View Poll Results: Which hosting would you pick for my needs?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • CrocWeb

4 28.57%
  • HawkHost

1 7.14%
  • StableHost

3 21.43%
  • Site5

1 7.14%
  • MDDHosting

1 7.14%
  • Veerotech

1 7.14%
  • DigitalOcean

0 0%
  • RamNode

3 21.43%

Need some help deciding between these hosts & VPSes for my WordPress site!

Hi again,

So I narrowed down my hosting choices to these. I was using a domain and hosting from NameCheap and had speed problems. While they did fix it, I still found it to be a bit slow, and I'd like to try a different host anyway (I'll still use you as a registrar though, if you're monitoring this!)

Some things that might be important to know, if they matter:
    • Most traffic will be from Canada (west)
    • Website will use a premium WordPress theme
    • There won't be much traffic (sorry, can't really provide an estimate)
    • Speed matters
    • Price sort of matters - preferrably less than $40 (I'll be looking for coupons)

There's obviously some variation in pricing, but I think at this point any of them would be a solid choice - what do you think, and why?

• CrocWeb ($2.95)
    • HawkHost ($3.29)
    • StableHost ($3.95)
    • Site5 ($5.95)
    • MDDHosting ($6.38)
    • VeeroTech ($6.99)

I've also heard good things about DigitalOcean and RamNode.

They seem pretty cheap and they're apparently very fast, but for what reasons would I choose one of these over regular shared hosting besides quick scaling? I also don't have any experience managing a VPS, but if it isn't difficult, I wouldn't mind learning if it's worth it.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for checking us out! Managing your own VPS can be very rewarding if you're willing to put the time into it.
    RamNode - #1 SSD VPS
    High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - 1Gbps - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Get your super fast VPS today! - www.ramnode.com
      0 Not allowed!

For a new website, you should start with shared hosting. Once your website has grown enough, upgrade to VPS.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials
      0 Not allowed!

Managing a vps is not a big task in today's life. Control panels are son advanced that most of the things can be controlled over a click, for other details you can always contact your providers.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rear View Post
    Hi again,

So I narrowed down my hosting choices to these. I was using a domain and hosting from NameCheap and had speed problems. While they did fix it, I still found it to be a bit slow, and I'd like to try a different host anyway (I'll still use you as a registrar though, if you're monitoring this!)
    We are monitoring this. And I'd love to hear more on the speed problems you encountered and a chance to look at this for you. Like almost every other potential you identify, we use CloudLinux so I'm wondering if you hit some resource caps within this. Ours are quite generous but I'd still like to look into what happened.

[email protected] goes directly to my team and I.

Have a good 2014,
    Matt
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, I'd suggest using shared web hosting until you really begin to receive a lot of visitors. I'd suggest also looking for smaller web hosts, often ones that don't have a lot of clients can be fast and responsive.
      1 Not allowed!

I voted for MDDHosting, top notch.

But important to mention most of the providers there are known for Shared Hosting. And the ones that are truly known for VPS services are unmanaged like RamNode and Digital Ocean.

And even more important you stated that you dont have experience managing a VPS. Being sincere, skip the trouble, VPS management can be frustrating for non experienced users (at least in the field of Linux Admin). So considering that I'll give you a new list, all of them with Premium VPS management and I'm pretty sure that 90% of the forum will agree with me :

Wired Tree
    Known Host
    Big Scoots
    Future Hosting
    Host Dime
    Liquid Web
    tmzVPS
    Linode (with the new Managed Service)
    JoneSolutions
    SolaDrive
      0 Not allowed!

In my opinion if you can afford to pay for a VPS and have the ability to manage it or find a good managed VPS it is much better then shared. VPS you have the ability to install things such as APC / xCache / other caching. If speed matters then go for a good geo location and some sort of caching. Shared hosting in my opinion has almost never delivered to its fullest because most hosts overload the servers or few clients are always dragging down the servers. It does happen in VPS setup as well but the impact is much less if the host knows what they are doing.
    Jumpto Media | Your Technology Experts!
    ■ Experts in setting up, configuring, securing, and managing Linux & Windows servers.
    ■ Experts with almost all control panels, scripts, apps, and softwares.
    ■ Experts Guaranteed Work.
      1 Not allowed!

