I need a VPS for a shared hosting server!

Hello everybody! I currently have a server with Leaseweb, kind of high performance server (Xeon quad-core with 16 GB RAM), I use that server to host websites, but due to various reasons I no longer have the same amount of customers as I did in the past few years! So I'm planning to move to a VPS instead, for financial reasons.

I have 100 - 150 accounts left on the server so I'm thinking these specifications should suffice:

RAM: 8 GB
    Disk space: ~150 GB (Preferably SSD)
    Network: 100 or 1000 Mbits high quality and low-latency with 2 IPs
    cPanel license
    Bandwidth: 2 TB

I'm not so determined on the location, but Europe is preferred to the US.

I do not need a managed service, I can manage my server on my own, I've seen many good hosts that only offer managed services and therefore charge extra, I do not wish to pay that extra money for something I don't need.

The budget is somewhat flexible! But I'm thinking $500/year or $50/month (Including cPanel license) is good price for these specs

So what do you suggest?

50$ with cpanel , means 35$ for VPS with 8GB ram with SSD ??? may be possible with SATA but not with SSD
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Quote Originally Posted by AL-Kateb View Post
    Hello everybody! I currently have a server with Leaseweb, kind of high performance server (Xeon quad-core with 16 GB RAM), I use that server to host websites, but due to various reasons I no longer have the same amount of customers as I did in the past few years! So I'm planning to move to a VPS instead, for financial reasons.

I have 100 - 150 accounts left on the server so I'm thinking these specifications should suffice:

RAM: 8 GB
    Disk space: ~150 GB (Preferably SSD)
    Network: 100 or 1000 Mbits high quality and low-latency with 2 IPs
    cPanel license
    Bandwidth: 2 TB

I'm not so determined on the location, but Europe is preferred to the US.

I do not need a managed service, I can manage my server on my own, I've seen many good hosts that only offer managed services and therefore charge extra, I do not wish to pay that extra money for something I don't need.

The budget is somewhat flexible! But I'm thinking $500/year or $50/month (Including cPanel license) is good price for these specs

So what do you suggest?
    For a good 8 GB RAM vps with cPanel you need to multiply your budget with 4 atleast.You could also get a cheap dedicated server from kimsufi, datashack etc & add cPanel but either way you will have to increase your budget.

Minimum / at least / the lowest you could go to = Hybrid Server.

This way you will have some dedicated cores. You have lots of websites, going with a VPS will be a mistake.

Also don't settle with cheap dedicated, get some high quality performance with a Hybrid or Premium Dedicated.
    --

It will be tough to find a VPS with that much SSD space for that price.
    Have you considered just a smaller dedicated server? Might be the better option.
    Also 100-150 accounts to a vps node even with 8 gigs of ram is a bit risky imo.

$50 not enough for your specifications.
    I don't think you can find SSD Storage with 8GB Ram.
    2 ways you have.. Choose SATA Storage or increase your budget.

Good luck

Thanks guys for your replies, I've said "preferably" : ) I am not so fixed on that, or on the budget either! But I currently have the following:

I do not think the budget is so low for these specs and if they are then I guess I have a great deal with leaseweb now

I checked leaseweb and I found this server for $86/mo:

Server: HP ProLiant DL120
    CPU: 1x Intel Quad Core Xeon X3210
    Server Control Panel: cPanel/WHM
    RAM: 8GB DDR2
    Harddisk: 2x500GB SATA2
    Bandwidth: 5000 GB
    Network type: Premium
    IP: 2
    Uplink Port Speed: 1 x 100Mbps Full-Duplex

This is a dedicated server, with more 2.5 times the bandwidth, and 6 times the storage space, and again "DEDICATED".

If this server costs $86/mo then I guess a VPS with less specs should not cost more than $50/mo Don't you think? If it was all about the SSD then I can give that up! No problem.

It's true that 150 websites might need a dedicated server but most of them are not active, barely get few visits a day aside from bots and search engines.

Nevertheless, what is a good self-managed VPS provider that can meet the demands mentioned above? I can browse their services and see what fits!

Thanks

Suggestions anybody? Quality "Unmanaged" VPS provider that I can rely on to run my shared hosting service?

Thanks guys for your replies, I've said "preferably" : ) I am not so fixed on that, or on the budget either! But I currently have the following:

I do not think the budget is so low for these specs and if they are then I guess I have a great deal with leaseweb now

I checked leaseweb and I found this server for $86/mo:

Server: HP ProLiant DL120
    CPU: 1x Intel Quad Core Xeon X3210
    Server Control Panel: cPanel/WHM
    RAM: 8GB DDR2
    Harddisk: 2x500GB SATA2
    Bandwidth: 5000 GB
    Network type: Premium
    IP: 2
    Uplink Port Speed: 1 x 100Mbps Full-Duplex

This is a dedicated server, with more 2.5 times the bandwidth, and 6 times the storage space, and again "DEDICATED".

If this server costs $86/mo then I guess a VPS with less specs should not cost more than $50/mo Don't you think? If it was all about the SSD then I can give that up! No problem.

It's true that 150 websites might need a dedicated server but most of them are not active, barely get few visits a day aside from bots and search engines.

Nevertheless, what is a good self-managed VPS provider that can meet the demands mentioned above? I can browse their services and see what fits!

Thanks
    Unfortunately the math does not work that way

There is a threshold where a VPS actually becomes more expensive, possibly a lot more, than a basic dedicated server as no matter how many virtual machines are on the host node the cost of the host node is the same.

A node used for hosting VPS servers typically has to be very powerful as it is assumed 90% of the virtual machines on it will only be 1-4GB instances which means the node will be hosting A LOT of virtual machines which in turn means big CPU & lots of HDD's + RAID.

Once you pass about 4-6GB of RAM on a VPS it will be cheaper to get a small dedicated server, however keep in mind your small dedicated server will likely not have anywhere near the same performance as a well managed vps from a reputable vendor.

VPS will be more "powerful" - more better CPU/More CPU, Faster HDD's, RAID etc.

Good luck on your search!

The thing is, 500GB HDDs are cheap and so is bandwidth. CPU and RAM however are not that cheap. And neither is SSD storage, which you said you needed. Also, a dedicated server is generally not more expensive than a VPS with the same specs, it's just different.

When looking at the excellent SSD VPS provider DigitalOcean.com, I see they charge $80 per month for 8GB RAM, 4 cores, 80GB SSD storage and 5TB traffic. As you can see, far above your $50. And you only get one IP and no option to buy more.