Thumbs up New WHMCS Android App

I know WHMCS does have their own Android app, but it seems like they never update it and even the screenshots are from couple years ago. I use android and using whmcs from the browser is really inconvenient since it is not mobile optimized at all and you can't click on the hover menu items. I really don't feel like paying for the official app since its not updated at all.

So I'm planning on creating a new WHMCS app for android that does most basic as well as some advanced things that whmcs does with better and updated ui.I am planning on releasing it as a paid app (<$5) and a monthly in app subscription (<$5) for instant notifications of new accounts, tickets etc (since i will have to run a server for sending push messages to the phones). I am going to be using the external api for the android app and i will create a internal plugin and use the internal api for push notifications.

Now my question is would this be legally okay? If i use the api's provided by WHMCS, would it be okay to create a commercial app. And would you guys be interested in using it? Also what do you think of the price point that i had in mind. Let me know.
    Last edited by KSubedi; 12-29-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    Nexim Web Hosting
    Reliable And Affordable Web, Reseller and VPS Hosting
    Advanced DDoS Protecion | Unmetered Bandwidth | Virtualizor | cPanel | MariaDB | LiteSpeed LSAPI | SSH/GIT Access | Nightly Backups and more.
    Contact: mail [at] neximweb.com / +19707033844 / Live Support on Website

2. I think it's a great idea, not sure about legal stuff tho, probably better ask them. Im using the WHMCS android app.. but it really lacks alot.
    Hostabulous | cPanel (Linux) & Plesk (Windows) Hosting KVM VPS R1Soft backups | Proudly Canadian
    Cloudflare LiteSpeed Cloudlinux Remote backups Anti-Spam Web App Firewall Canada/US/Germany

We would highly interested in a new/revised version of the official WHMCS app, which, while it shows potential, doesn't quite cut it.
    Nividium
    Affordable, Reliable & High Performance Web Hosting Since 2011
    Google PageSpeed | Softaculous | SSD Drives | 24/7/365 Technical Support | Instant Activation

When I had an android phone whmcs was very hard to use I always had to wait till I get to a PC because it would never work right on the android web browser. Now I'm on iPhone and it's all smooth no need for a app but it would be nice.

Go for it it'll be a great piece of software for all android users. I don't know to much about legal aspects of this but maybe you can consult with a lawyer or contact whmcs and see what they have to say.

If you have the knowledge, maybe you could make a partnership with them? I'm sure they'd be interested I thought of paying for the app but decided not to due to how much it lacks. Only reason I'm bringing up the partnership is because I'm not too sure as to if they would be okay with you selling a revised version of their app (Not really revised, but you know what I mean)

I would be very interested in this though I'd really look into it before you invest time / money into it's development as essentially I'd expect WHMCS to rebuild their apps... eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ezpz View Post
    I would be very interested in this though I'd really look into it before you invest time / money into it's development as essentially I'd expect WHMCS to rebuild their apps... eventually.
    I agree with Alex. It's a great idea, but check with WHMCS first.

I would love a better WHMCS app. I don't think you have to get permission, but you can still contact them about it.

I don't like the subscription fee. One off I would purchase, but not $5/mo. Especially since it's going to be working with my own WHMCS, not something you host. I understand the ongoing cost is because you'll be supporting it and doing updates, but if it's a good product you will have a long line of tech support/billing techs to buy your app.