Thread: Vps nodes

Vps nodes

If you were to start selling vps' or already do why did you choose the virtualization you did and why do more hosts offer openvz rather than xen or KVM?

OpenVZ / Virtuozzo have been around longer than Xen/KVM, OpenVZ is easier to get started with, and OpenVZ is more efficient (requires less overhead) since it is OS-level virtualization as opposed to hardware virtualization.

The benefits to Xen HVM/KVM is users can run Unix and Windows and are able to run their own kernel. OpenVZ uses a shared kernel approach so it is limited to one kernel and Linux only. You would have to look at your target market to see what would be more beneficial to them.

Quote Originally Posted by sjr2004 View Post
    If you were to start selling vps' or already do why did you choose the virtualization you did and why do more hosts offer openvz rather than xen or KVM?
    I believe many choose OpenVZ for a few reasons:

1) The host only plans to sell Linux based VM's and as such can take advantage of OpenVZ's flexibility for overselling machine resources.

2) It integrates well, very well, in SolusVM control panel where Xen/KVM/etc. are not nearly as well integrated.

--

We use KVM for our VPS & Cloud solutions due to we offer both Linux & Windows in our solutions. We found KVM drastically outperforms XEN with half the headaches and overall is very stable even under very heavy loads.

As a web hosting client, I know that OpenVZ is much cheaper than than xen or KVM. I think that xen has the best technology and if you add ssd, then you're doing really good.

Quote Originally Posted by befree33 View Post
    As a web hosting client, I know that OpenVZ is much cheaper than than xen or KVM. I think that xen has the best technology and if you add ssd, then you're doing really good.
    OpenVZ, Xen & KVM are all opensource, so the costing is the same.

OpenVZ is setup at software level, I believe Xen/KVM are hardware level setups, I guess that means you'd have to own the server yourself and colocate it, where as with OpenVZ you could just rent a Dedicated Server.

Quote Originally Posted by Criot View Post
    OpenVZ is setup at software level, I believe Xen/KVM are hardware level setups, I guess that means you'd have to own the server yourself and colocate it, where as with OpenVZ you could just rent a Dedicated Server.
    That is 100% incorrect.

OpenVZ, KVM, XEN, etc. can all be installed on any dedicated server, colocated server etc. that supports a linux distro and was built after the Pentium 4 era.

KVM, XEN, VMWare, XenServer, etc. all require the hardware to support virtualization where OpenVZ does not require it as it virtualizes at the OS layer.

OpenVZ = operating system-level virtualization. Container (cgroups) isolation. Easier to scale. Relies on hardware node's (OpenVZ specific, Linux) kernel making these virtual servers limited to Linux OS environments only. Overcommit is possible, but not always practiced, in this environment.

Hypervisor = KVM, Kernel Virtual Machine. Virtualized hardware architecture, otherwise considered full isolation (down to the kernel). Not as easy to scale, however non-linux operating systems can be mounted and run in this environment. Resource overcommit is possible under certain circumstances as I've read here (I'm a container guy) but from what I've read, just about every resource but HDD slices can still be oversold. It's been a long running debate.

I've spent far more time administering container environments than anything else, and considering Supply & Demand, have chosen to remain focused on OpenVZ for the time being. When properly tuned and configured, containers make a great virtual server solution. Both have their pros and cons, it's just a matter of finding what method is best for the user.

OpenVZ - after quite a bit of modification anyway as it's not isolated enough for a shared environment really... but after some work and money it's a fantastic option and makes the most sense for us, using resources very efficiently - also it makes everything so easy to manage and scale. We only use SSD so OpenVZ allows us to share this much better without overloading.

For our enterprise branch though we do not use OpenVZ, and never will.

Openvz is nice because of the way it's built and designed while Xen on the other hand is quite nice because it's powerful abs.

Why don't people distinguish between Xen HPV and Xen PV when they refer to "Xen"? If someone writes "Xen" are they assumed to be referring to one or the other?

I have KVM and OpenVZ VPSs. I haven't tried any Xen VPSs yet, but from a customer/client/end-user point of view, is the following correct? :
    • Xen HPV looks nearly identical to KVM - Hardware virtualization that supports many OSs with their own "native" kernels.
    • Xen PV looks similar to OpenVZ - Linux only, special kernels, etc.

What am I missing?