Thread: IP Hijacked?

IP Hijacked?

Hi, all:

I had a public site some time ago with two registered domains: www(dot)subnetskills(dot)com, and www(dot)subnetskillz(dot)com. In January, I allowed the registration on the domains to expire, and shut the sites down. As it happens, I kept the public IP, and I have a Dyndns domain name pointing back to it for personal stuff.

A few weeks ago, I noticed I could no longer access my pages on this site from my AT&T phone, or from my desktop at work. The security team called and said they found a problem, but that it's no big deal from their perspective, and that it looked like someone hijacked my IP. After a bit of digging, it looks like ww2(dot)subnetskillz(dot)com and/or www(dot)subnetskillz(dot)com may be referring to it, but it's hard to tell; I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at. If I look up the whois, there is little useful information. If I try going to the URL, I get a parking page. If I go to http(colon)//www(dot)sitedossier(dot)com/site/www(dot)subnetskillz(dot)com, I see that it refers to my public IP.

Anyone know what might be the issue, or more importantly, how I might get this corrected?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

What do you mean 'public IP'?

If you don't renew your hosting account then the IP gets reassigned to the next customer.

Do you own the domains anymore? - ★★ Managed VPS / Budget Servers / Colocation ★★
    Facilities : Atlanta, Buffalo and Las Vegas
    Web : http://www.serverlogix.comContact Us

Jacksonville, Florida
    He allowed the domains to expire. And he could have gotten the ip through his ISP and now having an issue

Thanks both for the quick response.

As sjr2004 said, I allowed the domains to expire (in January - about 11 months ago). The static public IP address I have, however, is the same as when the domains were active. I've had it since January 2011.

I really don't care that someone took the domain name. The concern is that 1) they are somehow linked to my IP address, and 2) are identified by a number of services as hacker or otherwise 'bad' sites. As a result, when I try to connect to my site using my dyndns FQDN, I can't connect because proxies at my company, AT&T wireless, and likely others are blocking *my* reputable pages.

@ derp: Public IP = routable IP address (i.e., not 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 10.x.x.x). In this case, my public IP is also static - it's the same IP address I got when I opened my account with my ISP in January 2011.

Don't think webhosting provider - my IP terminates at my residence, so I own/operate my entire infrastructure (servers, firewalls, networking, etc.)