* Test Server on Netbook

Hello guys,
    I have an old netbook that I never really use, and I want to make it into a server, just for the sake of it, I want to learn the skill, can someone point me to a step-by-step tutorial or give me some tips? Not starting a web hosting business, just to test a few simple wordpress sites for myself, but I need to 1) be able to access it from another computer in my friend's house using a free domain from dot.tk. 2) host more than 1 site on my netbook converted server.
    Thanks

I did this once to test and gain more knowledge although I used a tower PC not a netbook. I would not suggest using a netbook or doing this as you can get into some trouble with your ISP as most residential service will not allow it. I had a dual Ethernet setup but that is not always necessary I also had windows server 2003 on the machine as I wanted to use it and at the time it seemed easier to setup with the GUI and I was not so familiar with Linux distros either. Also remember your going to need something like dyndns or a router of some sort that you can apply an ip towards that you have without a static ip it will be a bit harder to utilize unless you use something like dyndns.

Your ISP provider I.e cable or internet provider may not allow their customers to run servers from their home without having a business plan or set up package due to the fact lots of bandwidth may be eaten up from running a server from home. While it is possible it's not recommended by anyone here on WHT.

If you want to learn more about servers and Linux what not then you may want to purchase a small vps server from a provider like burst.net unmanaged and go from there it's very easy to reload your server (vps) with a new os template these days. And a unmanaged vps can go for $5 a month

Quote Originally Posted by ryanchang View Post
    Hello guys,
    I have an old netbook that I never really use, and I want to make it into a server, just for the sake of it, I want to learn the skill, can someone point me to a step-by-step tutorial or give me some tips? Not starting a web hosting business, just to test a few simple wordpress sites for myself, but I need to 1) be able to access it from another computer in my friend's house using a free domain from dot.tk. 2) host more than 1 site on my netbook converted server.
    Thanks

Any computer can be turned into a "server" with the proper software. Install a server OS on it, install the web server software, and run a private network in your house. Most residential ISPs won't allow you to run a web server, but that won't stop you from running a private network in your house.

If your ISP does allow you to run a web server, you have a static IP, and you need public access then you'll have to most likely setup port forwarding on your router to the netbook. However, if this is only for learning purposes then a private network should be fine.

If you are actually trying to host a public web site, just use a shared host. Most shared hosting is ridiculously cheap now.

My advice would be to start with one of the "less polished" control panels like Webmin to handle the basic LAMP setup. You won't get quite as much hand-holding as you would with cPanel, but it will still simplify the process and still give you full control over everything.

There's nothing wrong with manually setting everything up with NO control panel, of course. That's actually a good way to see how everything fits together. But in the real world, if you're thinking of ultimately getting into hosting, you're going to be using a control panel.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

Just use virtualbox, load some linux "image" and do what you wish with it.