What cPanel build tier do you stick to?

The default build/release tier for updates in cPanel is RELEASE: Feature-complete and well tested. New installations default to RELEASE. Published more frequently than STABLE.

Based on previous experience with cPanel releases, certain things tend to get botched up. There was an issue with MySQL earlier this year after an update for instance -- cannot remember the complete details. We personally stick to STABLE - 500 tickets after an upcp is not something we want of course. I (and I'm sure I speak on behalf of many) prefer stability over the last features, bug fixes, etc.

What about others?

Stable. I find with most software sticking with a working version is far better than upgrading at the point others do. Unless of course it was some type of security update then it's done without question and I'd rather fix bugs later then deal with a security flaw being exploited.

We run release on all our systems and we have software in place to push updates when we want to in order to avoid those surprise updates that break things.

When it comes to a new release like the recent 11.40 though we switch over to stable to allow a bit of extra time before we make the leap.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Release on 90% of our managed servers and current on the other 10%. I see no value in running stable.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

We run release on our servers.

Don't know why some hosts like to stay on old versions, I've seen some cPanel servers still running 11.36 build when transferring new clients to our servers.

Stable, these days really isn't very behind the latest release builds. I can remember several years ago where stable builds would take months to catch up, but that process seems to have dramatically sped up.

STABLE 11.40.0.31
    RELEASE 11.40.1.8
    CURRENT 11.40.1.8
    EDGE 11.40.1.8

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Servers View Post
    Stable, these days really isn't very behind the latest release builds. I can remember several years ago where stable builds would take months to catch up, but that process seems to have dramatically sped up.

STABLE 11.40.0.31
    RELEASE 11.40.1.8
    CURRENT 11.40.1.8
    EDGE 11.40.1.8
    Only recently have they really sped it up. With all the servers we deal with there's no real reason for us to stay on stable. We haven't used stable in 5+ years.

Don't know why some hosts like to stay on old versions, I've seen some cPanel servers still running 11.36 build when transferring new clients to our servers.
    This is a bad thing to do because cPanel doesn't backport alot of things. Like the new untrusted backup system due for 11.42 won't be backported. This means you will be open for chance of compromise if you restore customers backups on older versions of cpanel.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

We run release on all our servers.
    Fusioned - http://www.fusioned.net
    Enterprise Hosting | CloudLinux, cPanel, LiteSpeed, R1Soft | PHP 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 & 5.5 | Softaculous | CloudFlare
    SSD KVM VPS in Netherlands | SolusVM | Intel E3-1230v2 | LSI RAID-10 SSD | 1Gbps | IPv6 ready

We always go with release.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

I like to keep it at release myself. Have had some good luck at that tier