Thread: IP Whitelisting

IP Whitelisting

I am currently running a small blog from a dedicated server that I own, I have a CloudFlare pro subscription in which the site is operating from and I've recently faced a few hacking attempts from some Chinese IP addresses.

I am looking to completely lock down the server through firewall rules. I want to block all direct access to my site from all IP's other than my personal IP and CloudFlare's IP's.

Firstly would all my sites functions still work if I were to do this, such as contact forms, comments, updates, etc and secondly how would I go about doing this?

I am quite a beginner and am just worried that I have a insecure setup that I wouldn't even realise.

Thanks a lot,

Ben.

Oh and I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and NGINX.

You will have to modify the firewall settings and deny access to certain IPs.

Post HI,

Quote Originally Posted by benjm View Post
    I am currently running a small blog from a dedicated server that I own, I have a CloudFlare pro subscription in which the site is operating from and I've recently faced a few hacking attempts from some Chinese IP addresses.

I am looking to completely lock down the server through firewall rules. I want to block all direct access to my site from all IP's other than my personal IP and CloudFlare's IP's.

Firstly would all my sites functions still work if I were to do this, such as contact forms, comments, updates, etc and secondly how would I go about doing this?

I am quite a beginner and am just worried that I have a insecure setup that I wouldn't even realise.

Thanks a lot,

Ben.

Oh and I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and NGINX.

It should still work fine. You do want to be careful, however, because restricting access to our IPs only might cause issues if you pause us and we're going direct to your server. You also should make sure you whitelist any IPs that you want to access your site in Threat Control.
    CloudFlare Community Evangelist