Intel SSD 3500 VS Samsung 840 Pro ?

has anyone had this comparison before? It looks like 3500 is enterprise grade but 840 pro is consumer even many ppl use it on server anyway.

Price for both are very similar, which one you picked for shared hosting in terms of speed and stability?

We have been using 840 PRO for quite sometime on many storage arrays and no issues whatsoever.. In fact I do recommend using them...

We have over 100 840 Pro's in production in raid arrays on dell perc h710 controllers with no issues. It was tough to move away from legendary intel 320's reliability. Our decision came down to the s3500 and the 840 pros. When we compared the prices and availability between them we chose the samsungs. Been a few months now and so far no issues.

Ashburn VA, San Diego CA
    I've seen a lot of bad news with 840P's in RAID (at least with non-Dell controllers). Personally I'd go with Intel.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

I prefer the Intel for its track record, and had not one fail yet.

Only thing I do not like is their availability. No shops have them in stock here, unlike normal consumer SSDs you do can find at local computer shops if you need an extra one fast.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I've seen a lot of bad news with 840P's in RAID (at least with non-Dell controllers). Personally I'd go with Intel.
    Experienced some of that bad news first hand ourselves. There are some lengthy threads covering early RAID issues with the 840 Pro. Recent firmware patches supposedly resolved the RAID performance issues, but we're sticking with other brands after our experience with the 840 Pros.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit

Los Angeles, CA
    We have a few hundred of Samsung 840 Pro in both RAID and non-RAID and haven't had any problems with them. For our RAID setup we use LSI cards though.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)