Exim Mail Server accepting incoming but not sending outgoing

Hi guys,

Had a guy complain yesterday that his password email reset didnt work as no email came through.

Thought it must of been a bug so looked into it. Tested on my own account and i didnt receive one either. Looked at Exim Queue and its there ready to be sent.

I tried forcing it and it just errors saying connection timed out. I have tried restarting exim and disabling firewall and still no luck.

LOG: MAIN
    cwd=/usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot 4 args: /usr/sbin/exim -v -M 1VwoyX-0006c6-BC
    delivering 1VwoyX-0006c6-BC
    Connecting to mx4.hotmail.com [65.55.37.104]:25 ... failed: Connection timed out (timeout=5m)
    mx4.hotmail.com [65.55.37.104] Connection timed out
    Connecting to mx4.hotmail.com [65.55.37.72]:25 ... failed: Connection timed out (timeout=5m)
    mx4.hotmail.com [65.55.37.72] Connection timed out
    Connecting to mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.188.72]:25 ... failed: Connection timed out (timeout=5m)
    mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.188.72] Connection timed out
    Connecting to mx4.hotmail.com [65.55.92.152]:25 ... failed: Connection timed out (timeout=5m)
    mx4.hotmail.com [65.55.92.152] Connection timed out

Any ideas as to why its failing to connect? I dont think any of my billing system emails are sending in regards to this issue

Alec

Is the Exim service even listening to port 25 ?
    WEBUZO - Single User Control Panel for your VPS/Cloud/Server (CentOS/Ubuntu)
    Install NGINX, Apache, MySQL, LAMP, LEMP, PHP, Java and 310+ popular scripts by a CLICK
    Email Server, Database Management, Domain Management, FTP Management, CSF, CRON

I think it possibly will be that your mailserver IP /could/ be on a spam list. Assuming you're using cPanel in /etc/mailips there you can change your mail server IP to another IP binded to your server and try again.

It's most probably Hotmail have blocked your server IP, try sending a couple of test emails via SSH or from an email account of your domain to see if they are delivered.

You can change the mail server IP to an additional IP of the server using iptables OR via the exim configuration. Set the hostname to point to the new IP and rDNS for the new IP to point back to the hostname.
    | LinuxHostingSupport.net
    | Server Setup | Security | Optimization | Troubleshooting | Server Migration
    | Monthly and Task basis services.
    | MSN : madaboutlinux[at]hotmail.com | Skype : madaboutlinux

Never seen Microsoft/Hotmail go as far as to block I.P.s when everyone else in the world is just RBL'd for abuse. Is it happening with Hotmail addresses only? Was it working before? Is this a new install? Firewall? cPanel/WHM or other?

Do a Google search for "Exim Extended Logging" and allow some of the additional parameters to the log_selector in exim.conf, restart Exim and try again.

If WHM, you can copy your exim.conf to exim.conf.bak and run /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/geneximconf to regenerate Exim's config file. There might be a problem with the existing configuration.
    | John Edel Jetfire Networks L.L.C. Trusted Hosting Solutions
    | Consistent, Reliable, Stable OpenVZ & KVM Virtual Private Servers
    | SpamWall AV & Full SMTP Filtering
    Now an SSLStore Titanium Partner!