Ideas on what to do with Server Hardware

Hi I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice on a good solution for my question. I have been given nearly a datacenter's worth of Server hardware that is all in Excellent condition. the company that had them has just recently upgraded and downsized. Anyway, to give you an idea of the scope of what I have, I currently have 2 Full size 42U racks full of fiber channel drives totaling somewhere in the 80TB range. 2 More 42U Racks full of DL360, DL140 Ect all G4p or better. I have another 2 42U Server racks that are nearly empty but have DL585's DL580's DL560's Etc for them. Cisco equipment, etc etc etc... you get the picture. there is a Ton of stuff. I have been seriously considering putting this equipment into service and using it to either do Web hosting, Game hosting, or maybe something cloud based. I am mainly a nuts and bolts guy. I can make the equipment do whatever I need it to, but I am not a creative person. for me deciding on the direction to go with this is the hard part. My question for you all is: is there something that can be done to make this hardware into a profitable business or am I crazy for trying? and if you had this much hardware, what would you do with it?

Sorry for being so long winded and thank you for your time

Michael

First thing comes to mind is Bitcoin. Perhaps you could do that until the next good idea comes along.

Sell it on eBay and make a quick buck, or rack it in a datacenter and start a hosting business for a longer-term return.

Don't run the equipment out of your house.
    ❄️❄️❄️ HOSTBLIZZARD.COM --- 100% Canadian Hosting Provider ❄️❄️❄️
    • Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud Hosting • VPS Servers • Domain Names
    a division of Sheernox Technology Group

LOL oh no, I have no delusions of trying to run this out of my home. even though I do have a 3x3 T1 service here. I simply do not have the power needed to run all of this here. And I am looking towards a longer term return on this. I think there is potential here, it's just a matter of deciding which direction to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    First thing comes to mind is Bitcoin. Perhaps you could do that until the next good idea comes along.
    I was considering doing something with bitcoin / litecoin but after running a few preliminary mining tests, found it not to be viable (unless I am looking at this the wrong way, which is possible)

One thing comes to mind, rent the servers out, set up a hosting company for long term returns. If all comes to worse it will be a learning curve at least. No point in them gathering dust.

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    too much power.... if you are not mining with ASIC Miners, you are just losing the war.

We have a Cage client with NOTHING but ASIC machines.... Amazing setup overall..
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

I guess, if you are looking at all options, you could look for someone that is already providing hosting/server space and you could partner with them. They could pay you a percentage of revenue derived from your servers, and should have the sales channels, billing systems, etc, all in place already to put it to use.

At least this seem like AN option to me.

You could rack it up as someone already mentioned, and you can start your own hosting business, but before that, make a business plan.
    BeltHosting.com Staff. Shared Web Hosting | Reseller Web Hosting | IRCD Hosting | psyBNC/sBNC/eggdrop/znc Hosting
    xShellz Linux Shell & IRCD Hosting.
    24/7 Live & Ticket Support

mlgower:
    You should look up your hardware in more detail. There is of course a reason
    why your contact upgraded everything. It may be that the servers are simply
    too old and not supporting Hardware Virtualization (Intel VT/AMD-V). Unless
    your servers do this they really are "worthless" and you should sell them off
    as soon as possible.

The HP G4s are not VT. It started with the G5 Series and Dell PE 1950/2950 (III).

I would start a web hosting business or add onto one. You can find or start looking for a partner that has a business set up then you can deploy your equipment and start making a killing if web hosting services. I've never really gotten into bit coin mining and I don't think I ever will..

Starting a business that will run and stay up for a while is good so in the long run you can make lots of money back and be profitable.