Question How to transfer 180gb cpanel account?

I need to transfer a cpanel account from one server to another. The account is just over 180gb in size. Can you suggest a good (reliable) method for the transfer?

Should I use the transfer utility in the WHM? Can it be done using command-line? Or is there a different method?

Thanks.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

There are few ways. If you have SSH access on the new host, you can ask the old host to take a backup and put it in a public directory (or you can do it yourself if you know what you are doing) and wget it via SSH at the new host.

An easier way will be, create a new ftp account at the new host. Now login to the old host cpanel account, go to backup, select complete backup and select "To a remote ftp directory" option and provide the ftp details of the new account you just created. The backup will be created and uploaded to the new server automatically.

You can do it via cpanel

http://prntscr.com/2cxo3h
    ▄▀▄ Offshore Dedicated Servers
    ▄▀▄ Keep your privacy!
    ▄▀▄ Europe Servers with DDoS Protection
    ▄▀▄ www.evoluso.com / [email protected] / SKYPE: evoluso.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gualter View Post
    You can do it via cpanel

http://prntscr.com/2cxo3h
    I have a feeling the WHM transfer utility isn't going to work well for a 180gb account.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    I have a feeling the WHM transfer utility isn't going to work well for a 180gb account.
    I highly doubt it. I'd recommend doing as much as you can manually using rsync.

What is most of the data that's contributing to that amount of storage?
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    I highly doubt it. I'd recommend doing as much as you can manually using rsync.

What is most of the data that's contributing to that amount of storage?
    I'm thinking to follow the instructions here:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f338/how-ma...tml#post839621

It's a little old.. but should still be ok? What do you think?

The 180gb is mostly things like .pdf files, etc... but their database is over 60gb. (It'a very large repository of open-source books.)

I'm thinking to follow the instructions here:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f338/how-ma...tml#post839621

It's a little old.. but should still be ok? What do you think?

The 180gb is mostly things like .pdf files, etc... but their database is over 60gb. (It'a very large repository of open-source books.)
    Well, I've never done one of this size, or anywhere close to it. I think the problem you're going to run into is trying to package the account.

You could certainly try it, but if it were me, I would move it manually.
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    You could certainly try it, but if it were me, I would move it manually.
    What do you mean, by manually?

What do you mean, by manually?
    Manually dump the database & copy it.

Copy the files over manually using rsync.

Who knows how long it would take cPanel to generate the backup, if it even worked. You could spend an entire day waiting on the backup job to complete, only to find out it's unusable due to the size.

Rsync is really the best idea. You would want to create a backup manually of the account on the origin host using the skip home directory flag
    Code:
    /scripts/pkgacct --skiphomedir $user
    You may also want to skip the MySQL depending on the size as well. Then use the backup you created to restore the account account on the new server. Finally use rsync to transfer the home directories for the account you can probably just do the public_html folder contents instead of the home folder. Make sure you turn on recursive directories when using rsync though.
    VudooHosting.com - since 2010
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Premium 24/7 Support
    Money Back Guarantee | 24/7 Monitoring
    Shared - Reseller - Basic Managed VPS - Fully Managed VPS - Minecraft

11. I don't think the cPanel method will work.
    Copy web files using FTP or other methods to your new server.
    Tricky part will be the DB, being 60GB you will have to dump it on the new server/hosting and ask their admin to add it in manually. Phpmyadmin won't work with such a large file.
    Hostabulous | cPanel (Linux) & Plesk (Windows) Hosting KVM VPS R1Soft backups | Proudly Canadian
    Cloudflare LiteSpeed Cloudlinux Remote backups Anti-Spam Web App Firewall Canada/US/Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Vudoo View Post
    Finally use rsync to transfer the home directories for the account. Make sure you turn on recursive directories when using rsync though.
    What would be the correct way to do this? (What is the rsync command?)

Thanks!

The quickest way I do without messing with too many commands is move the public_html out of the old server's account folder. Then generate a backup, transfer it over to the new server. Restore the backup file and update the DNS. Then sync the public_html folder

If the account owner require uptime then you would sync the public_html folder first. Then do the backup generation after the sync is done, restore and move the public_html folder back in and then do a sync again.

Thanks!
    VimHost█ Providing Web Hosting since 2003: 13 Years of Dedication to our customers ~ Premium Hosting in Canada
    Email Hosting | RTMP Hosting | FFMPEG Hosting

To copy over the 120gb home folder files, do you think it is better to use "scp" or "rsync"?

start a screen session then run rsync

To copy over the 120gb home folder files, do you think it is better to use "scp" or "rsync"?
    VimHost█ Providing Web Hosting since 2003: 13 Years of Dedication to our customers ~ Premium Hosting in Canada

scp or rsync should do just Fine.

Not really a point of using scp. If the connection breaks, he will have to use rsync to resume where he left off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by davywavy View Post
    scp or rsync should do just Fine.

I need to transfer a cpanel account from one server to another. The account is just over 180gb in size. Can you suggest a good (reliable) method for the transfer?

Should I use the transfer utility in the WHM? Can it be done using command-line? Or is there a different method?

Thanks.
    If you have ssh access I'll do it using cPanel "pkgacct" command using argument "--split" (causes the archive to be created in chunks. This will reduce the overall load on the system). After you can use scp or rsync, so if connection is going down you'll just re-transfer the parts that wasn't transferred. (or using rsync to copy the directory /home/user and database).

Regards
    ROWEBCA
    Server Services

Quote Originally Posted by Rowebca View Post
    If you have ssh access I'll do it using cPanel "pkgacct" command using argument "--split" (causes the archive to be created in chunks. This will reduce the overall load on the system). After you can use scp or rsync, so if connection is going down you'll just re-transfer the parts that wasn't transferred. (or using rsync to copy the directory /home/user and database).
    That is the method I would suggest.

The built in cPanel tool can handle a few files; 180gb is a few too many!

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by lonea View Post
    start a screen session then run rsync

You would want to start a screen on the source server and then run the following:

Code:
    rsync -a -r -v -z -l -progress --ignore-existing -e "ssh -l root" /home/username/public_html/ DESTINATIONIP:/home/username/public_html/

Quick and dirty: Just do do a Full cPanel Backup, take the full cPanel backup file and manually transfer it to the destination server ( /home, /home2, /home3, /root, /usr, /usr/home, /web) using FTP, SCP, WGET or what ever method floats your boat. Then restore. Do not use the cPanel migration as this will probably fail, its meant for bulk transferring small accounts. Not large account migrations.

After the full cPanel backup is transferred to the destination host perform the "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove File" by entering the username of the account. Then watch the magic happen. If there are errors, check the restore log.

I've done plenty of large (100GB-800GB) accounts using this method. Its pretty fool proof...

Quote Originally Posted by Eased View Post
    Quick and dirty: Just do do a Full cPanel Backup, take the full cPanel backup file and manually transfer it to the destination server ...
    The issue with doing it this way though is if the new server is limited on space (like a SSD) it can sometimes not have this file and expand it as well, but with rsync you can avoid this.