Performance Expectations For A VPS?

Hi All,

I host a couple of very low traffic WordPress sites over at WiredTree using their VPS1500 package and I'm finding the performance and issues experienced to be unacceptable. I'm hoping to get feedback from other users and providers on what I should expect performance wise.

One of my sites averages roughly 1500 uniques a month and the other far less than that. The site that is experiencing the most trouble is experiencing downtime almost daily and only had 318 unique visitors in December. You can see how slow the site loads at slugradio.com. It always takes at least seven seconds to load, and many times it will go above 30 seconds with database connection failures.

I am only running 10 plugins with one of them being W3 Total Cache to try and speed up some of the pages using memcache. I have seen little improvement and it continues to perform very slowly. When creating new WordPress posts I will get frequent messages that WordPress lost connectivity to MySQL.

All in all the performance of this VPS has been worse than my shared hosted account over at Media Temple. Are my expectations too high? Is there something I am missing? I figured that getting a VPS would provide a more robust experience than shared hosting, especially for low volume sites like mine.

In fairness to WiredTree, they have been trying to get to the bottom of the issue, but they haven't been able to find any problems as of yet other than mentioning a firewall setting that apparently throttles connections as a means to protect against DDOS attacks. The problem persisted even after modifying the setting.

I would rather not have to migrate my servers again as anyone knows how big of a pain that is, but I need to figure out if my expectations are too high or if there is a comparable host that offers the same price point but has better performance.

Thanks,

Rich

While there are a lot of settings that could be modified on a server, one could expect a dedicated VPS to perform as well (hopefully better) than a shared web hosting account. However, the configuration and load of the shared web hosting server would play a significant part in the performance difference you are experiencing. It is possible your shared web host is fairly powerful and not heavily loded.

Has WiredTree moved your VPS onto a different physical server (they may be able to do so with no downtime)? The issue could reside on that specific physical server and this may move your VPS away from the problem.
    Tim Benoit

Is your MySQL server elsewhere or located on the same server? Either way look at optimizing your VPS. Try tuning MySQL/Apache/other web servers and see if that helps.

Disable things you don't need and that should help. How is your memory and CPU usage? Is your site experiencing some sort of attack or their host node perhaps?
    OCOSA Communications | Since 2003
    http://www.ocosa.com
    Hosting, Connectivity, Professional Services

Quote Originally Posted by tbenoit View Post
    While there are a lot of settings that could be modified on a server, one could expect a dedicated VPS to perform as well (hopefully better) than a shared web hosting account. However, the configuration and load of the shared web hosting server would play a significant part in the performance difference you are experiencing. It is possible your shared web host is fairly powerful and not heavily loded.

Has WiredTree moved your VPS onto a different physical server (they may be able to do so with no downtime)? The issue could reside on that specific physical server and this may move your VPS away from the problem.
    Hi Tim, we haven't tried moving to another server yet. I will ask if that is possible. I am mainly looking to see if I should expect better performance than this or if shared web hosting might be a better option considering the cost disparity between the two options.

Quote Originally Posted by ocosa View Post
    Is your MySQL server elsewhere or located on the same server? Either way look at optimizing your VPS. Try tuning MySQL/Apache/other web servers and see if that helps.

Disable things you don't need and that should help. How is your memory and CPU usage? Is your site experiencing some sort of attack or their host node perhaps?
    Those are good questions. I am not entirely certain at the moment, but I believe MySQL is on the same server. WiredTree has indicated that they can't see anything wrong other than at times MySQL uses a lot of memory, but I don't see any reason for it. I will be honest and say I am relying on their expertise there as my experience with MySQL has been more from the configuration perspective with WordPress and other projects.

Hello Rich, as a starting point I would like to get a ticket ID from you. From here I can take a look at your recent ticket history and then at your server itself. During this time I will also be in direct contact with a Shift Coordinator and our staff. Based on what you have explained I would assume there is something out of the ordinary that is holding your site back. Either site related or configuration related.

I will wait for a ticket ID and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredTree James View Post
    Hello Rich, as a starting point I would like to get a ticket ID from you. From here I can take a look at your recent ticket history and then at your server itself. During this time I will also be in direct contact with a Shift Coordinator and our staff. Based on what you have explained I would assume there is something out of the ordinary that is holding your site back. Either site related or configuration related.

I will wait for a ticket ID and take it from there.
    Hi James,

As I mentioned earlier, your support staff has been very willing to try and assist, we just haven't seemed to find a solution. The most recent ticket ID is 2879896.

Thanks,

Rich

Probably a plugin issue. Does all of your WP instances have the same set of plugins?

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post
    Probably a plugin issue. Does all of your WP instances have the same set of plugins?
    For the most part yes, but this problem didn't occur when I was using shared hosting at Media Temple, so I have doubts about it being a plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by richgates View Post
    Hi James,

As I mentioned earlier, your support staff has been very willing to try and assist, we just haven't seemed to find a solution. The most recent ticket ID is 2879896.

Thanks,

Rich
    That's great to hear that they have been so helpful. I see your ticket and we will follow up with you through that ticket as we will need a way to replicate the issue as well. Thank you for the kind words and you will hear from us shortly.