FDCservers 10Gbit unmetered - NL

Does anyone have any experience with their Amsterdam, NL location? I'm considering a 10Gbit unmetered server, and am just wondering if anyone has experience with this. I.e how much should I expect to be able to push? At least 1Gbit?

I'd imagine 1 Gigabit bare minimum. No experience with them. But I'm sure others will comment. That sounds promising might check it out now.
    OCOSA Communications | Since 2003
    http://www.ocosa.com
    Hosting, Connectivity, Professional Services

I dunno, I personally think (from experience with them) that if they offer a 10Gbps connection you'll be able to use the full pipe if you open multiple streams/etc and really try: I just think they have enough connectivity for the usage to go up 10Gbps on a port and they not care... Furthermore, I expect them to allow it to happen and them not complain for the sake of providing what they advertise I've never had a 10Gbps server with them... I'd end up only using a few hundred GB/mo per 1Gbps server and I could max the pipe up if I tried (specifically for testing) ... it'd let me... One of the few American service providers I have been able to prepay long periods with confidence (and get a tiny discount, yay): reliable/simple/honest billing.

Quote Originally Posted by netdude View Post
    I dunno, I personally think (from experience with them) that if they offer a 10Gbps connection you'll be able to use the full pipe if you open multiple streams/etc and really try: I just think they have enough connectivity for the usage to go up 10Gbps on a port and they not care... Furthermore, I expect them to allow it to happen and them not complain for the sake of providing what they advertise I've never had a 10Gbps server with them... I'd end up only using a few hundred GB/mo per 1Gbps server and I could max the pipe up if I tried (specifically for testing) ... it'd let me... One of the few American service providers I have been able to prepay long periods with confidence (and get a tiny discount, yay): reliable/simple/honest billing.
    I guess it's possible, but maybe you were on 1Gbit dedicated bandwidth?

I don't expect to be able to use the full 10Gbit, however being able to use at least 1Gbit and being able to burst further would be ideal.

Tried it for a few months about a year ago. Managed to push about 50 KB/s per thread during peak hours. They may have improved since then, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence.

IIRC gabe ramuglia from IOflood used one of them and managed to max it at 2.5gigs.
    I ask myself if the atrato yhing has caused any damage to the network

Make sure you read the TOS before you sign up. I'm sure they is some sort of limit in place for the price you will be paying.

FDC Servers suck. They're company uses the crappiest bandwidth around. I would not suggest going through them.

The above is not fair, they are a good company with good support and very good prices.

As for bandwidth on 10gbit in Amsterdam, I used to get 1500 mbit without issues which is what they advertised as and what i was told to expect.

last few days its hard to go above 1000 mbit (per connection speeds are slow), hopefully that pass.

Interestingly enough one of the 1gbit servers which are meant to average 300 mbit outbound has been doing 500mbit last few days, I suppose it depends on who your neighbours are, and I think they have two different networks there since I was moved before due to issues with Cogent and their routing.

I don't think you will be able to use the 10Gbps at full port-speed nor use more than 2-3Gbps for a whole month at full port-speed.
    Those servers sell like $500 /mo and it would not even cover the costs of bandwith not to mention hardware costs and everything else included.

You do get a 10Gbps port linked to a 10Gbps Swich-port but that's all , doesn't say you get 10Gbps dedicated bandwith.

Read carefully TOS before purchasing for any video/voice services or anything that requires huge bandwith usage over long time periods.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJP View Post
    I don't think you will be able to use the 10Gbps at full port-speed nor use more than 2-3Gbps for a whole month at full port-speed.
    Those servers sell like $500 /mo and it would not even cover the costs of bandwith not to mention hardware costs and everything else included.

You do get a 10Gbps port linked to a 10Gbps Swich-port but that's all , doesn't say you get 10Gbps dedicated bandwith.

Read carefully TOS before purchasing for any video/voice services or anything that requires huge bandwith usage over long time periods.
    I understand this and that's why I asked if I would be able to use at least 1Gbit and maybe bursting to 2-3 - I'm looking for people with actual experiences with FDC here, because I already know I'm not going to be able to use the full 10Gbit port

Quote Originally Posted by jasdavids22 View Post
    FDC Servers suck. They're company uses the crappiest bandwidth around. I would not suggest going through them.
    +1

Used to have server with them at Chicago and Denver. Both locations had major issues and once I moved to Choopa and Internap never looked back. I would suggest find something else.

Still considering this, but we may go with Swiftway who currently has a promo for 2Gbit bandwidth (guaranteed) for $650 - Compared to $400 for 10Gbit with FDC. I think the extra would be worth it just to be guaranteed 2Gbit. However Swiftway also has costs for remote hands, while FDC is free.

is impossible use 10GB dedicated , but this help in ddos attacks

Quote Originally Posted by jasdavids22 View Post
    Care to elaborate? FDC has a great rep on WHT from my observation. Did you have a bad experience? It's not really fair to simply suggest "They suck"
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

Quote Originally Posted by Jmax View Post
    Care to elaborate? FDC has a great rep on WHT from my observation. Did you have a bad experience? It's not really fair to simply suggest "They suck"
    To contribute a bit of history, FDCServers used to have an awesome reputation around here, and their representative was very active in getting any issues resolved. It changed after the Half-Year Hell back in 2010, which had repeated large-scale outages lasting hours and days with little to no communication. Their representative more or less stopped posting back then (though I have seen him make a handful of posts), and their reputation really never recovered. While it is more than three years ago, the severity of the outages and overall lack of information probably lingers with everyone who used them back then.

