Do you manage IP reputation for your customers?

In our experience, our upstream provider has always handled IP reputation management when it comes to emails being rejected or thrown on a DNSBL. And if one of our customers comes to us with their IP on a blacklist, we'll either submit a remove request on their behalf or escalate it to our upstream provider. There are exceptions to this, such as customers who wind up on ROKSO or who otherwise fail our spam sniff test. But at the very least, we always investigate and always either take ownership of the issue or send the customer packing.

What's your policy on managing IP reputation?

We're having recurring problems with our billing system IPs getting blacklisted by Outlook / Live, Gmail, and Verizon, even though they don't appear on any other DNSBLs. All we send from our IP is transactional emails; we never send bulk or promotional emails. When we contacted our provider, they told us we'd have to deal with it -- which is completely our opposite experience with our other two major vendors.

So what's par for the course? Are our expectations too high? In either case it looks like we're going to have to find a new provider, as we may be nested in a wider subnet with a bad reputation.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

In my experience, all of my managed providers (albeit only WiredTree and KnownHost) have managed IP reputation for me. That being said, they did not do so proactively. I had to request them to check the IP's.

I think you could probably expect higher end managed services to take care of this for you and probably the lower end managed services would be a bit quicker to tell you otherwise.

Just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by FRH Lisa View Post
    We're having recurring problems with our billing system IPs getting blacklisted by Outlook / Live, Gmail, and Verizon, even though they don't appear on any other DNSBLs. All we send from our IP is transactional emails; we never send bulk or promotional emails. When we contacted our provider, they told us we'd have to deal with it -- which is completely our opposite experience with our other two major vendors.
    A hosting business that I work for solved this by almost 100% by using Google Apps to handle all of our billing + support email.
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Whomever owns the IP needs to manage it. If you're listed as the SWIPE, then you manage it.

With regard to your own email sending, have you considered using something like mandrill?
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I don't know how you would keep up with this. I recently had a spammer spoof an email address from a clients domain on my server that didn't even exist but I cannot get verizon to remove my ip address from their bl. I have very few clients and they don't maintain mailing lists and I monitor the mail queues/logs daily so I know that my server isn't being used to spam. I also checked if my ip address exists on any of the rbl search sites that I tried with zero results so I just gave up on verizon.

To maintain mail server IP reputation, I think it would be good to choose third party email filter providers such as spam experts. We can configure our mail server installed with spamexperts and they they have their own custom rule to decide spam scores and limit/block unsolicited emails.

By using this way, we can prevent incoming and outgoing spam emails to a great extents. They do have a good support team, so that we can contact the for any assistance.

The IP reputation issue is very much common in a now days and many hosting companies facing great problem because of it, as a hosting provider its our responsibility to white list the ips but if the same ip black listed continuously than we can provide the white list URL to client, so that client can fill it and resolve the IP reputation.
    Regards,
    Balajitechs | The Server Management Company

Server Security Experts And Web Hosting Techs
    Skype | balajitechs

We handle all matters with client's IP addresses for them.
    We try keep our network very clean and we have zero tolerance towards spam and mailing.