review that's fine - and it's nice to get public recognition but I'm not interested in them really and they don't really affect our business. In fact the datacenter branch I've used for 3/4 years now wasn't well reviewed when I was searching, but I've used most of the established DC's in this market and haven't yet found better.