Though in my experience, their network is indeed horribly oversold. I tried several of their locations while I was a customer (notably Chicago, Zlin and Amsterdam), and depending how lucky you were with your neighbors on the switch, peak hours did tend to slow to a crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by aeris View Post
    To contribute a bit of history, FDCServers used to have an awesome reputation around here, and their representative was very active in getting any issues resolved. It changed after the Half-Year Hell back in 2010, which had repeated large-scale outages lasting hours and days with little to no communication. Their representative more or less stopped posting back then (though I have seen him make a handful of posts), and their reputation really never recovered. While it is more than three years ago, the severity of the outages and overall lack of information probably lingers with everyone who used them back then.

Though in my experience, their network is indeed horribly oversold. I tried several of their locations while I was a customer (notably Chicago, Zlin and Amsterdam), and depending how lucky you were with your neighbors on the switch, peak hours did tend to slow to a crawl.
    Well,
    That answers my question. Thanks for the insight.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

There are a few use cases where FDC Servers makes a lot of sense. It you are doing tons of bandwidth, but in an application where high uptime and some congestion and outages here and there is ok, without needing to much CPU, that is great. Examples of this include free video / audio streaming (or file sharing) websites, where people are ok with the site going down since it is free and you make your money of banner ads. Or you even upsell them the same exact product but $10/month or whatever for super high resolution on a high availability / non - congested network.

In those cases, if you go with FDC, you may save 50% or more money in return for losing only 5% of your customers so it is easily worth it.

That being said, for the vast majority of applications you should go with someone else. Video gaming, commercial (b2b) apps, banking, ecommerce, high-end customer web sites etc all need a much more reliable network since you otherwise will lose too many customers when the congestion and outages are in effect.

We have their 10gbit servers for few months. Pushing around 1.5-2.5 gbit isn't a problem so far. We haven't tried pushing more than that though.

Quote Originally Posted by chennaihomie View Post
    We have their 10gbit servers for few months. Pushing around 1.5-2.5 gbit isn't a problem so far. We haven't tried pushing more than that though.
    Great, thank you. This was exactly what I was looking for. Were you in their NL location or US?

Currently using NL location.

You do understand that bandwidth doesn't have to cost anything, right? (aka peering) That companies like Google are offering 1Gbps fiber connections to the home for $70/mo, right? I wouldn't expect ANY provider to give "dedicated" bandwidth unless specifically charging for that, but answer me this: if a 12 port switch has a 10Gbps uplink and 12 1000Mbps customers, are they offering a 1Gbps dedicated connection? we both know the technical answer is no, but for all practical intents and purposes: what are the odds of 12 unique servers (most likely from different customers) saturating 1Gbps at the same time (without the server owner spending the money on upgrade[s] because they'd rather have slower users than spend more on the site [what idiot would do that? why have the site?]) I expect FDCservers to ALWAYS have ample capacity available on their network to support someone saturating a pipe for a while

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJP View Post

Hows the speed on these servers?

Thanks,

Larry

as per speeds , run test based on http://lg.fdcservers.net/ , generally this is close to what you can expect on your server, expect no more than 3gbps, and peak hour crawl. If you are able to make money on all that data transfer, then better choose a different host or go for dedicated bandwidth at higher costs.

Thumbs up

I guess you're able to push about 2-3Gbps if it's 10Gbps

Kind regards,
    CloudRick

Quote Originally Posted by volt View Post
    Nukem, I feel your pain...Downtime is a true pain in the tuch! I remember when I used to consult for Web clients and was always searching for a reliable Web host....what another pain in the a--! So I decided to start operating my own Web hosting service..

I would love to talk to you about Volt Host...

I think you will find our servers very reliable for your needs. We have redundant triple T3 and multiple T1 lines directly connected to GTE (Nap.net) and UUNET's Internet backbones. Apache 1.3.4 over Red Hat Linux 5.2 (Unix) based Dual Pentium II 500mhz servers with 1GB of RAM..........

Visit: http://www.volthost.com
    Or eMail: [email protected]
    Without paying for dedicated b/w you can expect 2-3g. You may get lucky and get more but that's what you can expect.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by dfh_ie View Post
    The above is not fair, they are a good company with good support and very good prices.

As for bandwidth on 10gbit in Amsterdam, I used to get 1500 mbit without issues which is what they advertised as and what i was told to expect.

last few days its hard to go above 1000 mbit (per connection speeds are slow), hopefully that pass.

Interestingly enough one of the 1gbit servers which are meant to average 300 mbit outbound has been doing 500mbit last few days, I suppose it depends on who your neighbours are, and I think they have two different networks there since I was moved before due to issues with Cogent and their routing.
    I get the impression (may be incorrect but seems this way), that the top of rack switches for 10g are direct connected to carriers so it definitely would depend who your neighbors are. To solve congestion issues in the past has involved them moving people from one switch to another or adding links to the switch you're on. When I moved to dedicated bw they had to put all 3 of my servers on the same switch so that they could meter my pooled bw properly. To me it seemed like I was getting my own 10g cogent port right off that switch and that's why all my servers had to be on the same switch to allow for bw pooling, but I could be wrong.

Long story short, yes it matters who your neighbors are, as there appears to be congestion at the top of rack level. If performance is particularly bad they will investigate and resolve it by dealing with your 'bad neighbors'
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Seattle server is extreme slow for almost 30 days.
    check their test file.
    http://lg.seattle.fdcservers.net/100MBtest.zip