Spider KVM and Dell C1100 (CS24-SC)

Right now, I am attempting to get an OS installed on a Dell C1100 (CS24-SC) server using a Lantronix Spider KVM (USB). The KVM unit does have the auxiliary power connected to it for the ability to reach the server's BIOS.

I have tried using the drive redirection feature with both an ISO and a local DVD drive with the ISO mounted on it; however when rebooting the server to set the boot priority to the correct device to get the OS installed, the KVM console hangs when "detecting USB storage devices" which doesn't allow me to press F4 to access the BIOS. After a few minutes, the console starts working again but skips past the BIOS screen and goes to try to boot. Therefore, it can't find a boot device because it wasn't set.

I am able to access the BIOS without issue if there is no ISO redirection setup which makes the server skip the detection of USB storage devices so it doesn't hang. When that happens though, there is no option in the boot device priority menu to choose the virtual USB.

Anybody know of a way to get around this?

Have you checked if the BIOS is 100% up to date?

I've seen a number of boards which don't like virtual devices
    █► AllWorldIT ~ ISP / Hosting Provider / Government / Carrier Solutions
    █► HostOnARope ~ 24/7 SupportShared HostingReseller HostingVPS Servers
    █► www.hostonarope.com | AllWorldIT Online Product Range | visit AllWorldIT.com
    █► Official Proxmox Partner ~ UK/USA/ZASupport & SLA's Available

Quote Originally Posted by nkawit View Post
    Have you checked if the BIOS is 100% up to date?
    There aren't BIOS updates available for the CS24-SC systems, as they are unsupported by Dell.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

If you are using KVM ISO redirection usually you would be selecting the Virtual CDROM, not USB.

However, it could be that your KVM is set up that your user to be 'operator' in which case, it delays the boot process for 30 seconds or so when you have an .ISO attached which will stop you being able to select the boot menu.

Quote Originally Posted by CB-Carlos View Post
    Right now, I am attempting to get an OS installed on a Dell C1100 (CS24-SC) server using a Lantronix Spider KVM (USB). The KVM unit does have the auxiliary power connected to it for the ability to reach the server's BIOS.

I have tried using the drive redirection feature with both an ISO and a local DVD drive with the ISO mounted on it; however when rebooting the server to set the boot priority to the correct device to get the OS installed, the KVM console hangs when "detecting USB storage devices" which doesn't allow me to press F4 to access the BIOS. After a few minutes, the console starts working again but skips past the BIOS screen and goes to try to boot. Therefore, it can't find a boot device because it wasn't set.

I am able to access the BIOS without issue if there is no ISO redirection setup which makes the server skip the detection of USB storage devices so it doesn't hang. When that happens though, there is no option in the boot device priority menu to choose the virtual USB.

Anybody know of a way to get around this?

I'd recommend hooking up the aux power (a basic cell phone charger will work)... with USB-only power the spider resets each time you reboot the server and it can't present virtual storage in time for booting.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I'd recommend hooking up the aux power (a basic cell phone charger will work)... with USB-only power the spider resets each time you reboot the server and it can't present virtual storage in time for booting.
    Some of the USB chargers won't work. The Spider KVMs are picky.

We've had success with ones that have an Input rating of at least 200mA and output of 800mA to 1000mA @ 5V.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by qps View Post
    Some of the USB chargers won't work. The Spider KVMs are picky.

We've had success with ones that have an Input rating of at least 200mA and output of 800mA to 1000mA @ 5V.
    This is true, however most cell phones these days require similar. That said, I've had success with the smaller Iphone and Kindle 'squares'.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters