* Those Facebook liker scripts...

It seems like Facebook liker scripts are the new fad that's showing up on hosting accounts. This reminds me of those auto blogs that were prevalent years back.

It appears that those scripts are resource intense. Has anyone else seen a rise to these and do you allow them on your network?
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

Quote Originally Posted by JixHost View Post
    It seems like Facebook liker scripts are the new fad that's showing up on hosting accounts. This reminds me of those auto blogs that were prevalent years back.

It appears that those scripts are resource intense. Has anyone else seen a rise to these and do you allow them on your network?
    Haven't seen a rise in them yet. What do these scripts do exactly?

I'm going to assume he means sites like followlike.net where users trade likes/shares/whatever at various social networking sites.

We don't specifically ban them, but with CloudLinux they'd get shut down if they were unfairly resource hogs.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Quote Originally Posted by keliix06 View Post
    I'm going to assume he means sites like followlike.net where users trade likes/shares/whatever at various social networking sites.
    Ok thanks for the explanation, I hadn't heard of these or dealt with them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by keliix06 View Post
    We don't specifically ban them, but with CloudLinux they'd get shut down if they were unfairly resource hogs.
    This. CloudLinux will throttle them if they go past around 1 GB RAM or 1 full CPU core.

I do not see any particular reason why they should be ban. If they are resource abusive than from shared hosting should move to vps or deidcated. They are not forbidden in any hosting company so they should not be banned..

Are you sure he doesn't mean the one where the user types a saying etc and then it gets liked via that website? I believe this just adjusts a code and is on FaceBook's server, but I assume they should be fairly simple such as a simple database where values are echoed out.
    Jordan D - DeguWeb Ltd
    Shared cPanel hosting ~ Softaculous ~ 24x7x365 Support
    1 hour first response support guarantee, we focus on quality and not being cheap

Yep, we see them quite often and they are resource hogs. CloudLinux does keep them locked down but when a reseller creates 50 accounts running the same script it starts to become a bit of a pain.