Thread: /29 IP Block

/29 IP Block

Hello,

I want to buy a /29 IP Block to announce in a provider of my choice.
    Where can I buy it? I don't want to become a RIP LIR only to have a /29.

What's your recommendation?

Thank you in advance.

Not really plausible. The minimum you can announce is a /24. Unless you can provide justification for the entire /24, you will have to use what your provider allocates to you.

Oh, I see.
    I have a friend which bought a /24 from Jump.RO/Ip.RO for 100€ activation and 30€ anually. Although, it's only available for Romanian people/companies.

Do you guys from WHT know any service with simillar prices that allows people from Portugal?

Thank you very much

There are companies that lease IPs, check the Web hosting related offers section. You will be paying about 1 EUR / month per IP though, not 30 annually. Unless you go through the LIR, you are bound to pay high rates, but getting IPs from RIPE at this point would be tough.

Even if you go around the LIR, you still need to provide justification for having the IP addresses or your bound to get the IPs reclaimed.

Where is your business registered?

Do you expect your IP needs to grow over the next few months?

Might be better getting some help in justifying /24 and ordering them by yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    Not really plausible. The minimum you can announce is a /24. Unless you can provide justification for the entire /24, you will have to use what your provider allocates to you.
    I don't think he means "announce a provider", rather "announce to the Internet".

Pretty sure he just wants to buy a /29 and use it. That should be pretty cheap from most providers, considering they charge about $1/IP. However, if you can't justify it, don't plan on it. Providers are so skeptical about giving out IP's these days.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

Quote Originally Posted by Jmax View Post
    I don't think he means "announce a provider", rather "announce to the Internet".

Pretty sure he just wants to buy a /29 and use it. That should be pretty cheap from most providers, considering they charge about $1/IP. However, if you can't justify it, don't plan on it. Providers are so skeptical about giving out IP's these days.
    Hey,

What I want is to announce them to the Internet, yes. But I would like to be able to maintain the IPs if I switch Datacenter or provider.

Is this possible at all? I can justify the IPs, yeah.

Thank you for your help

EDIT: I know a few providers who announce customer's IPs for free by request.

If you want to be able to keep your same block, then you'll more than likely need to get them straight from an RIR/LIR. With the scarcity of IPv4, and just in general, I'd be really surprised if you found a provider that would let you just take IPs with you when you leave. You might be able to work out a deal where they let you announce the IPs for a fee after you leave, but again you'll need at least a /24 for that, IIRC.

APNIC, /24 yearly rental is US$3,600. You can bring them anywhere as long as you keep paying rental fee.
    Alex - info[@]serverhk.org
    Server Hong Kong Company - The optimized choice
    No limitation at service scope but promise you always the best price for whatever service level required.

Quote Originally Posted by Serverhk View Post
    APNIC, /24 yearly rental is US$3,600. You can bring them anywhere as long as you keep paying rental fee.
    Including for use outside apnic region? Portugal is RIPE area and RIPE only have a /22 for LIRs.

We provide LOA for IP rental customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by asturmas View Post
    Including for use outside apnic region? Portugal is RIPE area and RIPE only have a /22 for LIRs.
    No limitation at service scope but promise you always the best price for whatever service level required.

APNIC is the same. you can only have /22 max.
    This policy is in effect longer than RIPE
    So, APNIC is more expensive than RIPE IP.

Quote Originally Posted by hanoon View Post
    Might be better getting some help in justifying /24 and ordering them by yourself...
    Is there anyone here who can do this or know anyone who can?

I want to but having trouble finding anywhere that'd lease me a large enough block as ARIN requires, short of breaking the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by derp View Post
    Is there anyone here who can do this or know anyone who can?

I want to but having trouble finding anywhere that'd lease me a large enough block as ARIN requires, short of breaking the bank.
    Setting up your own AS and maintaining it should be more expensive.

You can always rent /24 to /18 if yearly payment upfront is not a problem.

I have not heard anyone got banded or suspended because they use our IPs outside APNIC region yet.

Am I lucky or it is just a saying but no one cares?

Setting up your own AS and maintaining it should be more expensive.

You can always rent /24 to /18 if yearly payment upfront is not a problem.
    What I meant is, I could pay, but I don't want to pay an exorbitant amount for something that I won't really be using for much besides to say that I have it (I don't want to have a full lease/contract on IPs that will ultimately only be used to write on the ARIN application that I have indeed owned IPs). Besides, I'd much rather have resources under my own name, and that way I have full control over it and know that they're mine to do with as I please, versus with renting where they belong to someone else, that someone else is free to take them back and stop renting whenever they like, and that I'd have to respect that they aren't actually mine.
    Last edited by derp; 12-31-2013 at 04:44 AM.

You have your points.
    Then get more customers and buy more IPs.
    The more IPs you own, the less renewal fee for the Account(in portion) you pay.
    Buying /24 to /28 is always an option too.
    It does happen that you have to respect when your provider stop to rent something you have been renting for a long time for whatever reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by derp View Post
    What I meant is, I could pay, but I don't want to pay an exorbitant amount for something that I won't really be using for much besides to say that I have it (I don't want to have a full lease/contract on IPs that will ultimately only be used to write on the ARIN application that I have indeed owned IPs). Besides, I'd much rather have resources under my own name, and that way I have full control over it and know that they're mine to do with as I please, versus with renting where they belong to someone else, that someone else is free to take them back and stop renting whenever they like, and that I'd have to respect that they aren't actually mine.

You have your points.
    Then get more customers and buy more IPs.
    The more IPs you own, the less renewal fee for the Account(in portion) you pay.
    Buying /24 to /28 is always an option too.
    It does happen that you have to respect when your provider stop to rent something you have been renting for a long time for whatever reason.
    Yeah, but to even get an initial allocation I already need some amount of addresses. I'd love to get more customers and buy more IPs, but ARIN won't assign me any IPs at all until I get that initial allocation.

You can consider to purchase an APNIC AS with /18 in one go.

You can consider to purchase an APNIC AS with /18 in one go.
    Actually I'm probably going to try to get some hosting set up there too, where can I get that and how much does it cost? (And - I'd be the actual owner of the AS/addresses, not some rental?)

--
    Added props if I can also use that as justification for the ARIN space.