Exclamation Which SSD For RAID?

You guys may remember my other thread: [LINK]

Now the decision has been made to to replace all the disks with Seagate Constellation disks, I also have a good amount of SSDs in RAID that haven't yet caused any trouble (touch wood).

My enviroment contains supermicro boxes with LSI 9271 series. Most SSD arrays are RAID6.

Which is the best SSD? I'm hoping not to have to spend many thousands per disk because unfortuantely due to poor foresight consumer grade disks were used in our systems and as a result users are now used to ridiculous speeds which would be impossible without tens of thousands of dollars worth of enterprise grade hardware. The company is now undergoing a shift where reliability is paramount, so I'd like to preserve as much performance WHILE staying reliable.

In other words, is it possible to get a SSD that's reliable in RAID without having to pay $1000+ for a couple hunrded gigs?

Intel s3500's are a bit over $1 a GB for the 600GB parts ($699 on newegg) that is only about 2x consumer drive costs really not to bad for something that is rock solid.

The s3700's write faster and have a higher endurance but costs a ton more. Need to know what the environment is like to say if you need them. Many use cases bumping up a higher end LSI card and running cachecade can get you the performance without pure SSD raids as few people have 100% hot data and write 24/7 at peak.

Quote Originally Posted by silasmoeckel View Post
    Intel s3500's are a bit over $1 a GB for the 600GB parts ($699 on newegg) that is only about 2x consumer drive costs really not to bad for something that is rock solid.

The s3700's write faster and have a higher endurance but costs a ton more. Need to know what the environment is like to say if you need them. Many use cases bumping up a higher end LSI card and running cachecade can get you the performance without pure SSD raids as few people have 100% hot data and write 24/7 at peak.
    We run the S3500's behind Dell H710 (rebranded LSI) RAID controllers with no problem. They perform pretty well in our RAID5 setups for MySQL and can get some impressive I/O numbers with deep queue depths. The trick here isn't the RAID/SSD setup, but rather the MySQL configurations.

We chose the 480GB models over the 600GB model at the time. Also, NewEgg's pricing on most things has become fairly terrible over the past year or so. We buy all of our SSD's in bulk from Provantage. You can get better pricing from Intel directly, but minimum order is 3000 last time we looked.

I've heard good things about the Samsung 843 Enterprise SSDs. I personally have never had any sort of issues with them.

And, of course, you can't go wrong with the Intel s3500 series. I've had a few of those in dedicated servers I've ordered.

Just my personal experience.

I have been using Crucial M4's 512GB SSDs in a number of servers in a RAID 6 configuration with LSI 9261-8i controllers. They have been performing well so far but there are a few things to consider. Doing firmware upgrades means you have to unplug them from the RAID controller to plug directly into a legacy SATA port. This is pain. The Crucial is supposed to do its "garbage collection" when it idle, which I'm not sure ever happens with the LSI, so the lifetime my end up less than expected. I also have concerns that one failure mode I have seen with the M4's on my laptop is they can take a very long time to return a read error which I'm sure would play havoc on a server with a failing drive.

6. Quote Originally Posted by progent View Post
    I have been using Crucial M4's 512GB SSDs in a number of servers in a RAID 6 configuration with LSI 9261-8i controllers. They have been performing well so far but there are a few things to consider. Doing firmware upgrades means you have to unplug them from the RAID controller to plug directly into a legacy SATA port. This is pain. The Crucial is supposed to do its "garbage collection" when it idle, which I'm not sure ever happens with the LSI, so the lifetime my end up less than expected. I also have concerns that one failure mode I have seen with the M4's on my laptop is they can take a very long time to return a read error which I'm sure would play havoc on a server with a failing drive.
    How long have you been running the Crucial's in RAID for? I've not heard very many positive reviews when putting these in RAID..

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    How long have you been running the Crucial's in RAID for? I've not heard very many positive reviews when putting these in RAID..
    Our oldest server with Crucial M4 SSD drives has 2.5 years in service. We have a total of seven servers with Crucial SSD drives. Three are RAID5 with 4x drives and four are RAID6 with 8x drives.

There we some original issues with firmware bugs years ago but those have settled down now and everything has been solid since. The worst old bug was when the drives stopped working after 5200 power on hours. We had a database server crash because all 4 drives failed within about 10 minutes of each other...

It seems like once you are on 040H or later firmware you are in good shape.

8x drives in a RAID 6 has screaming disk performance...

Quote Originally Posted by progent View Post
    FYI, you can update drive firmware with Megacli -PdFwDownload. You don't need to move anything to other adapters.