Hi again,

Some things that might be important to know, if they matter:
    • Most traffic will be from Canada (west)
    • Website will use a premium WordPress theme
    • There won't be much traffic (sorry, can't really provide an estimate)
    • Speed matters
    • Price sort of matters - preferrably less than $40 (I'll be looking for coupons)

There's obviously some variation in pricing, but I think at this point any of them would be a solid choice - what do you think, and why?

• CrocWeb ($2.95)
    • HawkHost ($3.29)
    • StableHost ($3.95)
    • Site5 ($5.95)
    • MDDHosting ($6.38)
    • VeeroTech ($6.99)

I've also heard good things about DigitalOcean and RamNode.

They seem pretty cheap and they're apparently very fast, but for what reasons would I choose one of these over regular shared hosting besides quick scaling? I also don't have any experience managing a VPS, but if it isn't difficult, I wouldn't mind learning if it's worth it.
    Hi there,

Glad to see us on that list.

First, from what you describe, I'd recommend starting with shared hosting, NOT a VPS. Just because you have the budget for it, doesn't mean you should get it. There's a lot more involved than just building the server & putting some sites on it. It also seems to be a trending theme now for "ah, just get a VPS!".

The pricing will vary from provider to provider based on the environments; service quality, features included, software etc.

Location isn't a huge factor here, as the majority of North America as a whole has pretty good connectivity.

Aside from "not much traffic & a Wordpress theme", what other info can you give on the site?

• What type of content is on the site?
    • Is it image heavy?
    • What plugins are you currently running?
    • Could you share the vendor of the theme?
    • Are there any problems you're facing now?
    • What are your future plans with the site?
    • Do you plan to add more websites down the road?

If you can give some more details in regards to the questions above, it would be helpful.

-Brent
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the responses. I'm not exclusively looking at getting a VPS - I only mentioned DigitalOcean and RamNode after hearing positive reviews about the speed and price.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    We are monitoring this. And I'd love to hear more on the speed problems you encountered and a chance to look at this for you. Like almost every other potential you identify, we use CloudLinux so I'm wondering if you hit some resource caps within this. Ours are quite generous but I'd still like to look into what happened.

[email protected] goes directly to my team and I.

Have a good 2014,
    Matt
    Hi Matt, I did have you and a few other people look at the issue. There were different people getting involved so it was a bit hard to communicate. I don't think any caps were hit since I stopped using the site. Right now I plan to purchase a new domain and hosting since both have expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    Hi there,

Glad to see us on that list.

First, from what you describe, I'd recommend starting with shared hosting, NOT a VPS. Just because you have the budget for it, doesn't mean you should get it. There's a lot more involved than just building the server & putting some sites on it. It also seems to be a trending theme now for "ah, just get a VPS!".

The pricing will vary from provider to provider based on the environments; service quality, features included, software etc.

Location isn't a huge factor here, as the majority of North America as a whole has pretty good connectivity.

Aside from "not much traffic & a Wordpress theme", what other info can you give on the site?

• What type of content is on the site?
    • Is it image heavy?
    • What plugins are you currently running?
    • Could you share the vendor of the theme?
    • Are there any problems you're facing now?
    • What are your future plans with the site?
    • Do you plan to add more websites down the road?

If you can give some more details in regards to the questions above, it would be helpful.

-Brent
    Hey Brent,

Content: text & images
    Image heavy: No (as in no image galleries)
    Plugins: Not sure just yet, but I'll probably use W3 Total Cache, Google Analytics, Gravity Forms or Contact Form 7, maybe a slider.
    Vendor: Haven't decided yet, but planning on getting one from ThemeForest from one of the elite authors. Any specific vendors authors you recommend or don't recommend?
    Problems: I had page speed problems previously.
    Plans: It'll be a website for a business. I plan to blog and actively use social media, but I don't think there will be huge amounts of traffic unless I'm somehow underestimating myself.
    More Websites: No
      0 Not allowed!

All of the providers you listed have a very good rep so doubt you'll have issues with any of them.
      0 Not allowed!

It's rare, but sometimes I get a 408 error with namecheap shared servers and I have experienced speed problems too but that was months ago.

