Question New cpanel backup system - no weekly option?

Hello,

Am I missing something? Does the new cpanel backup system not have the option to have weekly backups? I see daily and monthly (1st and 15th of month), but no weekly...

I suspect this must be by design, as something so obvious couldn't possibly have passed by cpanel "quality" testing, right?

What am I missing?

Thanks.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

An other alternative is to use Legacy Backup Configuration which shows Weekly backup radio button. Even if you set the retain limit of daily backups to 2, you will have the weekly backups as well.
    █ MilesWeb.com - Your Hosting, Our Responsibility!
    cPanel Hosting | Reseller Hosting | WordPress Hosting: SSD Storage & One-click Staging
    VPS Hosting - Managed & Unmanaged KVM & OpenVZ VPS | VPS Reseller
    █ Hosting Servers in [India | UK | US | Romania] - 24/7 Support | Instant Setup | Data Migration

Quote Originally Posted by MilesWeb View Post
    .. if you set the retain limit of daily backups to 2, you will have the weekly backups as well.
    It is not possible to specify more than one backup if using the "incremental" backup method.

Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

http://features.cpanel.net/responses...-of-retentions

add your vote and let cPanel knows that it is essential with backup system

Quote Originally Posted by nixtree View Post
    http://features.cpanel.net/responses...-of-retentions

add your vote and let cPanel knows that it is essential with backup system
    The fact cpanel didn't put in a weekly backup in the first place defies any kind of logic and reasoning. (Tell me I'm wrong?)

It's ridiculous that cpanel took away the weekly backup functionality in their backup system, and now forcing customers to vote on adding it back is even more ridiculous.

Its because the new backup system do not put backups inside legacy daily, weekly, monthly directories. That can be the primary reason why they cannot implement it with that ease. Hopefully they will be able to find a solution soon.

Its because the new backup system do not put backups inside legacy daily, weekly, monthly directories. That can be the primary reason why they cannot implement it with that ease. Hopefully they will be able to find a solution soon.
    The old directory structure has nothing to do with the new backup system. In our case, we have incremental backups enabled, and the "monthly" backups are created in the /backups/monthly/incremental folder... so I see no reason why weekly backups couldn't be created in a similar folder structure.

The only thing missing is the ability to actually select weekly backup dates, which I suspect was not included in the new backup system because the developers at cpanel either forgot or they couldn't figure out how to implement it so they didn't bother implementing it at all.

Is it..as per their docs, its supposed to be in /backup..there shouldn't be monthly directory. Here is the snippet from their staff update.

The new backup system does not place backup archives in "daily", "weekly", or "monthly" directories like the legacy backup system does. Instead, it uses the actual date of backup generation. EX:

/backup/2013-07-03

Is it..as per their docs, its supposed to be in /backup..there shouldn't be monthly directory. Here is the snippet from their staff update.
    I have not changed anything, and new backups system just ran backups today, as usual. I can see:

/backup/incremental/accounts
    /backup/incremental/system
    /backup/monthly/incremental/accounts
    /backup/monthly/incremental/system
    I have nothing else in my /backups drive. Legacy backups are disabled, and only the new backup system is running.

So either cpanel documentation is incorrect/outdated or their update system is broken and doesn't know the backup script on ALL our servers is incorrect.

I don't think the docs are outdated as I can see backup is running as it is on our server. Not sure what is going on with your server. Perhaps open a ticket with cPanel support and ask them.

I don't think the docs are outdated as I can see backup is running as it is on our server.
    Are you choosing incremental backup option?

EDIT: It wouldn't make sense to store incremental backups in a hard-coded date directory. After all.. the backups are incremental, so the "date" would change every time the backup is incremented. I suspect you are using the compressed or uncompressed option. In that case, storing the backups in a hard-coded date folder makes sense since they would ONLY contain that specific date's backup set.

But either way, this does not address the problem that prompted this post. Weekly backups are missing from the new backup system, and either cpanel has some great reason for taking away this functionality (compared to the legacy system) and I am an idiot and I can't figure out what is the reason.... or cpanel needs a smack on the head for taking away this functionality.
    Last edited by mrzippy; 01-01-2014 at 04:31 PM.

cPanel/WHM version 11.42 supposedly has the weekly backup option in the backup configuration.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting