What happens in this case?

This might be obvious, but I better ask: if I buy a dedicated server and don't buy RAID 1 and the HDD fails, do I lose everything?

Also why extra HDD and RAID 1 cost SO much more?

If you don't have backups, yes you can lose everything. It's just like your home computer if a hard drive fails and you do not have any backups.

Raid 1 requires a secondary hard drive to mirror the contents from the first hard drive. So you're adding the cost of this secondary drive, and possibly the cost of a hardware raid card also.

Even if you go with RAID, you should have off-site backups for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCutter View Post
    Also why extra HDD and RAID 1 cost SO much more?
    I haven't found extra HDDs to be particularly expensive in general. I suppose it depends on your provider.

Hardware RAID cards can be relatively expensive, which is why you have to pay extra for hardware RAID. However, there are also software options that won't cost extra, but will have different performance characteristics than the hardware solutions.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

Every provider will have different costs for upgrades (e.g. Additional Hard Drives) as well as varying prices for Hardware RAID. Most offer free Software RAID, but yes, Hardware RAID Cards can be a bit expensive.

Also some will charge a labor fee for installing the RAID Card and/or the additional Hard Drives.

As for your first question, you should always in general have back-ups of your data, but as mentioned already, it's like your home computer. If you don't have back-ups and it crashes, there goes your data.
    David Byrne | Dedispec, LLC.
    Affordable Dedicated Servers | Storage & GPU Servers | Web Hosting | Colocation | West Virginia, Missouri & Texas
    www.dedispec.com - sales@dedispec.com

Raid doesn't mean 100% assurance of data safety in case of hard drive failure, best option is to have a raid setup & also take regular backups of your data.
    Last edited by Shoaib_A; 12-22-2013 at 05:43 AM.

Hardware RAID is more expensive to setup than Software RAID generally, plus you need to pay for the cost of the additional drive.

I've seen most providers offer software RAID for free though when they offer multiple drives.

just for note using raid doesnt mean your data is safe like in this case : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1332986 he use raid 1 but still he lose his data
    about price it depend what company do you use, for example in WII you could get e3 server with 2x250 gb hdd in raid 1 just for $49/mo

I have 1TB of files + 300GB of DB. Those are a lot of data and is impossible to download them from my Internet line, unless I leave the PC open 1 month downloading, but then the data will be old...

In this day and era buying great server from a great provider with support and everything it is very reasonably priced. If you double the SSD and double the HDD and add a raid card, we talk about 1.5+ times the cost. This 50%+ increase in cost makes me tell to myself: why buy this and don't buy 2 servers instead?

Obviously I will backup my few megabytes scripts but is impossible to backup this sea of data.

How important are the data? Well, they are, those data are my business.

I can slowly download those and store them to another server. Foe example each time a new file is generated, send it to another server in the same provider (so it will go much faster than on the internet) and on each MySQL query, do the same thing on the database of the other server. I can do this, but, will it work?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, isn't much more likely for an HDD in a server to fail, because providers use heavily used HDDs on their servers?

And REALLY, how youtube keeps ALL of those petabytes of video safe and server corrupted?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCutter View Post
    I have 1TB of files + 300GB of DB. Those are a lot of data and is impossible to download them from my Internet line, unless I leave the PC open 1 month downloading, but then the data will be old...

In this day and era buying great server from a great provider with support and everything it is very reasonably priced. If you double the SSD and double the HDD and add a raid card, we talk about 1.5+ times the cost. This 50%+ increase in cost makes me tell to myself: why buy this and don't buy 2 servers instead?

Obviously I will backup my few megabytes scripts but is impossible to backup this sea of data.

How important are the data? Well, they are, those data are my business.

I can slowly download those and store them to another server. Foe example each time a new file is generated, send it to another server in the same provider (so it will go much faster than on the internet) and on each MySQL query, do the same thing on the database of the other server. I can do this, but, will it work?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, isn't much more likely for an HDD in a server to fail, because providers use heavily used HDDs on their servers?

And REALLY, how youtube keeps ALL of those petabytes of video safe and server corrupted?
    Congratulations, you re-invented the concept of server clusters.

RAID 1 will make it so that if one of your hard drives fail, in most cases, you will not feel it (too much).

However, as you said, your data is your business and you must back it up. Whatever your platform is, please look into the option of doing incremental backups, that is, only backing up the changes.

Many hosts offer you the option of renting storage space. You pay $x per month for 400 GB of storage space which you will backup your content to with full and then incremental backups and a retention of your choice.

Good luck.
    Maple-Hosting - Netherlands Dedicated Servers
    Award-Winning Highly-Customizable Dedicated Servers Since 2008

“After 14 months, I can’t give them less than 10/10 on all aspects!” - Read Our Customer Reviews