Question Managed VPS vs Reseller account?

I have read many posts on WHT and still not clear as to the most appropriate plan.

we have a couple of sites in ongoing development (1 is eCommerce) and several blogs being designed.

With a goal of being a hosting reseller as well as keeping our sites running smooth would a normal shared reseller work or a managed VPS is more for our needs?

I'm not a geek or super tech savvy, business and marketing is my focus.

I read some recommendations from users for crocweb and a few for host4geeks, inmotion seems good but expensive.

any feedback would be appreciated, I signed up with WHT to be able to communicate with this incredible community, so thank you in advance.

If you are not tech savvy or do not have adequate server administration experience I think that it would be best to go with a reseller account.

Even if the VPS is managed, there are still some risks with not knowing what to do.

With reseller, you can't change the setting in the server as the provider will control the limit in shared hosting server.

With VPS, you can change the setting per your requirements like memory, mysql setting, etc...

If you are not familiar managing a vps, you can always go for a managed vps and enjoy the benefits of VPS :-)
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Thank you greenvaluehost and net, I mentioned managed VPS but that term "managed" may be relative from provider to provider.

I know that using VPS vs shared gives us more access to the resources as in cpu and ram of the server and not as effected by what the neighbors a few bytes down are doing.

so I guess it still depends on what the host is providing in terms of service, either way we will be able to separate each domain with its own cPanel but the question remains for our situation which would be better.

if anyone can suggest based on experience a reliable host for either managed-VPS or Reseller plan I would appreciate that as well. I will go through the forum again and look up the companies, there are just so many here, WHT is huge.

Reseller:
    # If you do not have heavy websites.
    # Low budget

VPS
    # Have few heavy websites
    # Need custom settings
    # Need any particular script which is not available on shared hosting.
    # Need more control
    # Need dedicated resources
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

It also depends on your provider, the term 'managed' may slightly vary on each provider and you should always look on their terms of service or sla to know what management covers

If you go with a managed VPS, I'd suggest you a minimal knowledge of Linux platforms, if you really know nothing about Linux or WHM, you may break the system unintentionally, and even if it is a full-managed machine, it may take a few minutes (or even hours, who knows) for support to restore your VPS.

Regards and happy new year, hope it is full of blessings

As others have mentioned, the biggest difference between the two is the amount of effort needed to keep the system running in top form. The management provided with VPS services is almost always reactive rather than proactive, you'll need to keep a close eye on the server (services, logs, etc.). VPS servers are great, but it's important to allow for the increased responsibilities that come with them.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

To get a management level similar to that of a reputable reseller webhost, you'll want to look at fully managed VPSs with proactive management. This means that they'll update server software when there are vulnerability fixes, monitor the VPS 24x7 and troubleshoot issues that cause it to go down, etc. A reseller host will always do this type of proactive management because they're managing the node for many customers.

A proactive, fully-managed VPS plan will come at a cost premium compared to a comparable reseller account because it requires more dedicated management, but VPSs do have the advantages that others have mentioned in this thread.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

Thank you ravi_9793, Chris-WS and DWS2006, BrettB you make a very important point; "proactive management" of managed-VPS host is probably harder to find than a good reseller shared host plan.

The good responses from you guys are much appreciated:
    Does anyone know of a provider that is known for being proactive in managing their managed VPS clients, AND has Reseller plans?

I understand that there's a cost/service-level ratio but trying out multiple providers over a short periods to find the right one may still not provide a clear solution. If there are a couple good reliable hosts that offer both Reseller shared and "proactively" managed VPS it would make things simpler.

I think a VPS would be best suited to your sites.

I am very new to VPS hosting, have few VPS that I bought in last few months.
    However, I have reseller accounts for almost two years, and I must say there is nothing more enjoying than selling hosting from reseller account.
    I think that if you are unable to fully manage VPS yourself, you should go for reseller, and when the time is right go for dedicated server.
    Managed VPS is expensive, you will have to pay a lot more then with reseller account, and then you will have to raise prices of your hosting, or work for nothing. And even when you pay double for VPS, you still have a lot more responsibilities than you would have with reseller hosting. You will hardly be able to use benefits of VPS at this stage, if you are unable to manage it yourself

If you decide to got with a managed vps sins you do not already have any management skills what so ever then I would like to suggest beware if who you choose to be your provider and be sure they cover what you need covered. Not knowing anything dealing with a vps can be a risk for yourself getting a server because if one day something happens and your server admin is not around then you'll be able to do what their suppose to do just incase.

Reseller hosting is good and reliable depending on who you choose. It's good because it's simple and you won't have to worry about any server aspects what so ever because your upstream provider will handle it.

Overall there are baby benefits with reseller hosting just like there is with vps. In the end of the day it all depends on who you choose and what are your needs , wants and goals on how will you accomplish them .

Managed VPS will better for you cause with an vps you have root access.
    But please check offers section. This section will help you to choose your best.

Thanks, your replies are much appreciated, I received great advice on here, looks like reseller is more suited for our needs.

Quote Originally Posted by shraga View Post
    Thanks, your replies are much appreciated, I received great advice on here, looks like reseller is more suited for our needs.
    It would make more sense to try a reseller account first. Only upgrade to a VPS if you need to.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by shraga View Post
    would a normal shared reseller work or a managed VPS is more for our needs?
    Neither (or either) - you've not provided any information tat can be used to make an assessment :p

What ecommerce app or is it custom written ?
    What additional software/modules/extensions does it need ?
    Will you be taking card details and so need PCI compliance ?
    How many visitors per day, week, month ?

^ These are the sorts of details to organise a _long_ time before thinking about what kind of 'product' you buy ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

A truly Managed VPS should be akin to Reseller Hosting from a user's perspective with the added benefit of being able to setup a custom environment for their particular needs.

Always send pre-sales questions to any providers that you may be considering to see what they do and do not considered "managed" services.
    ThePrimeHost LLC - Serving Websites Since 2001.
    Fully Managed VPS Hosting w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Reseller Hosting with End User Support

u can check turnkey internet root reseller. which u will get dedicated resource with full control.
    so u don't need vps

Quote Originally Posted by xperter View Post
    u can check turnkey internet root reseller. which u will get dedicated resource with full control.
    so u don't need vps
    The TurnKey "root reseller" is a managed VPS. If you have root access to WHM and can not see the accounts of other resellers, you're not using a shared reseller account.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

The TurnKey "root reseller" is a managed VPS. If you have root access to WHM and can not see the accounts of other resellers, you're not using a shared reseller account.
    i know its manged VPS (root reseller). and its better then others resellers i have used some resellers from WHT but i am disapointed with theer service (server down, ddos and some others issue). but now i am using turnkey root reseller and now i am pretty satisfied. but one thing i dont like in turnkeyinternet which is slow support response.
    BootstrapThemes.co

A Great Collection of High quality Bootstrap Templates for your next web project