Hosting operator pop quiz.

This may seem random but I will explain shortly. If you ran/run a hosting company and a customer is concerned as one website is getting GBs worth of traffic when it is more used to a few hundred visits a month... How would you support them?

Had to read your question a couple times to fully understand.

So basically a customer of your is used to only having low amount of bandwidth usage and traffic per month but now they have higher bandwidth usage but the visitor rate is still the same?
    ❄️❄️❄️ HOSTBLIZZARD.COM --- 100% Canadian Hosting Provider ❄️❄️❄️
    • Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud Hosting • VPS Servers • Domain Names
    a division of Sheernox Technology Group

Great demands requires great budget/money. If you were the hoster and this is your client, and If I were you, well I'll be glad to take care of him, but quality care requires quality payment ^ ^ .
    --

Sorry. I was vague. I am the customer in this case and have been unimpressed with the reply. I want to see what real customer service should be.... In an attempt to find a new supplier.

Are you hosting files that people are downloading? What stats program are you using to colate the traffic? That's the first thing that comes to my head.
    █ • North Hosts Limited - Company Number 8808995 Affordable UK Web Hosting
    █ • Shared • Reseller • VPS • Dedicated • 24/7/365 Support • Instant Activation
    █ • Trendy Site Builder • CloudFlare • Softaculous • Seo Tools • cPanel

Awstats shows nothing I can see that is useful. No files being downloaded. Most traffic is coming from ..... China.... Hmph.

Someone may have ripped your site and are using your source code, might also be bots attempting a captcha form or something of the like.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by NorthHosts View Post
    Someone may have ripped your site and are using your source code, might also be bots attempting a captcha form or something of the like.

Jon
    Especially with the visiting IPs from China. If you don't have a lot of normal traffic from China, it might be worth it to work a little .htaccess magic here.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

You may want to disable hot-linking and see if that helps.
    HostWithLove.com - World Class Hosting Personalized - 9 Locations Across 4 Continents
    Fully Managed Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel/WHM | CloudLinux | JetBackup | LiteSpeed | MariaDB | SpamExperts Outbound Filtering
    Locations: Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, Quebec, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Singapore and Sydney

It sounds like you might be worried that the traffic is illegitimate. If that is your concern, I would want to find out the IP addresses of the requests and see if they have anything in common. It could be a small-scale ddos, or just an attempt to use your bandwidth. Furthermore, I would look at the specific content they're requesting from the logs. Is there a particular page or file that is being requested more than normal?

If you're concerned with the extra bandwidth charges, does your host suspend your account when you exceed the bandwidth limit, or do they charge for overages? You may want to see if you can temporarily upgrade to the next package so that you don't exceed your bandwidth limit if you think the extra traffic is legitimate and don't intend to block it.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

All great ideas. I had already disabled hot links... No joy.... I have just upgraded WordPress in case there was a vulnerability that was being exploited. I have also disabled the commenting too to see what happens. Thanks again. I will report back.

Have you checked the logs to see what files are getting accessed the most?

Also be sure to enable mod-userdir tweak in your whm. If all else fails, you may need to cap he bandwidth and send an email to the client explaining to him whats going on.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

Your going to first want to try and at least see where this traffic of yours is mainly coming from. You mentioned something amour china most us hosts and sites usually block all China ips from their servers so that they don't run into problems such as this one.

Try upgrading all your software on the server / account. Also find out with your host if they will suspend your site or does overselling kick in if you so happen to hit your bandwidth limit. Next upgrade your plan for the next couple days or month just incase your bandwidth does so happen to go above your allocated resource limit so that then you won't get any head aches then.