Good Host for an Theater/ Entertainment site?

Hi Everyone,

I have been away from web design for 15 years now and I need to do a little catching up now that my current business is in need of a decent website. Sorry if my question and terminology seem a little outdated...

I'm looking to build a site for an Entertainment company. It doesn't have to be super fancy (yet) just something to get us going. People have been talking about sites like Wix, HostGator, Weebly, FatCow etc. or should I go with something more advanced?

What will give me the best support and Ecommerce? What site has good design tools built in, and will they allow me to FTP a Dreamweaver designed site to them eventually.

I will need 5-6 pages to start and will work my way up to many more for archived performances. I have been trying to decipher what '2 levels (etc) deep navigation' means. Does that affect how many pages on a site, or is it more a technical answer?

I will embed videos from YouTube which I assume is easier(cheaper in bandwidth?) than uploading vids to the site. I don't expect a ton of traffic so no overloads on their end.

I don't mind paying a little extra a year If the service is better.

Also, if there are other forums that are helpful that will answer design questions after I handle the hosting and domain name basic, please let me know.

Thanks, looking forward to being back in the loop

Pianobum

Quote Originally Posted by Pianobum View Post
    People have been talking about sites like Wix, HostGator, Weebly, FatCow etc.
    I don't recommend any of them providers, you will end up having issues and then coming back to here looking for a better provider.

I recommend FreshRostedHosting and CrocWeb for Webhosting.

Webdesign questions could be posted here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Good luck with your search for a webhost, and Merry Christmas.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

I second Mike's opinion. Those host may be somewhat decent if you have never experienced better. Not sure about Wix and Weebly but HostGator and FatCow don't enjoy the nicest reputation around.

What's your budget?
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

budget

I don't mind spending $1-200 a year if that's average. but I'm not sure If I need all the bells and whistles to warrant spending that much just yet. That's what I'm trying to suss out before I buy in to something.

I could recommend you going for a shared hosting plan, you can get these cheaply from most providers and also get a free domain with some if you pay for a year in advance.

You can use FTP to upload a dreamweaver site, however seeing as you have been away from web development and to make maintenance easier I would recommend installing a content management system such as Wordpress which is web based and allows you to login to a backend and update/add pages and plugins to your site.

As said above, most of the bigger companies are owned by the same group and have a lot of clients moving away from them.
    Jordan - Director ~ DeguWeb Ltd
    Graphic Design / Logo Design / Website Design

DeguWeb Ltd is a company registered England and Wales (Company No. 10316368)

wordpress etc...

Thanks, I didn't understand half of what you said though lol.
    Isn't Wordpress is a blog site? How does using that make it easier than a change to a page and FTPing the new info. (way behind on this knowledge ..)

And what hosting site would you recommend I go to, if the big names are losing clients rapidly?

To speed up the process I'd be ok with going with one of the bigger names that doesn't have too bad of a reputation, if I can get up and running within the next 2 weeks without too much fuss. If I decide I hate it a few months later, I will take the loss on the yearly service fee. no big deal. By then I should have figured out what the better companies are out there.

Wordpress is a blog site yes, however there is also a version called Wordpress.org that you can download and upload via FTP then install on your own hosting. I feel this would be a good solution for you personally. I would also recommend Bigscoots, their support is great. They are pretty big but not owned by any of these bigger companies, the 2 guys that run it are really friendly so you get a personal experience.
    Jordan - Director ~ DeguWeb Ltd
    Graphic Design / Logo Design / Website Design

DeguWeb Ltd is a company registered England and Wales (Company No. 10316368)

8. Quote Originally Posted by Pianobum View Post
    Thanks, I didn't understand half of what you said though lol.
    Isn't Wordpress is a blog site? How does using that make it easier than a change to a page and FTPing the new info. (way behind on this knowledge ..)
    Wordpress is a CMS (Content Management System), it's much easier to add content and manage your website. There is tons of templates available around the internet that you can customize for your needs. Basically you have a nice UI to edit your pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Pianobum View Post
    And what hosting site would you recommend I go to, if the big names are losing clients rapidly?

To speed up the process I'd be ok with going with one of the bigger names that doesn't have too bad of a reputation, if I can get up and running within the next 2 weeks without too much fuss. If I decide I hate it a few months later, I will take the loss on the yearly service fee. no big deal. By then I should have figured out what the better companies are out there.
    If you are unsure about hosting, as Mike mentionned there is some well-recommanded companies here, like CrocWeb, FreshRostedHosting, BigScoots (Google themp up or do a search here on WHT). You can always go with a month-to-month billing, so if you are not satisfied with them, you wont lose money.
    Hostabulous | cPanel (Linux) & Plesk (Windows) Hosting KVM VPS R1Soft backups | Proudly Canadian
    Cloudflare LiteSpeed Cloudlinux Remote backups Anti-Spam Web App Firewall Canada/US/Germany

Quote Originally Posted by OH Jordan View Post
    Wordpress is a blog site yes, however there is also a version called Wordpress.org that you can download and upload via FTP then install on your own hosting. I feel this would be a good solution for you personally. I would also recommend Bigscoots, their support is great. They are pretty big but not owned by any of these bigger companies, the 2 guys that run it are really friendly so you get a personal experience.
    Thanks for the mention Jordan and Julien, happy holidays to you!
    www.BigScoots.com - Experience the Difference, Ride With Us
    Specializing in Premium Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid and Dedicated Hosting
    Fully Managed | 100% Positive Approval Rating! | Server Migrations
    REAL 24/7/365 US Based ~5 Minute Response Times | 100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    I recommend FreshRostedHosting and CrocWeb for Webhosting.
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    If you are unsure about hosting, as Mike mentionned there is some well-recommanded companies here, like CrocWeb, FreshRostedHosting, BigScoots (Google themp up or do a search here on WHT). You can always go with a month-to-month billing, so if you are not satisfied with them, you wont lose money.
    Awww, thanks you two! I can also recommend CrocWeb - we used a reseller account with them to handle a VIP customer's very particular needs, and we've had exactly zero issues with them.

Also, seconding this:

Wordpress is a CMS (Content Management System), it's much easier to add content and manage your website. There is tons of templates available around the internet that you can customize for your needs. Basically you have a nice UI to edit your pages.
    WordPress is incredibly popular and for a very good reason. It's easy to use, extremely customizable, and very stable. The only real problems we see involving WordPress are when customers install way too many plugins, or don't keep their system up to date. 50 plugins + an outdated WordPress installation = a ticking time bomb. Same goes for any other CMS out there, really.

The thing about WordPress is that it's evolved past just being a blogging platform to being a full-scale CMS. It can be everything from a photo sharing site to an e-commerce platform to, of course, a blog. And because it's so popular, it is VERY easy to find support.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates