Running shared hosting on AWS Cloud?

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone else is looking to AWS or Rackspace cloud to build out a shared hosting platform?

I'm currently doing some sums and I think for what i'm looking to do, AWS / Rackspace / other cloud would be an ideal solution. It would provide me with the ability to scale up and down as required to meet customer demands and also save me in having to hire network admins, additional tech staff to visit the datacenter to fix / deploy new servers, hold hardware for replacements, no longer required to manage DDoS attacks etc and save me on capex as I'm just buying what I need and focus on my core business, in addition to receiving annual price drops from cloud providers

I read this cPanel blog entry where they talked about cPanel's DNS only and now that cPanel supports 1:1 NAT and Server Name Indication (SNI) for SSL on a Centos 6 OS, the average VM will only require 1 IPv4 / IPv6 address and will work perfectly with NAT or public IP VMs.

I've read that mail / SMTP would go out via some random IP on the Amazon NAT gateway, so I'd likely get a dedicated server with a handful of IPs and run VMware or the like using Centos / Exim / Spam Assassin SMTP gateway and smart host mail from the cPanel VMs through it, run a firewall on Amazon platform and CSF for additional security locally. I'd likely run a 3 server cPanel DNS cluster using 3 different providers (e.g Linode / Rackspace / AWS) in different regions to ensure 100% DNS zone file availability.

Has anyone done this before? I'm still doing some sums, but I think this might be a more cost effective solution and scale for growth then going the purchase servers and colo / manage your own network route.

Cloud providers can support your requirements... I personally don't like AWS and RS prices are a concern...

With dedicated servers you still at risk having hardware failure... however cloud would be better approach as your provider will seamlessly migrate you across compute nodes as needed in case of a hardware failure.

If you choose the right provider/s you should get seamless scaling options up or down..

Rather than getting dedicated servers and install /manage each one.. would be better if you get a provider who have multiple datacenters and can support your requirements all together..

Also one provider will have tunnels in place between all of their datacenters and most likely the same management tool (in your example vCenter) can access all datacenters and give you flexibility to move servers around /or clone , from/to and so on..

Hope that helps!

Make a guess
    It is unlikely that anyone has tried AWS for shared hosting and put it into production. I believe there would have been people who have tested stuff but there are limitations you could run into until control panels like Cpanel and others support cloud infrastructure fully.
    Shashank Wagh.
    Systems Administrator.