Answers here will help me too because I'm lloking for a cheap VPS hosting too. Like you, I've also heard good things about DigitalOcean and RamNode.
    Last edited by j404; 01-05-2014 at 11:15 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the responses. I'm not exclusively looking at getting a VPS - I only mentioned DigitalOcean and RamNode after hearing positive reviews about the speed and price.

Hi Matt, I did have you and a few other people look at the issue. There were different people getting involved so it was a bit hard to communicate. I don't think any caps were hit since I stopped using the site. Right now I plan to purchase a new domain and hosting since both have expired.

Hey Brent,

Content: text & images
    Image heavy: No (as in no image galleries)
    Plugins: Not sure just yet, but I'll probably use W3 Total Cache, Google Analytics, Gravity Forms or Contact Form 7, maybe a slider.
    Vendor: Haven't decided yet, but planning on getting one from ThemeForest from one of the elite authors. Any specific vendors authors you recommend or don't recommend?
    Problems: I had page speed problems previously.
    Plans: It'll be a website for a business. I plan to blog and actively use social media, but I don't think there will be huge amounts of traffic unless I'm somehow underestimating myself.
    More Websites: No
    Nothing out of the ordinary here and seems like a shared plan would be fine for you. I can't recommend a specific theme vendor however, some themes on theme forest are really bloated, so choose wisely. Be sure to test drive the theme thoroughly before buying it. I think you'd be fine with any of the hosts you listed.
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt
      1 Not allowed!

Don't lose time learning to how to set up a VPS if you don't really need one, just pick a good shared hosting

Crocweb could be the one coz "traffic will be from Canada (west)"...
    Want cheap Facebook Likes or RDP(Remote Desktop 1Gbps)? PM
    or search for my threads in the Advertising Forums
    Demo available for both services
      0 Not allowed!

There's a world of difference between an unmanaged VPS and a shared hosting plan. With the VPS you get full control over everything, but along with that comes total responsibility for anything that can go wrong except hardware and network. So if you're a bit of a control freak (in the nicest possible way!), and you want to learn to manage a server then go with a VPS. To me, it's absolutely worth it but I wouldn't say it's easy or a particularly quick learning process.

If you don't believe that, take a look through this forum and find the cries for help from others having difficulty with their unmanaged VPS. Imagine yourself in their position - would you know how to fix the problem?

OTOH if you just want an easy time running a website and not worrying about anything else, go with a quality shared plan. It looks like you have a reasonable list. Ultimately it's a decision only you can make - no-one else can know what's right for you.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter
      1 Not allowed!

Thanks for the responses!

I guess I'll stick with shared hosting for now and base my decision on price after factoring in coupons (if available).
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post
    I voted for MDDHosting, top notch.

But important to mention most of the providers there are known for Shared Hosting. And the ones that are truly known for VPS services are unmanaged like RamNode and Digital Ocean.

And even more important you stated that you dont have experience managing a VPS. Being sincere, skip the trouble, VPS management can be frustrating for non experienced users (at least in the field of Linux Admin). So considering that I'll give you a new list, all of them with Premium VPS management and I'm pretty sure that 90% of the forum will agree with me :

Wired Tree
    Known Host
    Big Scoots
    Future Hosting
    Host Dime
    Liquid Web
    tmzVPS
    Linode (with the new Managed Service)
    JoneSolutions
    SolaDrive
    I have to agree. Except I would stay away from Jones. Go with Wiredtree I have been with them for awhile and they are seriously the best managed service I have ever dealt with.
    LiquidVPN Inc. has 40+ Gigabit VPN Servers in 10 Countries - Custom VPN Software
    OpenVPN, SSTP, L2TP and PPTP Connections - Modulating IP, Shared IP, and Public IP VPN Topologies - No Logs & P2P Restrictions - Private SmartDNS
    All Plans Include 7 Day 100% Refund Policy Try LiquidVPN Today
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have to agree. Except I would stay away from Jones. Go with Wiredtree I have been with them for awhile and they are seriously the best managed service I have ever dealt with.
    Yup, you can't please everyone especially if you do not know how to fix your script by putting a lot of plugins...

Of course, it was fixed when you change Apache to Litespeed. Definitely will decrease load :-)

Oh, this was last year? Wow, can't move on Dave even with the refunded money? Sad :-(

FYI, we have many clients using our KVM VPS and they have no problem with our service :-)
    Last edited by net; 01-14-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001
      0 Not allowed!