Possible to whitelable cPanel?

I have a reseller account that isn't whitelabelled when you connect to cPanel. It'll show the original provider's hostname in the URL box. Apparently nobody ever told them it's nicer for their customers if they were to use a discreet neutral hostname for resellers or their customers own provided hostname instead.

Is there any technical methods to whitelabel connecting to cPanel to mask the provider's hostname?

Quote Originally Posted by A Goat View Post
    I have a reseller account that isn't whitelabelled when you connect to cPanel. It'll show the original provider's hostname in the URL box. Apparently nobody ever told them it's nicer for their customers if they were to use a discreet neutral hostname for resellers or their customers own provided hostname instead.

Is there any technical methods to whitelabel connecting to cPanel to mask the provider's hostname?
    You could use a CNAME and use the servers hostname and use whatever domain you'd like. Some companies don't whitelabel everything.

It depends if they have cPanel configured to redirect to the hostname (or the SSL version) or not. If not, you can use yourdomain.com/cpanel and it will preserve your domain in the URL rather than the hostname. But that will just hide the domain from the URL. It wouldn't be too hard for a customer to find the hostname using other methods.

cPanel reseller hosts that offer a whitelabel solution always use a whitelabeled domain that doesn't have an association with the company.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

Quote Originally Posted by BrettB View Post

cPanel reseller hosts that offer a whitelabel solution always use a whitelabeled domain that doesn't have an association with the company.
    This ^.

It can be hard to fully white-label a service, but the hostname shouldn't be a difficulty - it's just one setting change then a renewal of the SSL, maybe get onto the provider and see if they can improve it!

Quote Originally Posted by iexo View Post
    This ^.

It can be hard to fully white-label a service, but the hostname shouldn't be a difficulty - it's just one setting change then a renewal of the SSL, maybe get onto the provider and see if they can improve it!
    True, changing the hostname is easy however, it will break mail for any mail clients using the current hostname. Probably not the best idea..at least without updating customers on said servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    True, changing the hostname is easy however, it will break mail for any mail clients using the current hostname. Probably not the best idea..at least without updating customers on said servers.
    You can always keep the old A records

- Alexander
    HostUS - Premium Hosting Made Affordable
    TEN Worldwide locations spanning USA, Europe & Asia Pacific
    Own ASN, Own Network, Own IPs - AS7489 & AS25926

Easy solution would be ask your hosting provider to disable cpanel redirection to Hostname. They can change this from root WHM >> Tweak settings.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

You can use a RVSkin theme if your hosting provider supports it. Then you can customize it on WHM.
    domainCart - PHP / AJAX Domain and Hosting Order Script | WHMCS Alternative
    Supports 700+ domain extensions, 27+ payment gateways, multi-currency with auto exchange..
    www.domaincart.net | Demo (all in one - without template)

Cpanel makes it every easy to customize every part of it, the theme, the nameservers, etc. If your host doesn't have an anonymous hostname, they may not realize that your customers will see it. Just ask them and they may change it to something general/anonymous which would benefit all of their customers.
    PlatinumServerManagement (also known as PSM)
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 21 years! Currently supporting over 3,000+ servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce & Authorized cPanel Partner.

Quote Originally Posted by dhcart View Post
    You can use a RVSkin theme if your hosting provider supports it. Then you can customize it on WHM.
    The OP is talking about the URL, NOT the skin or look. Read first.
    ☆☆☆ Cool Domain Names - DomainSale.link☆☆☆

I believe if you use port 2082 or 2086, it will not redirect to the server's hostname as these are non-ssl ports and will stay on the url that you type in.

I would just change providers. Really, unless you are the first reseller account, (which wouldnt be good) then if they havent worked to help their current resellers, then it is unlikely they will cater specifically to you. Ask for a refund, explain why you are leaving, and see what they offer to retain you.

Asking what the hostname is, is something that nearly everyone neglects to ask before signup, but is an important question for all resellers to consider before signup.
    @Stevensst, if any client types in their own url (which they usually do) and do :2087, it will reveal the hostname. Simply asking clients to sign into cpanel using IP:2086 is not the answer.

Well you could find a reseller who has a whitelisted server, so it's a hostname of the host, however there's no trace back to them, it's a random domain with a private whois.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_matt View Post
    I would just change providers. Really, unless you are the first reseller account, (which wouldnt be good) then if they havent worked to help their current resellers, then it is unlikely they will cater specifically to you. Ask for a refund, explain why you are leaving, and see what they offer to retain you.
    Yeah apparently they only offer it on plans normally $60~ a month which is downright ridlcious.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevensst View Post
    I believe if you use port 2082 or 2086, it will not redirect to the server's hostname as these are non-ssl ports and will stay on the url that you type in.
    Interesting, you are correct. I wonder if there is a way to redirect /cpanel to that, maybe through htaccess?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    You could use a CNAME and use the servers hostname and use whatever domain you'd like. Some companies don't whitelabel everything.
    Can you elaborate on this with a specific example of what I'd do? @Kingfish85.

Can you elaborate on this with a specific example of what I'd do? @Kingfish85.
    cPanel > Domains > Advanced DNS Zone Editor

Name: yourhostname.yourdomain.com
    TTL: 14400
    Type: CNAME
    CNAME: server1.hostdoman.com

In this day and age I would think that providing your resellers with a white label hostname is automatic, however I have been surprised by some companies not providing this basic part of the service. With that being said, I have seen instances where newer companies did not have this in place (and after it being mentioned) they corrected the issue. Just depends on how patient you want to be with your new company. Personally, if you are not in a hurry, i would just open up a ticket and see if they can address the issue in a timely manner. If they cant, move onto the next and make sure you ask about the hostname before signing up.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post

@CW Mike explained it exactly.

EDIT: This will whitelabel to an extent, not 100% whitelabel. For example, there's still IP's with RDNS tied to the server.

I would change hosts if it's that much of a bother because if they leave it the way it is, I guarantee you that your customers are going to be able to find out if they just do a little searching.

Quote Originally Posted by GVH-Jon View Post
    I would change hosts if it's that much of a bother because if they leave it the way it is, I guarantee you that your customers are going to be able to find out if they just do a little searching.
    That's beside the point. A little searching mean it's at least obscure. Why would I want to basically give free advertising (that's what it is) to the original hosting provider who is undercutting me?

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post

Doesn't work. Still redirects to their URL.

If they're going to autoredirect cpanel to a domain it should at least be a white label domain that does not have their brand or name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneZSolutions View Post
    If they're going to autoredirect cpanel to a domain it should at least be a white label domain that does not have their brand or name on it.
    Got the following reply from the host:

Our branding is on the IP, not the domain name. If you request rDNS be set up on your domain's IP, your domain's name will appear instead of ours.

Domains just need to meet the following criteria for rDNS to be set up:

Clients requesting Reverse DNS / PTR on their assigned IP space must adhere to the following policies:

The domain requested in the PTR must be older than 60 days
    Clients must create and maintain matching FWD "A" records for the requested PTR
    The PTR requested must be a unique, browser loadable website -OR- justification must be provided as to the use of the PTR
    Maybe this will do it?