Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    182

    what to do with unused vbulletin license?

    i cannot sell it and i have no use for it anymore.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,054
    There are many things you can do. Either sell it for a very low price if you really want to get rid of it. Or make use of it form a site that you'll have in the long run and that will benefit you. There's also the option if you don't want to do any work of partnering up with someone or people and have them run the site while you fund the project.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by A Goat View Post
    i cannot sell it and i have no use for it anymore.
    Care to elaborate why you 'can't' sell it?

    - Alexander
    HostUS - Premium Hosting Made Affordable
    EIGHT Worldwide locations spanning USA, Europe & Asia Pacific
    Own ASN, Own Network, Own IP's - AS7489 & AS25926

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LocalHost
    Posts
    1,303
    Quote Originally Posted by HostUS - Alexander View Post
    Care to elaborate why you 'can't' sell it?

    - Alexander
    May be an active upgrade license is only eligible for transfer.

    EDIT
    ------------------
    VB has one-time transfer policy. So, may be this license is already transferred once.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by HostUS - Alexander View Post
    Care to elaborate why you 'can't' sell it?

    - Alexander
    because vbulletin doesn't permit private sales per their license agreement. they stopped awhile ago unfortunately.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,966
    Quote Originally Posted by A Goat View Post
    i cannot sell it and i have no use for it anymore.
    Maybe just use it to earn from google adsense?

    It seems you are stuck :-)
    Specially 4 You
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LocalHost
    Posts
    1,303
    If you have just one VB licence in your account, you can giveaway complete access of your account to someone.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    2,063
    Just forget them. Seeing how much they've screwed up, they are probably going to announce Vb 6 soon to grab some extra dough.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

    It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    Quote Originally Posted by A Goat View Post
    because vbulletin doesn't permit private sales per their license agreement. they stopped awhile ago unfortunately.
    haha, they couldn't sell any more new licenses so they stopped letting people sell their old ones?

    When did they start this?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    5,387
    Quote Originally Posted by A Goat View Post
    because vbulletin doesn't permit private sales per their license agreement. they stopped awhile ago unfortunately.
    I sold my license but gave the purchaser full access to the account and then they changed the details on the account, they can't stop you doing that.

    Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    haha, they couldn't sell any more new licenses so they stopped letting people sell their old ones?

    When did they start this?
    Yeah about 2011-2012 I believe, after IB trashed the company. I remember it was after Xenforo winning the case against them, the stupid ....
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    Yeah about 2011-2012 I believe, after IB trashed the company. I remember it was after Xenforo winning the case against them, the stupid ....
    They had to since people were wanting to sell off their licenses. IB wasn't gonna see much money if they allowed license transfer.

    They are just now getting CMS for Vb 5 out in Alpha version. That's how bad it has been.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

    It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    5,387
    Quote Originally Posted by alucasa View Post
    They had to since people were wanting to sell off their licenses. IB wasn't gonna see much money if they allowed license transfer.

    They are just now getting CMS for Vb 5 out in Alpha version. That's how bad it has been.
    VBulletin really mucked their reputation when they tried to sue the Xenforo developers for nothing (Just to stop development) because they was the ex-employees of Jelsoft. It's their own fault people are leaving them. No need to wreck their reputation anymore. Oh well VBulletin 4 = Rubbish. VBulletin 5 = Rip of Xenforo & IPBoard.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    State of Disbelief
    Posts
    22,951
    Quote Originally Posted by A Goat View Post
    because vbulletin doesn't permit private sales per their license agreement. they stopped awhile ago unfortunately.
    This appears to be the most recent info:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...amp;viewfull=1
    Allowed, once only?
    Quote Originally Posted by ravi_9793 View Post
    If you have just one VB licence in your account, you can giveaway complete access of your account to someone.
    That's not allowed, according to their FAQ.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    5,387
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    This appears to be the most recent info:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...amp;viewfull=1

    That post made me laugh so much:

    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...84#post3579384

    Says three urls, all them urls lead to the same forum as stated in the thread, however they are now Xenforo

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    That post made me laugh so much:

    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...84#post3579384

    Says three urls, all them urls lead to the same forum as stated in the thread, however they are now Xenforo
    ROLF.

    LOL.

    Really, I am at loss of words.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

    It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Let's see.....
    Posts
    4,446
    Even their peeps know Xenforo is better! If INet decides to ever upgrade this beast aka WHT, hopefully it's to Xenforo instead of vB 5. Best thing is keep it as is.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmikat View Post
    Even their peeps know Xenforo is better!
    That's what happens when you just stop adjusting with the times, your own people recognize that other software is better

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmikat View Post
    If INet decides to ever upgrade this beast aka WHT, hopefully it's to Xenforo instead of vB 5.
    Yeah, that won't happen

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    73
    If the license is just sitting, I would open up a community involving something that you enjoy or are knowledgeable in -- maybe even just a general discussion board. There may be a lot of competition, but I have done something similar to that in the past and it was a nice board for my friends and I to hang out on for a while; we had quite a few outsiders too. Managing a forum can be a fun and great way to improve your skills.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmikat View Post
    Even their peeps know Xenforo is better! If INet decides to ever upgrade this beast aka WHT, hopefully it's to Xenforo instead of vB 5. Best thing is keep it as is.
    I agree, I like WHT as it is now. Invision Power Board, with the right usage, is pretty nice as well. I use it for just about everything.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    2,063
    Didn't WHT start with UBB first?

    Man, I miss UBB and Vb1 days.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

    It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    536
    Best advise I can give you, cancel the licenses.

    If the license was purchased by you, you can sell/transfer it once

    But the license agreement says if you live in the EU, you can do it as often as you want. (it's confusing and even their own staff don't know about it), as the laws are different in the EU.

    I had 3 or 4 licenses in total, but they're worthless, so I ended up cancelling them. (2 VB4 licenses and 2 VB3 licenses)

    VB4 has NO active developers on it right now, VB5 is a complete mess, it's an alpha product at best and only has 3-4 active devs on it. (I say "Only", because even with 3-4 devs, progress at making it stable, is taking AGES)

Similar Threads

  1. B> Spare/Unused VBulletin License
    By CoolRock in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 08:43 AM
  2. WTB: Unused IPB License
    By -Dan in forum Other Web Hosting Related Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 10:06 AM
  3. Unused Plesk License, What to do???
    By 7out in forum Hosting Software and Control Panels
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 08:40 AM
  4. New unused Vbulletin owned license for sale
    By Render2010 in forum Other Offers & Requests
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2002, 04:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •